Author Topic: Breaking the code on cheap electric  (Read 5611 times)

uncle buck

Breaking the code on cheap electric
« on: December 09, 2009, 05:25:45 PM »
PPL is urging people to get their electric  from other companies after the New Year.  Even though they will still bill you...Anyone have a handle on what electric companies would save you some money?  

I suppose you have to first determind what they will bill you for?

Generation is your biggest cost...
 The cost to for Transmission.  Transmission cover the cost to move electricity from power plants to local communitiezs.
Distribution covers the cost to delevier electricity the final leg of it journey to your door step.
So that is where your going to save money...The company that provides the cheapest Generation is where you will save money.
You need to cut down on the GENERATION by YOU buying it from the cheapest  supplier.  
Also important is how long the price will be in effect from the supplier...

Anyone get any electric offer from supplier in the mail yet? I'm still trying to break the codes yet.. I got one offer but figure I wait for some more to come in...

If you allow PPL to give your Info your suppose to get offers in the mail????

By the way if you do not go direct to a supplier your going to pay $100.00 more a month then you are now if you just let PPL provide the electric...wow $1200 a year loss thats a mighty fine rifle with a scope????
That like going to your front porch and throwing $100.00 up into the air every month...

« Last Edit: December 09, 2009, 05:27:17 PM by uncle buck »

Offline coyotelord

• Junior Forum Member
Re: Breaking the code on cheap electric
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2009, 11:51:35 PM »
what are some other options?  I thought you were stuck with PPL

uncle buck

« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2009, 12:43:20 AM »
PPL still bills you and you pay them a fee for the wiring outside your house and going into your house.  However everyone needs to pick a Suplier that is cheaper.. If you don't pick one PPL tacks on the extra $100.00.  It's as simple as that...  I did call the Public Utility Commission and asked for a list of Electrical Supplier and their list of prices...
News tonight said there are three provider in the Harrisburg, Pa area one is PPl and that will be the most expensive SUPPLIER.  The other two are cheaper....I probably will go on the Channel TV 27 news web site and see what the name of the other two SUPPLIERS are...
just keep in mind what I posted about what a Supplier really is in the above post....

Offline coyotelord

• Junior Forum Member
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2009, 11:28:44 AM »
I'd like to know this information when you find out which one is cheapest.  I too live in the Harrisburg area and have electric heat (central air.)  Thanks UB

uncle buck

« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2009, 02:51:47 PM »
Here is  one of the TV 27 news stories and it does give you two supplier you can buy from:

http://www.whtm.com/news/stories/1109/681050_video.html?ref=newsstory

By the way this is not in just SCPA.. It will happen all over the state of Pa..

uncle buck

« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2009, 02:56:11 PM »
Here is the web site that explains it all...The electrical cap ending, supplier guides, prices etc:

http://www.puc.state.pa.us/utilitychoice/listofsupp.aspx?ut=ec

Offline Lifes2fun

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2009, 03:39:39 PM »
UB how do I go about picking a supplier?  Do I just contact PPL? or do I contact the new company I want to supply my electric?

THIS IS SPARTA!!

uncle buck

« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2009, 08:53:19 PM »
Lifes2gfun

Youi should have received something in the mail last week from PPL...If you signed it and returned it they, PPL will not turn over your address  etc on file to all the companies... if you do nothing...You should soon get things in the mail offering you a cheaper rate from all the companies they turned your address contact info over too.  However we are getting close to Jan 2010.  You would think the mail box would be full with offers... PPl does not want to be your Supplier but they will take your money plus that extra $100.00 a month we posted about..  So..I am going to give it about a week...

Looks like Direct and Dominion are making offers to customers now... I think the web site said Direct was better then Dominion I qtr was it 14% and then 3/4 of 2010  10 % reduction.. However what if you get 20% if you should wait a week or so from another company.   

Lets face it at least we know now we do have to change the supplier end of the Electric for sure....10% more plus  at leat another $100.00 a month is just not worth it from PPL.
A young and a old family sure can do other things with $1200.00 a year.....

Offline Lifes2fun

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2009, 11:56:13 PM »
I have been following some of the costs comparison, and it looks as though Direct Energy can save me the most.
Even though the bill will still go up compared to what I am paying now, they look to be saving me anywhere from $30-70 compared to PPL and other companies.
THIS IS SPARTA!!

uncle buck

« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2009, 05:24:02 PM »
My daughter lives in Lehigh County...She got offers for only 10% savings from Diminion...Thats what they are offereing in the Harrisburg area too, So far looks like  Direct may be the best choice..However waiting for the price guide an d list of providers from  the Pa Public Utility Commission.   

uncle buck

« Reply #10 on: December 13, 2009, 10:25:41 PM »
Got the price list from the PUC.  Seems like electric bills will go up about 36 % more then they are now?  Wow business surely are going to pass this expense on to consumers too...
Anyway looks like so far there are only two  Direct Electric and Dominion.....for Allentown and Harrisburg area...Now there is a supplemental one...Looks like electricity made by wind mills but you have to pay for this one in additon to the others.. So you would have to take Direct Electric and also pay $5.00 to the windmill provider and buy the energy up front in block of 1000 KWH.  Me thinks this kicks in if you really burn som KWH over and above what has been set by PPL, Dominion, and Direct Electric.

Hope you all change your light bulbs in your houses to the new type...The energy saving type bulbs.  You all know that you spend 30 % of your electric on lighting in your home.  These new bulbs will cut you electric usage in this area in half... I changed everyone one of my lights out to the new bulbs...Wow did I save the bucks$$$$.  The bulbs are more $$$$$$investmet but do they save your energy $$$$$$for electric....
Buy thes bulbs in sleeves of 5 or 6 and you will also save money on the bulb cost too!!!!!

Offline Lifes2fun

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #11 on: December 13, 2009, 11:05:53 PM »
I have been switching to the 1/2 usage florescent bulbs for some time now.....a 75 watt bulb that only uses about 15 watts.....works for me.  ;D

THIS IS SPARTA!!

uncle buck

« Reply #12 on: December 13, 2009, 11:23:57 PM »
I have been switching to the 1/2 usage florescent bulbs for some time now.....a 75 watt bulb that only uses about 15 watts.....works for me.  ;D

Saving some big bucks too...Not just $5.00.  Maybe $30 to $40 dollars a month by changing all the bulbs out in the house...

every now and then I will get one that only last 1 year..They are suppose to last maybe 5 years or more... However you will have this...

uncle buck

« Reply #13 on: January 15, 2010, 12:08:11 AM »
I finally made the call and went with Direct Electric...They had the best deal.....Something you can buy blocks of electric Kilowatts from people that make their own electric with the wind mills.  Looks like you have to have two plans...One like Direct Electric and then when your kilowatts surpass the 1000 Kilowatts for the month you can draw energy down from the wind mill providers...See they won't let you use the cheaper electric first... Sounds like the larger blocks of kilowatts are for people with Electric heat that will use more then a households average which is 1000 kilowatts a month..

Offline Hern

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #14 on: January 16, 2010, 04:47:09 PM »
I don't know the options in your areas, but my advice is to swicth from PPL and don't get locked into committing for an extended period of time. Chose a provider that you can drop at any time or a minimum of a year, which will give you a choice when better rates from a new provider appears.

There will be other providers in the future. Hopefully a bit cheaper to add savings to us.