Author Topic: Coyote Scouting Today...  (Read 9401 times)

Offline Rookie furtaker

• Junior Forum Member
Re: Coyote Scouting Today...
« Reply #30 on: February 12, 2016, 06:25:39 PM »
My thoughts exactly about tomorrow. Gonna be too windy and cold for them to come out. Ill probably go Sunday. Maybe do some more scouting tomorrow.

Offline jaspr1

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #31 on: February 13, 2016, 06:22:46 AM »
 :) " once deer season hit they haven't been there, either pushed out by hunter or shot during the season... " :(   I had dinner last night with landowner where I had my trail Cam in the fall.  ;D Captured 2 coyotes frequenting this woodlot.  ;D always a go to place, he told me last night he hasn't seen or heard any since back in the fall  :( although he has two Red foxes running up and down his driveway on a regular basis.  ;D ;D Being shot by the local RidgeRunners   ::) is a distinct possibility around here, due to the tight quarters.  :P Also some of the landowners are carrying a rifle while doing chores,cutting wood and pop a few inattentive one's.  :P :P I always hit the spots that held them before  ;) something about the area attracted them, so it's likely in my opinion that others will follow suit............... 8)

Offline Dale

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #32 on: February 13, 2016, 07:48:47 AM »
  I always hit the spots that held them before  ;) something about the area attracted them, so it's likely in my opinion that others will follow suit............... 8) 

that's gonna depend how badly they've killed out the food base last time any were there...
when you step out the truck, you become part of the food chain...

Genius by birth....    slacker by choice!...

Offline foxhound

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #33 on: February 13, 2016, 09:32:11 AM »
I've seen areas where new coyotes have moved in after the ones there were killed off. I think it all comes down to habitat. If it meets all their needs, including available prey, I believe new ones are sure to move in.
District 5 coordinator

Offline Pa Goosehntr

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #34 on: February 13, 2016, 01:04:42 PM »
 :o :o :o ??? ??? ??? ??? I have a question for you all  :-\ :-\ :-\ :-\ :-\ why aren't the folks working at the landfills complaining/talking about coyotes running rampant?? plenty of food  ??? ??? ??? ??? and almost always plenty of cover nearby... 8) 8) 8) 8) 8)
I Speak Fowl Language!!
SRWA Life Member
NRA Endowment Member
NAHC Life member
PPHA Member
PTA Member

Offline foxhound

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #35 on: February 13, 2016, 02:24:40 PM »
You bring up a very good point Goose. A guy I work with lives near a landfill. He's friends with the owners and hunts their property during deer season. He sees coyote sign all over the place. It's posted property and sees VERY little pressure. I'm guessing the people that work at the landfills don't see any coyotes because they avoid the area while they are open and hear equipment running. I imagine that after hours the coyotes scrounge around for that free meal. 
District 5 coordinator

Offline Rookie furtaker

• Junior Forum Member
« Reply #36 on: February 21, 2016, 10:51:24 PM »
Question for you fellas. ...where is a good area to start scouting when hunting game lands for coyote? Thanks in advance

Offline Bowman66

• Global Moderator
  • PPHA Forum GURU
  • Work the bolt and give'em a jolt!
« Reply #37 on: February 22, 2016, 07:13:28 AM »
Thick nasty areas. Rocky hillsides.
Darin Hosier
Bee's O'Brien Game Call's
Pro Staff

Offline Rookie furtaker

• Junior Forum Member
« Reply #38 on: February 22, 2016, 08:27:52 AM »
Ok thanks that's were I'll start. The places that look like perfect spots have no signs. Down jim thorpe area they have a lot of huge rock mountains. Perfect den setups but no signs of dogs. Too many tourists in the area I guess. From what I read they won't use anything that's been trampled on by humans....