Author Topic: Kill Light XLR 250-any reports out there?  (Read 11260 times)

Offline foxpro51

• PPHA Forum GURU
Kill Light XLR 250-any reports out there?
« on: October 12, 2010, 04:42:11 PM »
WE just ordered three of them. Wondering how the field reports are? I hear there great and allmost as good as the big lightforce light.

Offline stickbow

• Junior Forum Member
Re: Kill Light XLR 250-any reports out there?
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2010, 05:56:42 PM »
If you like to scan alot you will still need your lightforce. The battery life will be short on these in the winter im certain. It's nice not having any wires to fool with. I will stick with the shotgun for night hunting. Far less hassle, and very productive. To much noise with lights, chairs, shooting sticks, electronic caller etc. And luggin all that stuff to where the fur is isnt very easy. Grab my shotgun, headlamp, a couple hand calls, and i'm hunting.

Offline bootmud

• Seasoned Forum Member
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2010, 07:13:24 PM »
I really like the XLR 250! 

....And for a scanning light, I now use this.... 

All right, after using this light for a couple of times now, this is what I'm using for a scanning light.  This is a fairly new light for me so please know this "review" is based on my experience up to now.

Originally I didn't know that WhiteKnuckle sold these so I bought this one from Elusive Wildlife Tech. Sorry Jeremiah... :crazy:

Anyhow here is the light.

http://www.elusivewildlife.com/products.htm?section=22&p=productMore&iProduct=165

Here's why I chose this light.  You'll notice that this one is a white light and that is exactly what I wanted.  I always like to have a white light with me for tracking, or whatever.  I figured I could make a red lens cover that I could easyily remove and that's just what I did.

Another huge benefit of this light as opposed to the XLR250 is that this light has a 4 HOUR burn time as opposed to a 1.5 hour burn time.  Also, when I purchased this light I got the charger and two more batteries so I now have two chargers and 6 batteries.  Unless the cold absolutely kills these batteries I will have PLENTY of battery life to easyily last me thru a nights hunt.

Ok, what I did was cut the bottom our of a small Advil bottle and it fit perfect on the end of the light, a nice snug fit that can be installed and removed without any problem.  I let the light shine out of the top of the bottle... or where the cap goes on.  This cuts down on the overflow light and really directs the light forward and eliminates light spilling onto the gun, etc...    I then wrapped in black elec. tape just to keep it black.

I then took one of the red lenses from my Wizard Nite Light and traced around the cap with a marker.  I cut the lens in a "mostly round" circle and finished up on the belt sander to have a nice round lens that fit right inside the bottle.  Simply slide cap on the light and I have a 4 hour scanning light per battery that is light weight (less than 6 inches in length), wireless and easy to use.

Compared to a Nite Lite this light is probably 3 times brighter with the red lens, if anything it is to bright BUT so far it hasn't seemed to bother foxes, a bobcat, and a few coons.  Because the white light is very bright it appears to be pink and not red.  I could easyily make it a bit darker (more red) but I'm just gonna let it alone for now and see if it causes any problems. 

(Contact me for LightForce 140 For Sale - Purchased last year)

Offline foxpro51

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2010, 07:37:05 PM »
Good review boot mud. Thanks

uncle buck

« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2010, 07:39:45 PM »
Thank you for posting the pill bottle attachment.  I just purchased at Dunhams a tactical shooting light with white lens...I am having a bit of a hard time find a pop red lens cover for it...Also I don't want to dykem it up and make it permanent... The pill bottle slip on with other red lens I have around here will work fine.. The beam is about the size of the smallest part of the pill bottle...I just received a mount from Weaver that you can attach any of these police light to the front of your sling swivel stud..That thing cost about $8.00 but it does allow you to put police lights on any hunting rifle....

While at the Expo I saw your hand held light on John51 table... I asked him what that was?..He said "it was yours and he fixed (electrical) it for you...One of the most unusual hand held lights...Looked more like a periscope.  I'm just one of those people that kind of notices everything..

Offline bootmud

• Seasoned Forum Member
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2010, 10:35:54 PM »
Thanks foxpro51.

UB,  Yes, that light John repaired for me really is kind of odd.  It's definatley not my go to light but it is a good back up.  I like the longer post so I can hold the light with my left hand and rest it on my shooting sticks (at the top).  The light requires viturally no movement to scan with as you can just twist it or rotate it in your hand to scan side to side.

Offline muttbuster

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2010, 10:54:08 PM »
Great write up and fabrication job Bootmud. Have you been out hunting lately? Will you be participating in some of the PPHA sponsored hunts this year?
« Last Edit: October 12, 2010, 10:55:40 PM by muttbuster »
President PPHA

Offline bootmud

• Seasoned Forum Member
« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2010, 01:41:28 PM »
Hey Mutt,

Yea, been out the last two Sat. nights coyote hunting.  Did hear some but can't put a coyote in front of us up to this point.  I just posted some new video footage in the Pred. Hunting Thread. 

You can bet that I'll be participating in some of the PPHA hunts this year.  I always seem to make at least a few of them.  I hope we get to have another run in sometime soon! :)

botomud

Offline foxpro51

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2010, 05:12:04 PM »
Bootmud are you just using the light for scanning with your hand or are you also using the light on the rifle to shoot ? Looks like the xlr250 is a 100 yard light to see the body of a fox. What do you think?
« Last Edit: October 15, 2010, 05:14:08 PM by foxpro51 »

Offline bootmud

• Seasoned Forum Member
« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2010, 03:14:56 PM »
foxpro51,

I'm using the light pictured above (previouse post) as a scanning light with my hand and the XLR 250 mounted to my gun for a shooting light.  I would agree the XLR 250 is a 100 yd. light for positive ID's.

bootmud