Author Topic: handguns  (Read 2191 times)

Offline yotekid

handguns
« on: October 14, 2011, 12:20:04 AM »
Is it legal to carry a handgun in PA as well as a rifle? I mean like a .22 to finish off a coyote.....
Can you only do this with a handgun permit? Not at all?
Coyote is always out there waiting, and Coyote is always hungry. ~Navajo

Offline bdawg

• PPHA Members
  • Junior Forum Member
Re: handguns
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2011, 06:25:15 AM »
you need either a sportsmans carry permit or normal license to carry firearms, sportsmans permit only lets you carry for hunting, lctf lets you carry anytime
district #1

uncle buck

« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2011, 11:38:50 AM »
I just recently got my LCFA.  I use to just get the permit against my hunting and fishing license.. I do think that the LCFA is better because you can carry it no matter what your hunting... The permit to carry on a hunting license is limited depending on what your hunting.. Not sure but I don't think you can carry a hand gun with the license permit if your bow hunting????Maybe someone can confirm this..

I do know in addition to hand guns.. You also need to have the permit if your shotgun barrels is real short too.. Hunters that use the real short barreled self defense type or 20 inch Deerslayer barrels could get fined if they don't have a permit..

Also nice to have a hand gun if your using a shotgun.. I don't like to shoot coon with a shotgun.  So many have lived because I didn't have my Ruger Single Six with me while totting the shotgun.     

Offline Leglifter

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2011, 01:10:39 PM »
This "LCFA", are you refering to the conceal and carry permit?
I believe Rendell had it passed that you can carry a concealed weapon while bow hunting after that bow hunter was murdered in his tree stand

Offline bigben

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2011, 01:33:32 PM »
there are no Concealed carry permits issued in the state of pa.  only LTCF permits.  It allows to you to carry a hadgun concealed in most places.  There are a few places such as courthouses and schools that you are not allowed to carry no matter what.  It is legal to carry a semi auto with you while hunting anything.  but you are carrying it for self defense purpose only.  if you plan on using a handgun to finish an animal off only hunting handguns are allowed.  revolvers single shots ect.  anything but a semi auto. 

also you are allowed to hunt with any shotgun longer then 18" I believe without a permit.  anything shorter is illeagal to own or hunt with unless you have a special permit and even then I do not believe that you can have them.
“If you want to know all about a man, go camping with him. Probably you think you know him already, but if you have never camped on the trail with him, you do not”. Eldred Nathaniel Woodcock. “Fifty Years a Hunter and Trapper.”

Offline Leglifter

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2011, 05:37:35 PM »
I guess mine does say LCFA. reason- self defense. I stand corrected

Offline bigben

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2011, 10:31:56 PM »
also a LTCF does not mean that you have to carry concealed.  They urge you too but it is not a requirement. 
“If you want to know all about a man, go camping with him. Probably you think you know him already, but if you have never camped on the trail with him, you do not”. Eldred Nathaniel Woodcock. “Fifty Years a Hunter and Trapper.”

Offline Whitefeather

• Junior Forum Member
  • I am NOT the Whitefeather on HuntingPA.com!!
« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2011, 09:43:53 AM »
In the state of Pa anyone who is not disqualified by the conditions set forth in the law, ie convicted felon, etc. may carry a firearm openly. You cannot enter a motor vehicle or any federal building including schools and post offices or anywhere else it is posted.

With a LTCF (license to carry firearm) you are than allowed to carry in your motor vehicle and it may be concealed or open carry.  You are also required to have a LCTF to carry ANY firearm in a city of the first class.  Philadelphia and Pittsburg are the only ones in the state of Pa.  To hunt in Pa with a sidearm it needs to be the correct caliber and season for which you are hunting following the guidelines in the Pa hunting manual.  You may not hunt with a semi-auto pistol.  To carry a sidearm that is not for hunting, when hunting you need a LCTF or a Sportsman permit.  However that does not mean you can kill an animal with it.  You are only allowed to kill an animal with a handgun while hunting if it falls into the criteria listed in the Pa hunting manual.

My suggestion to anyone who asks these questions, is to research it to the hilt and do not rely on the responses on a forum.  Police can and will harass individuals who open carry a handgun.  #1 many police officers are ignorant to their own rules which thay are requied to learn each year when they take class.  Also, many like to just bust balls.  Be smart, and educate yourself about the law and save yourself some grief.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2011, 09:47:27 AM by Whitefeather »
Chris Deckard  District 2

Offline bigben

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2011, 11:27:12 AM »
+100

uncle buck

« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2011, 01:11:50 AM »
Recently I purchased a hand gun... I purchased some 45 LC ammo too... The person working the register asked me if I had a LTCF.. See if I did then it was OK to put the ammo in the same bag with the gun.. However if I didn't have a LTCF they would have had to bag the ammo in one bag and the firearm in the other..Truly I am glad that I finally got the LTCF instead of the permit that allows you to just carry a firearm while hunting and fishing..

This year I am going to carry this particular firearm with me (Bond 45LC/410 derringer) on all my predator hunts... Skunk, Possum and Weasel that use to come to my mouth calling use to live to see another day.. I just didn't want to shoot them with a 17 Fireball bullet or a 12 gauge shotgun shell..

Just remember as a side note:  if you call a possum, skunk, or weasel in with electronics you can't shoot it.  However possums do quite a bit damage to small game.. So I'm going to carry a few fine shot 410 shells and dispatch them...
« Last Edit: October 21, 2011, 01:13:34 AM by uncle buck »

Claybird

« Reply #10 on: October 22, 2011, 10:07:14 PM »
if you need them dead carry a real shotgunn if you need to kill peopl carry a real pistol.  derengers are for poker players.