Author Topic: Question ?  (Read 3595 times)

Offline longhair

• Seasoned Forum Member
Question ?
« on: October 28, 2009, 04:53:57 PM »
My question is, would a picture of a critter be as good as a kill ? The reason that I ask this is, I was never into the "fur" thing. And I usually eat what I harvest. (with the exception of groundhogs)

Now if you call something in range and get the picture and have a date/time stamp on the picture, is that a"kill shot" ?

Don't take this wrong. If any critter is over populated or causing a problem, they ought to be thinned out. But sometimes a picture is just as good and it lets them live for another day.

Just a thought that I had........what's yours ?
Whatado !!!!
District 6
"When the queen is happy, There's peace in the kingdom."

Offline coyotelord

• Junior Forum Member
Re: Question ?
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2009, 05:46:53 PM »
longhair, I believe the site you were looking for is www.peta.com.  This is ppha.us.  Hope this helps with the confusion   :P ;D

Offline 220_Woody

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2009, 05:55:03 PM »
shutter speed & focal length are one thing....

wind drift, moving targets, bullet trajectory & elevation are another ;)

i know your not into the "fur" thing Longhair....if your not into the skinning thing, i bet there is a furbuyer in your area that'll take'em on the whole..or on the cob as i like to call it. ;D
A critic is a legless man who teaches running.
- Channing Pollock

Offline Lifes2fun

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2009, 06:06:20 PM »
LongHair...I will agree that I take just as much pride in some of the pics I have gotten over the years.

I dont have a lot of predator pics, except bears, and I do like my deer and waterfowl pics.
I know where youre coming from bud  ;D

Now if youre talking contest.....no a pic wouldnt be as good as a kill, unless it is a pic contest  ;D
THIS IS SPARTA!!

Offline bigben

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2009, 06:55:29 PM »
I tell ya I have not done the photo thing but the video thing is alot harder then people think.  it is actually easier to kill a predator then to get good usable footage of one coming to a call.  so for me if you are getting out there and getting pics or video of one coming to a call then go for it.  doesn't matter to me one way or another.  I have heard before that guys use to shoot the ears of a coyote to punch a hole in the ear to mark that you called it in and could have killed it.  now this could be rumor also.  heck I do not even know if it is legal to do in pa.
“If you want to know all about a man, go camping with him. Probably you think you know him already, but if you have never camped on the trail with him, you do not”. Eldred Nathaniel Woodcock. “Fifty Years a Hunter and Trapper.”

uncle buck

« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2009, 07:41:01 PM »
I  tend to get a lot of critters into my light beam....The light beam would be like holding up a camera and taking a picture...Now shooting that critter with a gun, at night, in cold weather, in range, is another thing...

Might be good to have photogaphers in the group have their own hunt like this..However I do not think shooting a fox at 250 yards with a center fire rifle at night time is quite equal to shooting one with a camera....
Nothing wrong with having an event like this but not when people are using guns too....

Offline scott

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2009, 08:16:06 PM »
Nothing wrong with having an event like this but not when people are using guns too....

now there is an idea, we can have an off season camera hunt, day before the hunt, a date could be set for everyone to set their camera's and the pic has to read between a certain date and time.  be a cool hunt when they have their young. 

Offline longhair

• Seasoned Forum Member
« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2009, 12:38:15 AM »
Ok, it's just food for thought. Maybe an off season type of thing.
Whatado !!!!
District 6
"When the queen is happy, There's peace in the kingdom."