Author Topic: Number of coyotes  (Read 8156 times)

Offline Tom Stohler

• PPHA Members
  • Junior Forum Member
Number of coyotes
« on: February 19, 2016, 02:33:58 PM »
If you were to take a guess at how many coyotes are in Pennsylvania what would you guess

uncle buck

Re: Number of coyotes
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2016, 02:41:24 PM »
? In 1986 I called in none 2015-2016 I called in more coyotes than fox. Been real bad red fox hunting in my area this year. Best year for me ever calling in coyotes.

Offline Tom Stohler

• PPHA Members
  • Junior Forum Member
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2016, 02:51:35 PM »
I think reds are really taking a beating, cable restraints witch a six year old could catch fox with, everyone's calling at nite and the coyotes seams like everything is hitting the Reds, even the eagles take there share of the Reds pups

uncle buck

« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2016, 03:07:22 PM »
IMO it's coyotes pushing them out.

Offline Misterjake23

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2016, 04:59:17 PM »
  +1
Jake
York, PA
Bee's O'Brien Field Staff
If you heard my shot, Feel lucky...I wasn't aiming at you!

Offline Rookie furtaker

• Junior Forum Member
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2016, 06:43:51 PM »
Tried to call a red today since tomorrow is the last day. Didn't see anything not even crows which I almost always fire up on a call stand. I got 1 for my first year I guess that's not too bad. I only started in December. Now time to take my first yote...I can hear then laughing at me in the distance lol

Offline foxtrot

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2016, 08:51:42 PM »
Red fox numbers are down and I would agree coyotes are the reason.

Offline Misterjake23

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2016, 10:16:14 PM »
These are ole statistics, but will give you an idea...

http://www.portal.state.pa.us/portal/server.pt?open=514&objID=598430&mode=2
Jake
York, PA
Bee's O'Brien Field Staff
If you heard my shot, Feel lucky...I wasn't aiming at you!

Offline jaspr1

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2016, 06:02:14 AM »
 :(    Reminder
« on: January 15, 2016, 08:59:35 AM »
Remember if you are still hunting/trapping fox.. ??? ??? ??? ???...If you harvest a female, you are likely harvesting 4-8 fox of next year as most females are now bred  :o :o :o :o :o :o

"Goose" post from earlier, no replies!  :(  :(  Even if you shoot the Male you are seriously jeopardizing  the females ability to live and raise the pups with no help for her. Pups are gone also... :( :(........... 8) As for sticking to the question "How Many?" well to many in my book, they also do a fine job of knocking off fawns and turkeys and anything else they can sink their teeth in........
« Last Edit: February 20, 2016, 06:11:30 AM by jaspr1 »

Offline Rookie furtaker

• Junior Forum Member
« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2016, 08:00:57 AM »
I see a ton of red in nepa. My problem is seeing coyotes and grey fox. It all depends where you are.....I don't trap but I know people that do and they definitely trapped there share of reds this year. Now I think the yotes moved into their locations and decided to set up shop and mate. What I do know is that years ago I would see coyotes at night. Now a days I don't see any....I hear them but don't see them. Fox hunting is over for me till next season. Time to focus on these yotes. I think all day about ways to outsmart them suckers. ..good luck to anyone going out today
« Last Edit: February 20, 2016, 08:04:06 AM by Rookie furtaker »

Offline foxhound

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2016, 08:46:47 AM »
I stopped targeting fox at the first of the year. My buddy has property that I'm allowed to hunt. There are still red fox there that I passed on. The little guys have it tough now days. I'm hopeful that there will be more next year since I left them be. As to the number of coyotes, that's hard to say. There are areas with high numbers and areas with low numbers. I was reading Pennsylvania outdoor news the other day and the article on coyote bounties has me concerned. I've read studies that suggest that litter sizes will go up the more coyotes you kill off .....  :o :o :o  That sounds like a recipe for disaster!  Anyone have thoughts on this?
District 5 coordinator

Offline Rookie furtaker

• Junior Forum Member
« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2016, 09:49:22 AM »
I don't understand how a k9 can manipulate there breedin patterns. Having a bigger litter the next time?? How do they control that? I'm not disagreeing that it can't happen , just don't understand how that's possible. If that was the case where I am,, I would be seeing them more, but I'm not. Just signs of them
« Last Edit: February 20, 2016, 09:51:09 AM by Rookie furtaker »

Offline Lookn4Fur

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2016, 10:04:22 AM »
Coyotes make their living not being seen.  It is true they can increase and decrease litter production but it is much more detailed than that.  Carrying capacity, prey and food availability and more also play a role.  If coyotes are just moving into the area it is less likely to happen than if they were established.

I talk to people a lot that think there are no coyotes in the state.
"Predators are either active & feeding, semi-active & callable, or utterly inactive & then practically speaking, no call is needed; we're just taking our guns for a walk. We can & should get used to it, & follow their leed cuz they just ain't eager nor apt to follow our’s any time soon!

Offline foxhound

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #13 on: February 20, 2016, 10:28:41 AM »
L4F. I agree that it's more detailed than that. My thinking was, that in the short term, if you get a pile of guys hunting coyotes just add some $ to their pockets,  1 there "could" be a significant drop in the population that would in turn equal more prey for the ones left (less competition) causing a spike in the population, and  2  the guys just doing it for money without much knowledge of coyotes and coyote behavior could educate them faster than what they already are.  I'm not sure what long term affects it could have.  :-\
District 5 coordinator

uncle buck

« Reply #14 on: February 20, 2016, 04:17:55 PM »
I agree with you all. Coyotes just don't stay in an area. Once the food is gone they move. They could impact let say a block of farms deer season and a trapper fox season. No one gets any deer and no one catches red fox. Next season it could be great seasons for deer hunters and trappers. Know  where the impact occurs is fawn mortality in May and June? :(
 They could hurt the deer population. Also turkey too.Think of the number if people that call in coyotes in Gobbler  season? :(  places I did well on coyote calling this year the farmers did bad hunting deer. Those coyotes are now gone. When they were there I called and trapped 0 red fox.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2016, 04:21:23 PM by uncle buck »