Author Topic: Hand calls for young kids?  (Read 1535 times)

Offline scott

• PPHA Forum GURU
Hand calls for young kids?
« on: November 27, 2009, 08:28:16 AM »
Wednesday Forrest was over a buddies house,  he is also a 10 year old that likes to hunt they are always talking about squirrel hunting,  when i went to pick up Forrest his buddy starts asking me all these questions about predator hunting.  what calls to use for fox, what calls to use for coyote, what gun.  whole bunch of other stuff.  so i told him i would give him a call the next time i saw him.   i went home and found that foxpro keychain one i got for free and his mom stopped by and picked it up, also gave him a light to use with a red lense. 

Got a call today from his mom that he drove her nuts for 2 days with that call, she wanted to know what other calls she can get him.   i don't use hand calls much and i am better with a closed reed because of duck hunting and i don't practice with the open reed like i should.   1 call i already told her would be the bulb squeaker anybody else have a suggestion for a call for young kids?   

Offline predator77

• PPHA Forum GURU
  • Ian
    • Facebook
Re: Hand calls for young kids?
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2009, 10:15:29 AM »
The pro's and con's are endless. My boy has lost all of my closed reed calls reeds but they are the easiest to learn on. The Johnny Stewart pc3 bite call is awesome and is easy to bite (unlike most) and will make bird sounds to mouse squeaks as well as cottontail but is will get filled with spit quickly.
FayetteNam

Offline bootmud

• Seasoned Forum Member
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2009, 01:37:06 PM »
I have on of the Sceery bite style reeds.  Great call and a unique sound!  The only problem is it freezes up quick from moisture.  Any closed reed is a good reed for a kid to learn with! :)

uncle buck

« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2009, 04:06:01 PM »
One of the most easiest of the open reeds to master for new hunters is Primos....Lil Dogs.....Now you do have to practice with them but they are a lot easier to use.....
I also think Primos Regulator is also easier to use then others.

Also suggest some of the other bulbs squeakers that do more then just the fieldmouse sounds...Some do woodpeckers, somedo puppy whines.
Good thing is they do not freeze up in the winter like closed reed calls....

If your going to use a closed reed call get one with a plastic reed...It be the metal ones that freeze up....Let see I think Primos KIYI call has a plastic closed reed....Also Woodwise products in Tenn make a few plastic closed reed calls...

Offline scott

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2009, 05:51:26 PM »
i picked up the JS Rabbit closed reed for Forrest's friend today.  Forrest was with me and wanted to try the Varible Tone one,  boy that is a nice call, he sounds really good with it, just might have to steal that one from him once in a while.