Author Topic: they keep disappearing  (Read 2117 times)

Offline yote204

they keep disappearing
« on: September 16, 2010, 10:12:14 AM »
alright first of all we went to 2 spots this night, at the first spot it was almost like a repeat of our first night there, in the middle of our calling there were a set of eyes about 150 yards in the middle of the feild, they were sitting still and were dim,, then after a little bit they dissapeared, the after that i did a couple of howls and one answered inside the woods with a long series  of barks not really howls,,, what does this mean?, and after that we went to our next spott where we know there are alot of yotes, i did several lonesome howls and turned o a seradade on my electric caller, we didnt hear any answeres, so we waited a little bit and i turned on the pup distress on my electric call, and waited while, then turned on fawn distress and then i shine my gun light and seen a set of coyote eyes so i flipped off my safe pulled my scope up and it was gone that fast, just dissapeared , i dont get it, there for like a second and its gone, i just can figure it out

Offline Whitefeather

• Junior Forum Member
  • I am NOT the Whitefeather on HuntingPA.com!!
Re: they keep disappearing
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2010, 11:15:49 AM »
Keep your gun light (red lens) on all the time. I would probably stick to ditress call only this time of year too.
Chris Deckard  District 2

Offline bigben

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2010, 11:16:19 AM »
if there was a bunch of short choppy barks I would bet that they nailed ya coming in.  

as far as seeing them and then gone depending on how bright your light is will make a big difference.  if ya got a bright light and shine right in their eyes from dark it is gonna spook em quick.  and I can bet they prob seen your barrel moving around out in front of the light if have it mounted on top your scope.  

my take on it is this.  I would cut down on the howling.  if you do howl once is sufficent.  these critters are not deaf and can hear it the first time you howl.  they will most likely be interested.  the more times you howl on a stand the more you open yourself up to being nailed by a coyote.  now I assume that you have a partner.  if you do I would suggest that one of you be the light man and the other be the gun man.  imo it makes it easier for the gun man to move into position if the light man keeps the coyote in the light halo.  it is very hard to do on your own.  anything that is out front the light will be seen and the more moving you do the less time ya got on a coyote that has been around a while.  switch up the duties so each guy gets gun time.

stick to using more distress sounds but dont blow them constantly if I would have seen eyes I would have used a coaxer sound such as a lip squeek or a squeeker to get them to come closer.  they could have been a deer or some other non target.  

hope ya get em.
“If you want to know all about a man, go camping with him. Probably you think you know him already, but if you have never camped on the trail with him, you do not”. Eldred Nathaniel Woodcock. “Fifty Years a Hunter and Trapper.”

Offline stickbow

• Junior Forum Member
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2010, 02:47:15 PM »
You must have a good spot. Leave the electronic call at home. You want to kill coyotes right? Electronic calls educate more coyotes than they bring in. If you were hunting the western states the electronic call would be a handy tool. A howl could mean anything at this stage of the season, there are many pups out there. I use John Stewart mouth calls exclusively, I have killed 4 since July all with a shotgun.

uncle buck

« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2010, 04:56:09 PM »
In most cases you need to have two lights...The shooting light is activated when your going to shoot the predator.. You need a red lens light on a broom handle or on your head and it should be lit at all times...The red lens in front of you on your head or on a handle is your shield....

Offline yote204

« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2010, 06:29:53 PM »
thanks guys,, i have a headlamp with a red lens on them,, and ya we have alot of spots where we no there is some yotes, but we just can seem to seal the deal, somthing always gos wrong

Offline scott

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2010, 08:06:44 PM »
thanks guys,, i have a headlamp with a red lens on them,, and ya we have alot of spots where we no there is some yotes, but we just can seem to seal the deal, somthing always gos wrong

that statement right there is coyote hunting and why most of us do it. 

Offline stickbow

• Junior Forum Member
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2010, 10:13:10 PM »
Ever overcall a turkey? Sounds as if you are doing the same with these coyotes. I use one green buckmasters headlamp. I had less luck with red. I use a shotgun, i need no light under the gun. To much light will turn a coyote as fast as your scent, maybe faster. How many coyotes do you see crossing the road with your headlights? You had a coyote in your brite light, you seen the outcome. I do not care what color ,coyotes see light easy. Call'em close and kill'em.

uncle buck

« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2010, 10:21:02 PM »
To get these coyotes in Pa at this point in time you have to become a Eastern Coyote and think like they do...