Author Topic: Coyotes leaving the area?  (Read 2458 times)

Offline Crowmagnum

• PPHA Members
  • Junior Forum Member
Coyotes leaving the area?
« on: February 17, 2010, 09:46:36 AM »
  A frind of mines brother was at a trapping convention,and it seems the trappers there were thinking the coyotes might be leaving the area from lack of food. And i believe this ,,an animal is gonna move where there is a food supply.I guess for this area the coyotes that have been trapped is very low! Deer numbers are still low for this area,,now coyote numbers low,,Whats next fox rabbit squirrel??  Or do you think maybe its just a bad year...Disease whats you guys thoughts?

uncle buck

Re: Coyotes leaving the area?
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2010, 10:20:13 AM »
Follow the deer and you will get coyotes... The article just published the other day confirmed that researched proved that the jaws of our coyotes are like a wolves...See our coyotes are deer eater no matter what people say that they only eat shrews, mice etc..Now they will do this eat mice... However... You find the core areas in your counties where the deer are and your going to get coyotes to come to your calling...

Coyotes being mammals  like us can't go to the grocery store.. They have to move on to where the food is... Thats all it is...They are just moving from point A to Point B...

Find the Deer Core Areas...  Core areas are where the deer yard up...Thats where your coyotes are......

Offline scott

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2010, 10:22:13 AM »
if it was the same article it stated that the eastern coyotes diet is 1/3 deer. 

uncle buck

« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2010, 10:33:08 AM »
Now that the deer can't move well in the deep snow in most parts of Pa...They hone in on the deer... Coyotes, Omnivores, the Opportunist!!!!!!

I have seen much this hunting season in relation to coyotes and deer... Could be we are blaming the PGC for the deer management..Could be the Pa Eastern coyotes are gorging themselves on deer when they are most vulnerable...

All Pa Predator Hunter need to hunt coyotes hard in March or your fawn population in May and June will be a bit lower... Pups....Coyotes need the protein for their pups about that time frame...

Also I want to go Spring Gobbler hunting this year.  Wow a chance to bag a Gobbler OK but wow better yet in my eyes is a coyote with Butterball on his mind????????

Offline lonewolf

« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2010, 11:14:58 PM »
Im not sold on the coyote deer debate ! Like you said a coyote is an oportunist it will take a fawn or injured deer but to think the coyotes are causing that big of an impact on our deer population im not buying it! If you read 1/3 the diet of a coyote is deer that may very well be the case but the deers cause of death is not determined!We can blame greed for our deer herd debacle thanks gary alt

Offline swarter2

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2010, 08:54:19 AM »
I do know one thing the yotes are hurting in my area.  The turkey population.  I used to see flocks of 25-30 birds year round.  Now I'm lucky if I see a single bird.
David P Swarter
286 Parkview Drive
Souderton, Pa 18964
Cell (215)285-1820
e-mail - swarter32@verizon.net
District 2
Bees Obrien Game Calls Field Staff

Offline Critterslayer51

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
    • Middletown Anglers and Hunters Association
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2010, 11:08:08 AM »
someone said whats next...rabbits...squirrels...fox...hahaha the only place I can really pile up some squirrels is behind my house...rabbits...ha, haven't seen a bunch of them since the days i've hunted with beagles...now coyotes...they're a little better rabbit hunters than the average joe so i'm sure if there are rabbits, rodents, road kills, and deer not making it through a harsh winter, o and almost forgot holiday chickens(turkeys)...i'm pretty sure they'll still be in the area...remember folks...a yote has very large home range...one month he's here at this farm the next he could be in the next township
District 2 ...Dauphin County...~PA Fish and Boat Commission, Huntsdale State Fish Hatchery~ Trappers District 11
              "CritterDone"

Offline Subextrmtr

« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2010, 12:40:09 AM »
No doubt, I'm not a coyot hunting expert, but I enjoy huntin em. I've lived outside of Adamstown for 23yrs. I feel with increased # of doe harvest in 5/C zone yotes are migrating towards chester, montg.,bucks ect. Any thoughts? This is definiatly an eastern Pa question.