Author Topic: Best Fox/Bobcat Caliber?  (Read 7919 times)

Offline TheBig1

• PPHA Members
  • Junior Forum Member
Best Fox/Bobcat Caliber?
« on: February 23, 2016, 01:59:57 PM »
Ok, I haven't even shot my new rifle and I'm already looking forward to purchasing my next rifle.  While on the search for my coyote rifle I asked if there was one coyote, fox, and bobcat caliber to fit them all.  I know, laugh, but I'm new and didn't know that was the Holy Grail.  My point is, I may also be wrong about thinking that one caliber can do for both fox and bobcat.

So, the question is, what is the best caliber for one rifle to hunt both fox and bobcat with minimal fur damage and the greatest amount of stopping power?

Chad

Offline scott

• PPHA Forum GURU
Re: Best Fox/Bobcat Caliber?
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2016, 02:26:26 PM »
.17 centerfires
.22 hornet

Offline TheBig1

• PPHA Members
  • Junior Forum Member
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2016, 02:43:42 PM »
Forgive my ignorance Scott, as well as any others, but only because I looked it up do I know that the 22H is a centerfire cartridge.  Which 17 cartridges are centerfires as opposed to rimfires?  I'm assuming the first one would be the 17H but what are some others?

Offline coyotejohn

• PPHA Members
  • Senior Forum Member
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2016, 02:50:57 PM »
Scott, why would you not include the .223 in your choices, or even a 22Mag?  I have killed a truck load of fox, coyotes and bobcat with a .223 and to a lesser amount with the 22Mag with minimum to no fur damage.  I would think that most of your shots in PA are at 100 yards or less which would make the 22Mag viable.
“Fate whispers to the warrior, ‘You cannot withstand the storm.’ And the warrior whispers back, ‘I am the storm’.’”

Offline Misterjake23

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2016, 02:53:24 PM »
I agree with CJ on the 223.  Simply because there are so many different loads to choose from.  The only down side is each load will shoot different and point of impact is going to be different.
Jake
York, PA
Bee's O'Brien Field Staff
If you heard my shot, Feel lucky...I wasn't aiming at you!

Offline TheBig1

• PPHA Members
  • Junior Forum Member
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2016, 03:01:21 PM »
So your opinions are that a 223 would be a good rifle for red and grey fox as well as bobcats while producing the least amount of fur damage?

Offline Misterjake23

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2016, 03:14:16 PM »
The 223 is a versitle gun coz of the various loads and bullets that are available for it.  Light loads with a JHP for fox or cats   Or hot loads with bullistic tips  for longer shots at coyotes.  But always remember, when you shoot various loads your point of impact will change.  You may have to zero your rifle or at least know your dope adjustment when you switch from one to another.
Jake
York, PA
Bee's O'Brien Field Staff
If you heard my shot, Feel lucky...I wasn't aiming at you!

Offline Pa Goosehntr

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2016, 03:17:32 PM »
TB1...look at the photos of the species specific hunt conducted by the organization this year, then inquire to the shooter of the critter what they were using...photos tell a lot, along with shot placements.  8) 8) 8) 8) 8)
I Speak Fowl Language!!
SRWA Life Member
NRA Endowment Member
NAHC Life member
PPHA Member
PTA Member

Offline scott

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2016, 03:20:34 PM »
you could use a reduced load .223 but not all of us reload, I have yet to see a factory load .223 that will stay in a fox on a broadside shot.   if you shoot them in the chest to the tail yes..   I shot a grey this year with the .222 and it was ugly..   

to me I like the bullets that will go in and not come out which I would choose the .17 fireball or the .17 hornet.. 

cats are tough and would like something a little more than the .22 mag.. when shooting one..   I have also killed coyotes with the .17 fireball and wounded one I hit in the shoulder. I found that one 2 months later in rabbit season, it ran about 300 yards and died in a brush pile.

Offline TheBig1

• PPHA Members
  • Junior Forum Member
« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2016, 03:23:07 PM »
Yes, perhaps that's something that I should've noted in my original post.  I do NOT reload, I'll be buying my ammo off of the shelf.

Offline wfo204

• PPHA Members
  • Junior Forum Member
« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2016, 04:22:04 PM »
I shot a .204 for all predators. I haven't been able to get a bobcat yet but for fox and coyotes I love it. I use hornady 32gr vmax bullet and have tons of luck with them. All my fox are dead in there track some coyotes do run a couple yards but they don't go far all depends on the shot placement. As for fur damage that also depends on shot placement most of mine have a pin hole in and that's all. I think it is a great caliber gun. I am able to take shots well past 200 yards if they choose to hold up and not come any closer. I just bought a nightforce shv 5-20x56 illuminate scope for it and this thing in a killing machine now. As long has I can call them in and see eyes I should have fur on the ground if I don't it's shooter error.

Offline scott

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2016, 04:35:55 PM »
I don't have a 204 but I have read stories about them splashing on an animal.  Specifically coyotes.  If I reloaded I would buy a James Calhoun .19. 

Offline Bigcat

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2016, 04:51:47 PM »
I was shooting a 17 hornet this year for fox with the 20 gr.  if I didn't hit it right it ripped up the fox. I was thinking of looking for something a little lighter for fox.  I haven't had a shot at a cat yet but I would think a 223 would be ok for that. I don't reload either and I'm not sure what's out there off the shelf but I wouldn't shoot a fox with my 223 after I saw what the 17 hornet will do to one. Just my .02.
Home D-5
Camp D-3

Offline coyotejohn

• PPHA Members
  • Senior Forum Member
« Reply #13 on: February 23, 2016, 05:25:51 PM »
Not too steep but steep enough that a guy with a bad back,shrapnel shreds still there, bad feet, bad legs and a nervous system shot to hell should ever try to go down, let alone come back up.  I have called many coyotes and bobcat out of this little ravine and thought I would give it a go once again, probably for the last time.  The caller WT is at the bottom right hand side and I'm about thirty yards up the grade.

.204, Hornady 32gr V-Max at about 4,000 fps.  No fur damage and he fell like he been hit with a sledgehammer.

"cats are tough and would like something a little more than the .22 mag.. when shooting one.."

When we go out and only target bobcats all I use is a little Anschutz 22Mag and my partner carries a shotgun.
Your bobcats must be tougher than ours.   
“Fate whispers to the warrior, ‘You cannot withstand the storm.’ And the warrior whispers back, ‘I am the storm’.’”

Offline scott

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #14 on: February 23, 2016, 05:33:21 PM »
U have a lot of cats.  I shot one a couple of years ago with lead BBs and it got down a hole on me.  I wish Dale shared the 4ft barbed wire trick 5 years ago.  I am sure a .22 mag would kill one but I would want more.  Don't get me wrong I would shoot a coyote with .22lr if that is what I had.