Author Topic: gun scopes for night hunting  (Read 2900 times)

Offline yotekid

gun scopes for night hunting
« on: June 06, 2009, 11:08:31 PM »
looking for a scope for night and daytime hunting. i have a low budget, so high dollar scopes are an automatic no. I'm mainly worried about it at night, i will be using a scope light after i get one. If anyone can reccomend a low dollar scope light too that would be great. Anybody use the primos nightblasters? All replys are greatly appreciated, or feel free to email me. Will be used on my .222/20 ga.
Thanks yotekid
« Last Edit: June 06, 2009, 11:11:00 PM by yotekid »
Coyote is always out there waiting, and Coyote is always hungry. ~Navajo

Offline foxtrot

• PPHA Forum GURU
Re: gun scopes for night hunting
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2009, 11:33:19 PM »
Yotekid,
 I have a gun similar to what you are using and the red dot sights work very well.They are not real expensive and they allow you to draw a bead on your target quickly when using your 20 gauge.I tried a lighted scope one year and always seemed to struggle getting the target in the crosshairs.For longer range shooting a scope would probably be a more accurate choice.Its kind of hard to get the best of both worlds.

Offline Critterslayer51

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
    • Middletown Anglers and Hunters Association
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2009, 12:21:12 AM »
I think burris makes a scope that has a illuminated dot retecial within crosshairs for around 85 bucks...my buddy just got it online...i'll talk to him for more details
District 2 ...Dauphin County...~PA Fish and Boat Commission, Huntsdale State Fish Hatchery~ Trappers District 11
              "CritterDone"

Offline yotekid

« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2009, 12:03:24 PM »
looking forward to hearing about the burris
Coyote is always out there waiting, and Coyote is always hungry. ~Navajo

Offline 220_Woody

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2009, 01:37:32 PM »
look no further.

http://www.muelleroptics.com/products/MU3940IGR.html

had this one for 7yrs now on my Savage 24F-12. it gets an a$$ whoopin every year out in the field and holds its zero. gotta figure how many times that gun goes in and out of my vehicle, extreme temp's, banged in the woods and pummled with 3" mag shells....cant say enough about mine. 8)
A critic is a legless man who teaches running.
- Channing Pollock

Offline muttbuster

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2009, 09:46:36 PM »
Yotekid, I have a nightblaster but it isn't very good. I use a Nite Lite or several others. A good scope for the money is a Nikon Buckmaster 3x9. Cost is about $200.00 but it is very dependable. I've dropped my gun several times this past year trying to hunt on ice and it's never lost its zero. I tried a few of the inexpensive scopes but was never satisfied with them. BSA optics makes a lighted scope but the first time I tried to use it it broke. Returned it for the Nikon and it was a good move. I had it mounted to a 223 wssm and the kick might have something to do with it.   
President PPHA

uncle buck

« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2009, 08:57:58 PM »
Woody's right....The Mullers are cheap...$about $160.00 for a 3 X 9 40 MM and they take a beating.  I know of people that are now getting them on their deer guns.  Some nights you do not even need to activate the illuminated dot if you don't want too...