Author Topic: Mistakes you made this season  (Read 2497 times)

Offline foxpro51

• PPHA Forum GURU
Mistakes you made this season
« on: February 23, 2009, 09:10:01 PM »
Ok, now that the season is over for predators lets here some of the mistakes you have made. 1. I let my partner Muttbuster shot and miss to many of the predators. LOL    2. Never use a broken light on gun. That cost me a coyote.

Offline muttbuster

• PPHA Forum GURU
Re: Mistakes you made this season
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2009, 09:21:40 PM »
It was the callers fault. He called all of them in the wrong way.LOL
President PPHA

Offline foxpro51

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2009, 08:49:16 AM »
Sorry mutttbuster. I'll practice calling them in broadside and making them stop at 50 yards.

Offline bigben

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2009, 02:27:15 PM »
yeah I did not hunt as much as I would have liked to.  that is my biggest mistake I made.  the rest of the mistakes paled in comparison.  sure I had plenty of times wonderin why I setup a certian way or why that fox came in the way it did but the more mistakes ya make and you identify them the more you will learn.
“If you want to know all about a man, go camping with him. Probably you think you know him already, but if you have never camped on the trail with him, you do not”. Eldred Nathaniel Woodcock. “Fifty Years a Hunter and Trapper.”

Offline ysp1503

• Junior Forum Member
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2009, 06:00:52 PM »
I was hunting by myself 2 weeks ago using my 223/12ga with a firefly scope. Now you have to shine a flashlight in the scope for a minute in order to get the recticles glowing. Well i forgot to do that! So i was calling about 10 minutes and saw eyes about 75 yards away, i was figuring on using the 223. so i started squeeking a little an he kept comin closer an closer , finally in shotgun range i switched to the 12 ga. When i looked through the scope I could just barely see the recticles and so got my eye up closer to the scope. When I pulled the trigger on that 3 inch mag that scope busted me right between the eyes! Blood runnin down all over myself and about half a headache! Wont do that again. And no didn't get the fox to add insult to injury! :-\

Offline muttbuster

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2009, 06:06:32 PM »
Nice story ysp1503.
President PPHA

Offline ysp1503

• Junior Forum Member
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2009, 06:23:14 PM »
Thanks but wish i could'nt have told it if ya know what i mean!

Offline muttbuster

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2009, 06:27:14 PM »
I've had a few of those stories myself.
President PPHA

Offline foxpro51

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2009, 07:05:13 PM »
Your right BIg. Trial and error makes us better hunters. I just wish my partner would lean that. LOL

Offline bigben

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2009, 07:27:15 PM »
a mistake is only a mistake if you take nothing from it.  take something from it and you learned a lesson.  you will be surprised how many times someone needs to smack ya between the eyes to see the light of day. 
“If you want to know all about a man, go camping with him. Probably you think you know him already, but if you have never camped on the trail with him, you do not”. Eldred Nathaniel Woodcock. “Fifty Years a Hunter and Trapper.”

Offline muttbuster

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2009, 09:08:03 PM »
I've been smacking my partner between the eyes for years and he still can't see, Day or night, he STILL miss's coyotes standing broadside begging to be shot! He even let me drive over my hunting seat and my new shooting sticks. You want to know what he said? Nothing, he didn't stop laughing for an hour!
President PPHA

Offline corey26

« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2009, 07:51:44 PM »
Setting up with the wind in my face seems to be a mistake. I have always heard to set up this way but
to often I have predators come in on the downwind side. Letting partners shoot instead of myself lol,
it's fun to bust them afterwards but I'd rather they get the critter than miss! Trying to walk in on crusty
snow and Ice, not good at all. Hunting alone at night with a new light set up and fumbling around to get
the shot off, cost myself a couple coons that way one night. Not hunting enough is always a mistake!
Proud member of the PPHA