Author Topic: improving your weakness areas  (Read 1549 times)

uncle buck

improving your weakness areas
« on: February 13, 2015, 11:13:59 PM »
As predator callers you have to make a decision that you are going to be just like an athlete.  Your going to do your best to improve areas that you know your not up to par on... If your new read everything you can get your hands on go to a lot of seminars... Things will start to fall into place. 

However think back over the seasons in areas that made you fail!! It could be that you are hunting with the wrong person or persons... You go out there and your serious and you take someone who really could care less if you get a coyote... Oh your doomed here.  I think about a person I took for  3 years and he never even killed a fox but I called in well over 100 for him.. He actually missed 3-4  coyotes.  I learned that I had to dump this guy as a predator calling buddy..

Over the years...Now I'm getting into what my weakness is. oh UB putting himself on report...I'd say that it would be my night time shooting abilities.. However I knew right off that I had to get me a stabble shooting platform... Thanks to the E. Wilson Ranger shooting rest I now had to tool to improve my weakness.  I started making outstanding rifle shots way out there.  17 Rem, 17 Fireball, 17 Hornet  22 WMR kills from that rest.. So I knew my weak area. I wish many a time I could go back in time and had that Ranger  shooting rest  when I use to sit on the ground and shoot free hand with a rifle at night time while holding a light under the forearm of the rifle on a stick... Again still trying to be legal but shooting freehand at night time  100 + yards out there is just not feasible for me..

You new hunters it's not really the type of sounds you use that will put fur in the bed of the pick up truck.. Some of the stuff is just logic..  Get to know your targeted animal... Hunt them in their terrain how they act..  Don't give up and yes it will take many many moons of paying your dues... just think how it was for us older predator hunters.. We didn't have LED bulbs that were red in color.. Not electronics that used a remote, no lights  attached to our guns but we never gave up.  If you visit this site that probably means that you are serious about learning everything about predator calling....Learn each year from your mistakes and try to improve on them...

uncle buck

Re: improving your weakness areas
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2015, 11:21:55 PM »
Learn to read the cover... I hunted with E. Wilson one time and he said now I like this farm.. Of course what he was doing was reading the terrain in the distance.. Corn stubble, wood lots on a hill. extensive tree lines with patches of woods... On the negative side there were farms that had nothing what so ever on them and they were clear cut to the bone.. Nothing to hold  predator to hunt for field mice.. So learn to read land.. Play a game when you travel from Point A to Point b on the highways of Pa. As you pass large tracts of land look for cover (While making sure you watch the road) make mental thoughts of wow now there would be a good place to set up for a shot.. right at the base of the hill that predator would come over the top and bam!!!!!! like that learn to read land.. USE obstacles on the farmers land to your advantage... His or her house , barns, sheds, equipments, large piles of rocks.. winding streams etc.. make your scent go toward those obstacles since a predator not probably going to go through a farmers barn to come to your calling .. Make sure the wind is blowing toward the barn.. etc etc etc.