Author Topic: Best Fox/Bobcat Caliber?  (Read 7918 times)

Offline scott

• PPHA Forum GURU
Re: Best Fox/Bobcat Caliber?
« Reply #15 on: February 23, 2016, 05:34:46 PM »
John.  Nice cat.  I wish we took u up on hunting out there years ago.  Looks Awesome.

Offline coyotejohn

• PPHA Members
  • Senior Forum Member
« Reply #16 on: February 23, 2016, 05:44:42 PM »
The offer is still out there Scott, that is unless you're the one that deleted my posts ;) 
“Fate whispers to the warrior, ‘You cannot withstand the storm.’ And the warrior whispers back, ‘I am the storm’.’”

Offline scott

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #17 on: February 23, 2016, 05:48:52 PM »
Lol.  Wasn't me.  What time of year would be good?

Offline wfo204

• PPHA Members
  • Junior Forum Member
« Reply #18 on: February 23, 2016, 05:55:24 PM »
Coyote John that is a beautiful cat and what looks like an awsome hunting area. Where are you from?

Offline coyotejohn

• PPHA Members
  • Senior Forum Member
« Reply #19 on: February 23, 2016, 06:13:27 PM »
God's country.  SE corner of Arizona on the Mexican border.  But be advised you and Scott are hijacking this thread so be careful. 

Scott I'll get back to you later, need to run into town and buy some lumber to make a goat milking stand for my daughter.  I'll start a new topic so I don't get into anymore trouble.
“Fate whispers to the warrior, ‘You cannot withstand the storm.’ And the warrior whispers back, ‘I am the storm’.’”

Offline so-soshot

• PPHA officers.
  • Senior Forum Member
« Reply #20 on: February 24, 2016, 09:20:46 AM »
I have been looking at new/used gun something to cover coyote fox bobcat I do reload my own shells 22 hornet is what I get would like to find H@R handi rifle.

Offline 32-20

• PPHA officers.
  • Junior Forum Member
« Reply #21 on: February 24, 2016, 10:33:49 PM »
Took a red fox a few years back with a 17 Rem. pushing a 25gr hornady hp faster then it need to go. Only 30 yards away looked like a 50 hit him Oussshhh.  took one this year with a 17 WSM and I LIKE IT my new go to gun.
Never shot a coyote with one but if I get the chance we will both know how he feels about it.
My vote goes to the 17WSM for fox going to have to work on coyotes to give you a more detailed testimony.
Good luck cant see where any of the listed choices would be a bad one.
See what fills your needs and go for it.

Offline Brushwolf

• PPHA officers.
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #22 on: February 25, 2016, 07:41:15 AM »
Here is some pic of my 17 fireball. This is the damage I see 90% of the time. If I take a hard angle shot I am getting the fishing line and needle out. Some was shot with a 25 grain hp Berger and some with a 20 hollow point blackout

This was an entry side

This was another entry side

This was an exit side. I have never had an exit with the bullets listed above

For what it is worth a cat is thin skinned and use a 25g hp Berger with the same results. Also want to mention that 99% of the shots are within 40 to 50 yards.

Offline TheBig1

• PPHA Members
  • Junior Forum Member
« Reply #23 on: February 25, 2016, 07:45:13 AM »
Thanks Brushwolf, I appreciate the illustration.  That's a nice looking fur right there.