Author Topic: question for the seasoned coyoyte hunters  (Read 4499 times)

Offline wiseguy

question for the seasoned coyoyte hunters
« on: February 24, 2009, 04:07:39 PM »
4 of us went hunting this past weekend.  It was all of our first times coyote hunting.  2 of the guys had shot one during other seasons, but this was our first strictly coyote hunt.  We had several sets with nothing seen.  On our third set we were able to call a a pair in to about 50 yards.  ALthough we never saw them, I heard them after they busted us, and we saw their tracks as we were leaving.  The pair walked on our tracks for a good 15 yards.  We also spotted a third set of tracks within 100 yards of where we were spread.

My question is, should I consider this a successful hunt to build on?  We were able to get animals within shooting distance, even though we were not able to shoot them.  I am pretty close to being hooked on predator hunting.

Offline muttbuster

• PPHA Forum GURU
Re: question for the seasoned coyoyte hunters
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2009, 04:29:15 PM »
I would say your off to a good start. Watch the wind, they will smell you a long way off. You might try splitting up and posting a guy a little down wind from you. Just don't shoot each other. I wouldn't hunt the same dogs for at least a month. Try another spot. Good luck!
President PPHA

Offline Leglifter

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2009, 04:58:45 PM »
Did you hunt during the day or at night?
At least you had action, and you know where to find them.
I'd say it was a very good start

Offline wiseguy

« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2009, 07:05:23 AM »
We were hunting during the day, that particular set was around 1:30 or so.  We were hunting on the mountain above Hillsgrove.  We are going back in a few weeks to try a few spots where we saw plenty of sign last year, but we did not hunt this trip.  Should be fun.

Offline Leglifter

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2009, 07:38:12 AM »
If you have enough guys,
try to post them where they can see every possible approach.
Down wind
Upwind
Pine forest edge
any natural travelway.
If the coyotes came at 50yds and you couldn't see them,
I'm guessing you had laurel on the mountain
Maybe have a guy in a tree stand

Offline wiseguy

« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2009, 10:05:30 AM »
If the coyotes came at 50yds and you couldn't see them,
I'm guessing you had laurel on the mountain
Maybe have a guy in a tree stand

Yes, this was the case.  They were on the far side of a laurel thicket.  A someone in a stand would have been able to pick them up, I think.

It definately was fun, and we plan to go back in about 5 weeks.  I am not sure if we will hunt this hollow or not, there are definately some other area up there I would like to try.

Offline Leglifter

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2009, 10:24:41 AM »
Good luck and keep us posted

Offline Trophiesonly

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2009, 06:31:49 PM »
Too many hunters and toooo much scent.Go yourself,set up on a revene.Or a right of way.In the daytime i use a 223 im good for 250 yards max,i set my call between where i think the yote is coming from.Way less sent to get busted,and a varmint rifle will reach out enough to be up wind 80 yards and if the yote comes downwind 100 you have a 180 yard shot.I kill more that way,but im up in a crosswind also.At night with 4 guys,you dont have much a choice.3 is the most i hunt with but we post sometimes 300 yards apart,and hunt open fields that are hollows.One guy at the mouth,2 splitting both ridge tops.The Call down at the mouth of the hollow,calling upwind into the hollow.These setups work well with 3 to 4 hunters.Take 2 vehicles,park 1 on top,1 at the bottom.No uphill walking,so you dont waste alot of time and tire yourself.And walking downhill creates less sweat.Less stench,on the next setup.Try 2,or even hunt yourself some,and turn the call down,and sit back.Coyotes need water,they can go without some food,but water is there anti-freeze.Creek revenes,near crop farms are good,set up high and watch the narrow funnel areas of the revenes.
Got one this morning,shot from one hill across the other.Took about a hour and 10 minutes to come in.I give them this long on nice mornings,as they have heard it all and it takes them sometimes that long.Morning hunts i hunt 1 spot,and thats it.But i try to do it right.

BP

« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2009, 08:10:56 PM »
Trophies,  When he said seasoned, he didn't mean old.  Go back under your rock old timer.

Offline foxtrot

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2009, 08:55:44 PM »
Trophiesonly,Great information,I agree they seem to hang close to a water source this time of year not sure if for anti freeze or for convience for themselves and their young when there born.I'm pretty sure there den sites are established by now.Hunting alone is also a great idea not that I don't enjoy a companion it's just that the more people you have the bigger the scent fan.If the nose doesn't find you the eyes will.Very challenging but very fun.

Offline foxpro51

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2009, 09:00:49 PM »
I heard a whole pack the other night after using a horn to call the. I have never seen one or heard of one taken in my are yet. GHOST DOGS

Offline Leglifter

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2009, 09:11:27 PM »
Earl,
we'll come down next season and change that

Offline foxpro51

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #12 on: February 25, 2009, 09:36:39 PM »
There easy for me to call out west but here there a problem. Called in 30 in Wyoming and 1 here. Figure that? Perhaps i am calling more for fox here than coyotes. That is probably what the difference is.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2009, 09:38:30 PM by foxpro51 »

Offline Leglifter

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #13 on: February 25, 2009, 09:50:07 PM »
Western and easern coyote are two totally different subspecies.
Less competition here between coyotes
Bigger home ranges here
Less population here
Constantly changing wind direction here
Different terrain here(coyotes could be over the hill behind you and the wind would still swirl your scent to them)
More calling pressure here.
More posted property here( more places for them to be)
A few western hunters of fame tried to disolve the elusive PA coyote theories and went home with their hats in their hands

Offline foxpro51

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #14 on: February 25, 2009, 09:54:03 PM »
Leglifter, Its not unusual for me to drive through my Wyoming hunting areas and see 5 to 10 coyotes crossing the road in the mornings and evenings. I have never seen it here YET.