Author Topic: Foxpro Skyote mouth call w key chain closed reed call  (Read 5149 times)

uncle buck

Foxpro Skyote mouth call w key chain closed reed call
« on: May 09, 2009, 01:59:41 PM »
While in Cabelas yesterday they had the Foxpro Skyote with key chain call for $19.99.

Mainly I purchased it for the open reed call.  However I would like to add that WOW the key chain closed reed call is awesome......It is loud and has an outstanding rabbit in distress sound.

The Skyote sounded good too but I am going to have to practice with it a little to get it up to par where the Crit-R-Call open reed sing.   

However I am quite satisfied with both.   

Offline Buckwheat

• PPHA Forum GURU
    • http://EWCALLS.com
Re: Foxpro Skyote mouth call w key chain closed reed call
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2009, 08:51:13 PM »
UncleBuck
I used the skyote call last season a few times and had some pretty good luck. There store calls have a 10 mm reed in it. They were making there first call released cover as many sounds as possible and the 10 mm reed and it does that. Last fall and winter I was lucky and was allowed to test some of there calls with a 15 mm and a 7 MM reeds in them. Each one did a different job at making distress calling sounds.  I would like to see them offer calls with a 15 and the 7 mm reed. The 7 MM reed would get you closer to the Crit-R-Call. However each guy blows a call differently and likes a different sound that is why you and I have too many calls. LOL
For a brief moment I could hear nature through all the noise.

2008 PPHA State Predator Calling Champion
 Tri-X-Stand Rifle
Rests http://www.ewcalls.com/
Stand in the open, We will make you shine!

uncle buck

« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2009, 11:13:37 PM »
Buckwheat good info to know that it's not the same Crit-R-Call reed.  I could tell right away that it was different... I have been playing around with it since the last post....I do like how I can get it to sing by bitting down on the end of it and shaking it back and forth... It does give a nice high pitched sound doing that....The KIYI sounds good too.  Good sound for doing the female invitation and young coyote sound too... Howl's seem high pitched or that just could be me doing that?????????? 

I don't care much to use closed reed calls but that key ring one sure is nice and it can buck the wind for sure!!!!!!!
Who would think a small call like that could be loud if one desires it to be?  Of course it can make soft sounds too.

I do like the sky blue color of the Skyote call...This is unique too.

Offline Trophiesonly

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2009, 11:43:16 PM »
for 3 dollars more you can get the primos lil dog callls which sound far better.

foxpro is the true leader in sales in PA.

But if you averaged every hunting trip a foxpro is taking on,a 5 dollar distress call would produce as much fur.

It is a fad,and thats fact.
They are pretty but far from a fur killing machine.

Offline Buckwheat

• PPHA Forum GURU
    • http://EWCALLS.com
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2009, 09:31:44 AM »
TROPHIESONLY
 I can probably find a bunch of calls that sound as good and better then the primos lil dog to my ear!! And for less money too.

This discussion was not about FoxPro as a company, it was about there skyote call. And yea it probably is a fad of some sort. That is what runs the world. What type of fad would you like to see? As far as a killing machine, well it has called in plenty for a lot of folks already.

Like I said in my last post I own a bunch of calls and I will use the skyote, and with confidence. What more could I want? Well maybe a number 7 mm reed. LOL
Ernie
For a brief moment I could hear nature through all the noise.

2008 PPHA State Predator Calling Champion
 Tri-X-Stand Rifle
Rests http://www.ewcalls.com/
Stand in the open, We will make you shine!

Offline Duffman

• Senior Forum Member
    • DuffMan's Myspace
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2009, 09:10:38 PM »
foxpro is the true leader in sales in PA.

Lol, not sure how that obtained to the original post...

Anyway, I purchased the skyote at the Eastern Sportsman Show and was very satisfied with it. I haven't had the chance to use it but it sounds good to me. Like Uncle Buck stated, the keychain call has a narley sound.
:":"DuffMan":":

"Lead, follow, or get out of the way."-Thomas Paine

uncle buck

« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2009, 11:35:23 AM »
I have well over 100 mouth calls.  Sometimes you buy one and right away you say to yourself what a piece of ________. Heck when you eat, sleep and think predators hunting your going to have calls.

Lildogs.....great calls for beginners to use.  Very easy to do all the sounds on for sure....
However one can even take those piece of _______calls and call in every predator in Pa.

I was playing around with the Skyote yesterday.... I already got it were it's equal too the Crit-R-Call.   When I did my first post I only tried a few calls on the Skyote but things are already gettng better with the sound.. Will it call in more predators then the Lildogs?  Probably the same amount...However if your into predator calling and it's in your blood... One should try and learn how to use every call they can get their hands on.
Calling in predator ......the call is only the tip of the ice berg....There are so many other things that you have to do too...Setups, wind direction , time on stand,  markmanship,  confidence andn patience too.

Offline Duffman

• Senior Forum Member
    • DuffMan's Myspace
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2009, 05:59:12 PM »
Will it call in more predators then the Lildogs?  Probably the same amount...However if your into predator calling and it's in your blood... One should try and learn how to use every call they can get their hands on.
Calling in predator ......the call is only the tip of the ice berg....There are so many other things that you have to do too...Setups, wind direction , time on stand,  markmanship,  confidence andn patience too.

Wise words UB. ;)
:":"DuffMan":":

"Lead, follow, or get out of the way."-Thomas Paine

Offline Trophiesonly

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2009, 08:42:16 PM »

that my friend is truth and nothin but the truth.it need not be a foxpro,you said it all.[/color]

Offline bigben

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2009, 12:51:39 PM »
I would say any person that has called critters for a while agrees with that statement trophies but one thing I have found is alot of callers get hung up on one call.  practice with them and depending on what you like and can use the easiest is going to be your most popular call.  kinda like the critrcall standard is for me and the lil dog is for you.  I have a skyote and while I like the sound of it the toneboard is too small for me to use right by just picking up the call and blowing through it.  maybe I need to practice with it but the critrcall standard and the lil dog fits me better.  doesn't mean that the skyote is complete junk though.  different strokes for different folks. 
“If you want to know all about a man, go camping with him. Probably you think you know him already, but if you have never camped on the trail with him, you do not”. Eldred Nathaniel Woodcock. “Fifty Years a Hunter and Trapper.”

uncle buck

« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2009, 09:14:44 PM »
Sadly even before the cold weather set in...The key chain call started to freeze up on me.... Maybe when the temps at night time were 40 degrees.  Not a bad call but sure is not a cold weather calling call.... Good call thogh and I have called in fox with it in October already.....

Offline DAVID1

• Junior Forum Member
« Reply #11 on: December 14, 2009, 09:40:20 PM »
The reed on my keychain call fell right out. I never noticed till i went to blow in it hear at the house to annoy my old lady and I was like WTH happend?