Author Topic: Remote or Manual Electronic Callers  (Read 2072 times)

uncle buck

Remote or Manual Electronic Callers
« on: September 01, 2010, 03:04:34 PM »
There are times you need a remote and then there are times when you can just use a non-remote caller. Based on stands.
If your hunting YOURSELF....And hunting red fox,  coyotes, and or bobcat the remote caller is a plus...Also a shotgunner would benefit more then a rifleperson when using a remote. Since you can set up and ambush a predator easier.
However if your hunting with a partner and your doing the calling and he or she is doing the shooting..You don't need a remote caller..
In other words the person can work the non-remote caller manually while the shooter is far away from the caller.
If your hunting crows,  gray fox, and coon you don't need a remote caller since most times the vermin or critters come to the speaker.
A remote caller will benefit you if you get busted by a red fox...I have used the remote to play with the red fox brain to make him have other thoughts.  You hit them with all kinds of red fox sounds and they will sometimes come back for a look see again....

Coyotes...you also need to play with their brain so a remote caller will benefit your calling.. However the person working the caller can do this with a manual caller if their is another shooter set up for the shot..
Rifleperson at nighttime can use non-remote callers. Since you just want to call the predator into range and shoot them with the well placed shot. The cheaper JS Preymaster that are the non-remote type are excellent rifleperson wildlife callers... Just bring them into about 100 yards and take the shot..

Offline muttbuster

• PPHA Forum GURU
Re: Remote or Manual Electronic Callers
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2010, 04:54:38 PM »
UB,l just wht do you mean "play with a coyotes brain". Do you mix up different coyote vocalizations? Two years ago about three days after the close pr fox season, I stopped ao a rural road just to see what was there. I had my stream light ultra stinger with a red lense with et and a knight and hale bulb squeaker. I bean to squeeze the squeaker and in a few minutes I saw eyes on a hill in the woods. I kept squeaking and he kept coming in for a look. He was thirty yards away and he must have realized something was fishy so he ran back into the woods. I waited a few minutes and began to squeak again. Same fox, same squeaks, and he came within thirty yards again. He then ran back up the hill and stopped about 150 yards away and just looked at me.I waited a couple minutes and started my squeak sequence again and guess what? Third times the charm. He came back down thew hill again to within thirty yards. At that point I laughed and told the fox "Mr.fox dude, you're busted". That was the last time I saw him.

Was trapping creek chubs yesterday to go cat fishing last night. I pulled in my first minnow trap and I had three 2 to 3 feet long water snakes in my trap with two large dead chubs. The snakes were dead because they could not come up for air. I went to my other trap and I had a couple dozen 3 to 4 inch chubs. I went to my fishing spot and about after an hour or so all I had hitting my chubs were turtles. It was about midnight. All of a sudden I heard a pack of coyotes over my left shoulder somewhere around 150 t0 200 yards. I had my ultra stinger with a red lenze, my bulb squeaker, and a couple of night and hale mouth calls. Another guy there had a 22 mag rifle so I tried to bring one in. No luck. They stayed back in the woods. I  Called soft and easy for about one minute and waited. Nothing. Then I went to my bulb squeaker and made it sound like a whimpering rodent. Again nothing. My last effort was a wounded coyote pup I made with my mouth call. Still nothing. I thought I threw some pretty good calls at them so I don't know why they didn't come in. That area gets alot of people traffic and I'm sure that anyone that gets a new call goes there to try it out. I think that is why they held up back in the woods. What do you think?
President PPHA

Offline muttbuster

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2010, 06:44:54 PM »
Sorry about the spelling in the above post. I had a really bad headache so I took a couple of happy pills. I thought I proof read it but I must have forgot. :P
President PPHA

uncle buck

« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2010, 11:12:20 AM »
Muttbuster......Since coyotes and human are mammals...I use that strategy when I hunt coyotes...You know how even on here people try to yank your chain to lower your guard to get you upset...That's how I hunt coyotes...I get them so upset that they come in for a look see....
Coyote the mammal is territorial...If another not in their pack sets a PAW in their area..They get upset and will try to drive them out of the area....
Coyote vocalization...howling 2 howls only and KIYI or Puppy Whines done for one minute..Rabbit distress done for one minute but in between all of the two howls or the one minute of calling....I remain silent for up to 8 minutes..This is what I do to yank their chain.  Seems to work for me..
So far I have called in 43 Eastern Coyotes.....
By the way I only do the coyote challenge at about the 35 minute mark... That is the only coyote vocalization that I use with barks... I never bark any other time.. If they start howling at me from a far...It's the coyote pup and or the KIYI that I use.  I don't try to mimic the coyotes.
All other predators... I just let my sounds RIP...Electronic or mouth calling for a full 30 minutes....Why this is also kind of like playing with their brain...It's not like your trying to get them so PO that they lower their guard and come in for a look see....

Why didn't the coyotes come into your puppy whines..They probably knew that man was there even before you started calling..
« Last Edit: September 02, 2010, 11:13:32 AM by uncle buck »