Author Topic: question for the seasoned coyoyte hunters  (Read 4498 times)

Offline Leglifter

• PPHA Forum GURU
Re: question for the seasoned coyoyte hunters
« Reply #15 on: February 25, 2009, 09:56:26 PM »
Its rare here Earl,
I may have seen 8 or 10, driving prime country here, in 10 or 12 years

Offline foxpro51

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #16 on: February 25, 2009, 09:57:16 PM »
These Pennsylvania coyotes are starting to piss me off. Im going after that group behind my house.

Offline foxpro51

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #17 on: February 25, 2009, 09:59:28 PM »
I have never seen one yet in the Pa woods or crossing the road. I called in my first Pa. coyote this year and missed the darn thing.

Offline Leglifter

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #18 on: February 25, 2009, 10:01:11 PM »
You always miss your first

Offline corey26

« Reply #19 on: March 04, 2009, 08:06:45 PM »
I would say that is something to build on as a successful first hunt. 4 guys is alot for coyote hunting
though. To much scent and bodies/movement to try to hide from them. Try hunting them in pairs
instead. Keep at it, that's the best way to learn!
Proud member of the PPHA

Offline wiseguy

« Reply #20 on: March 05, 2009, 01:19:28 AM »
We are headed back out in 3 weeks.  I am looking forward to it.

Offline swarter2

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #21 on: March 05, 2009, 10:46:31 AM »
Follow link you'll see how my first coyote hunt went.

http://ppha.us/smf/index.php?topic=1787.0
David P Swarter
286 Parkview Drive
Souderton, Pa 18964
Cell (215)285-1820
e-mail - swarter32@verizon.net
District 2
Bees Obrien Game Calls Field Staff

uncle buck

« Reply #22 on: March 16, 2009, 11:36:06 PM »
Trophys is correct.....to many hunters...... at most two and those two best know what each is doing or let see????????it over!!

What happened was the 2nd , 3rd , 4th or maybe the 1st hunter did something wrong... Thats all it takes one little thing and it's over...

It's like how an unranked football team beats a top ranked team....Everyone on the team has to do everything perfect.

So as soon you start taking each additonal person the odds are in the coyotes favor....

There are so many things you have to consider....Terrain, wind direction,  sound selection,  approach,  people personalities......
You have to start thinking like an athlete...You just can't get 4 people who are new to calling to have a perfect game.....

If your going to use a mouth call...One person doing the calling is up wind 100 yards of the shooter. The shooter is 100 yards down wind but set up 30 yards cross wind of the caller.. The coyotes will come into the wind... they will get in direct  line with  the caller. Hopefully they will not smell him until after he has passed the shooter position.  When th coyote comes into the call they come into the wind and pass the shooter. That is when the shot is made... I have called in many coyotes for people. Sometimes I only hear the shot but never see the coyote coming in.   The shooter see that....Many times they miss them... Sometimes they just look at the them with their mouth open, Sometimes they do not listen to me and they move and would have had a shot, Sometime the coyote bust them.

Now hunting alone you need to use a good electronic caller with a remote and post where the shooter would be to activate the caller 100 yards up wind of your position..

I consider myself as a fox hunter...24 years now..   It has only been in the last 3 years that I have finally started to break some of the codes on how to get shots at coyotes here in Pa.  IT did not happen when I hunted with groups of hunters.......

« Last Edit: March 16, 2009, 11:37:38 PM by uncle buck »

Offline wiseguy

« Reply #23 on: March 17, 2009, 03:00:00 PM »
Thank you all for the information.  We will be heading up to Sullivan County again this weekend.  This time there will only be two of us.  Uncle Buck, we will take the suggestion of the 100 yard split. 

I do agree with having too many hunters.  I am quite confident that the yotes that came in to us saw the hunter in the middle of the group.  The reason I say that is the yotes were still slightly above me and to my left about 40 yards.  They were in the process of coming around into the wind.  I was sitting down in a pile of brush, teh hunter in the middle was standing beside a tree in plain view.  (lesson learned)

I will post early next week and let everyone know how it went.

Thanks again.

Offline Leglifter

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #24 on: March 17, 2009, 04:39:43 PM »
Good luck!!