Author Topic: Sheep & Coyote  (Read 2976 times)

Offline Hern

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
Sheep & Coyote
« on: September 29, 2010, 05:10:05 AM »
Talked with a property owner yesterday.
Last Wednesday she saw a Coyote near the barn.
Thursday morning she saw a Coyote near the Sheep.
Thurday evening she spotted the Coyote sleeping, curled up in the corner of the Sheep pen.
She couldn't believe it and got her husband. They spooked Coyote and it ran off.
Dang burn Coyote will hole up anywhere.

Offline swarter2

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
Re: Sheep & Coyote
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2010, 05:12:23 PM »
did it still have the napkin around its neck?
David P Swarter
286 Parkview Drive
Souderton, Pa 18964
Cell (215)285-1820
e-mail - swarter32@verizon.net
District 2
Bees Obrien Game Calls Field Staff

Offline Hern

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2010, 06:56:09 PM »
No.
Haven't bother the Sheep or other livestock to date.

Offline swarter2

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2010, 07:44:03 PM »
any of the yews ready to drop lambs or anything like that?
David P Swarter
286 Parkview Drive
Souderton, Pa 18964
Cell (215)285-1820
e-mail - swarter32@verizon.net
District 2
Bees Obrien Game Calls Field Staff

uncle buck

« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2010, 11:46:09 PM »
Many of the lambs are killed in May and June...Coyotes need protein for the pups and they start to kill then...However just like the video Howling Bucks...They also kill the fawn then for the pups protein...I just could not understand at the time? Coyotes would kill this women sheep every May and June. She would call.. However she would never make an effort to put the sheep in the barn at night.. Hence the coyotes would grab them right by the throat...IMO it has nothing to do when the lambs are born.. It when the coyote pups were born.. Also funny they would kill the adult sheep, the Yews to be specific. See sheep are not to smart..
Just a few weeks ago I got to talking to a women that worked for the local government.. She told me that when this women sheep was killed they were paying here for the loss..Maybe that's why she never really cared about the killings since she was being reimbursed for each sheep kill..
I tell you who gets hit in May and June... It's the farmers that are by major waterways..Figure coyotes with young need shelter, food, and water...Also they travel these waterways. I remember when Dave Dunbar put that NH study video on one of the hunting forums...The women doctor who did the study did say that the Coyote Core areas are always around water and swamps.

IMO...May and June is when the large sheep loses occur and it all because of the new pups needing protein...
« Last Edit: September 29, 2010, 11:50:17 PM by uncle buck »

Offline scott

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2010, 06:19:12 AM »
A sheep farmer told me that the coyotes would take a sheep once in a while throught the year to eat, but when the pups were 4 or 5 months old, momma would teach them how to kill, he would go down in the morning and there would be 7 to 8 sheep dead and very little eaten.   he said the coyotes would herd the sheep into a corner where they would then kill them.  said he never minded if they took a sheep here and there to eat but he couldn't stand when they would waste them. 

Offline stickbow

• Junior Forum Member
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2010, 09:51:18 PM »
A sheep farmer told me that the coyotes would take a sheep once in a while throught the year to eat, but when the pups were 4 or 5 months old, momma would teach them how to kill, he would go down in the morning and there would be 7 to 8 sheep dead and very little eaten.   he said the coyotes would herd the sheep into a corner where they would then kill them.  said he never minded if they took a sheep here and there to eat but he couldn't stand when they would waste them. 

Correct I've seen them kill 4 one after the other, i was glassing a far hill and seen it go down.