Author Topic: Western Rivers Pursuit  (Read 5796 times)

Offline WoodsGhost

Western Rivers Pursuit
« on: February 15, 2014, 10:19:32 AM »
Anyone have one of these or know how they hold up. Looking to purchase one SOON...

Offline Hern

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
Re: Western Rivers Pursuit
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2014, 12:41:46 PM »
My ole Johnny Stewart call crapped out on me mid-season.
A friend lent me one of his calls, a Western Rivers 'NAVAJO'.
He told me to keep it until season end.

I used it many times the past 2 months.
-Most sounds were fine clear, a few sounds were rough and grainy.
-Remote controlled, with decoy (first time I used a remote and loved it)
-very light weight
-easy to use
-all in all, I liked the unit

I relied on my ole JS e-caller and killed a ton of fur with it, but thesehere new callers with remote and light weight are the cats meow.
WoodsGhost, I don't think you will go wrong with your purchase.
I hunted with a friend that owns a FoxPro. The sound seem better to me. Size and weight were the same. Plus, FoxPro is made in Lewistown, Pa.

I am purchasing a FoxPro this spring/summer. I talked with Mike Dillion (FoxPro) as we discussed the unit that fit my needs and the sounds I wanted. He invited me to FoxPro when I was ready to purchase.

Offline WoodsGhost

« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2014, 05:52:39 PM »
Thanks Hern, I bought it and I cant wait to try it out. Maybe the reviewer had bad batteries as they mostly had problems with the range and power. I just retired my WR Predation and wished I didn't, I had prey birds attacking it and Coyotes tripping over themselves coming in to it( ok, one). I only hope to get the same results with the Pursuit and I couldn't find a package of this price with 200 calls and a range of 250 yards maybe I'll find out why!!! The home made call I have SUCKS and won't call in Curious George...LOL

Offline Hern

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2014, 07:07:12 PM »
One thing I found out about the using a remote...
If call is elevated, remote will have more range.
By that, if I was sitting with call in a depression or such, remote had little range. I think that would be the case with any name brand caller with remote. So I learn pretty quick to elevated the unit in certain terrain.

Offline Papa1

• Junior Forum Member
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2014, 08:04:28 PM »
Hey Guys,  I just called Western Rivers on their 24/7 # and got a recording that they were not available.  All I wanted to ask is-Where are your calls made?  Maybe one of you can tell me.  Dick
NRA Life-Benefactor   USP Member  SASS Life member  Mosquito Creek Life Member

Offline coon hunter

« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2014, 02:17:03 PM »
Can you let us know how the caller works, thanks.

Offline WoodsGhost

« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2014, 02:01:19 PM »
So far so good, the second set I made with the call I had a Huge Bobcat come screaming in within 5 minutes. I couldn't get over how loud it is I've been using it on about half to quarter volume and that is plenty loud. Started out using DG alkaline batteries and it has lasted over a week on and off use. It automatically repeats the sound until you pause it or change to another call. the multi function remote has a full back light which makes it really nice to read day or night. I hunt in a pop up blind so don't use it in direct sunlight much. I have tested it out to about 250 yards and it responds like it was in my pocket. If I didn't have my WR Predation pointing at me at that distance I couldn't hear it, not this you have to still turn it down. Putting new calls on it is a synch, plug it into your computer and move the calls over, I stored there included sound and put my own mp3s calls on it. It came with 200 and when I changed the call I noticed the memory was only a quarter full I don't know why you couldn't hold more but I rarely use more than 2-5 calls at all on my hunts. Yesterday I called in a crow, three snowmobiles and a gray fox or small coyote, only seen movement and the tracks weren't that big. Been using mostly the rodent in distress and Rabbit calls. I'm really happy so far and never had the privilege of using an 800 dollar one but I honestly don't see what more you need. I purchased this for 137.00 on E-bay. The only thing that worries me is the exposed connection ports, if you have nowhere to hang the caller snow will get in them and I see a lot of the brands are made that way. I'm going to find a protective soft case to put the caller in, which they recommend in the instructions. I'd give this 5 stars so far!!! My next purchase is going to be a decoy and am considering the (Western Rivers Deceptor Rabbit Electronic Predator Decoy) anyone have reviews on this and is it remotely operated?
« Last Edit: March 01, 2014, 02:07:11 PM by WoodsGhost »

Offline Papa1

• Junior Forum Member
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2014, 09:31:33 PM »
Hey Woodsghost.  Look @ the label on the new caller and tell us where it was made, please.  Dick
NRA Life-Benefactor   USP Member  SASS Life member  Mosquito Creek Life Member

Offline coon hunter

« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2014, 06:16:11 PM »
Probably China, most electronics we buy today are made their or some of their parts. I have 4 ecallers and the 1 that works the best and has the best sounds cost me less than $150. The remote always works at long ranges and little movement to make it work. And the 100 sounds are the most real sounding I have heard on a ecaller. It is going in its 4th season.  Thanks for the update.