Author Topic: Coyote Scouting Today...  (Read 9402 times)

Offline Predator53

• PPHA Members
  • Seasoned Forum Member
Coyote Scouting Today...
« on: February 06, 2016, 11:03:27 PM »
When out today with my coyote partner...we did alittle scouting hopeing to cut some tracks...we actually cut three different coyotes in the same area...im sure it's the alpha male and female and a 1.5 year old female pup...we found scat and urine from 2 different females....we were pretty fired up and planning a strategy....the wind has to be perfect...or a nice cross wind....we were lucky today ssw wind on our approach and the snow was soft...Coyote den is on the east side of the field and their useing it and not useing the edge to go to it.....their actually circling to the north and south and making a loop on their approach to their den...I thought that was pretty interesting.Rusty
Wicked scanpro Lights ICOTEC Gc500
 Montgromery county,Pa 5C&5D
 District 2 PPHA/NRA Member

Offline coyotejohn

• PPHA Members
  • Senior Forum Member
Re: Coyote Scouting Today...
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2016, 11:52:12 AM »
Quote from: Predator53 "sure it's the alpha male and female and a 1.5 year old female pup...we found scat and urine from 2 different females"
[/quote

Not trying to start an argument here, just need some information.  I been calling and killing coyotes for well over fifty-five years and never been able to distinguish scat and urine from males or females or if it was from different coyotes.  Also the precise age and sex of a 1.5 year old female pup.   How did you come to this conclusion?
“Fate whispers to the warrior, ‘You cannot withstand the storm.’ And the warrior whispers back, ‘I am the storm’.’”

Offline Predator53

• PPHA Members
  • Seasoned Forum Member
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2016, 12:32:04 PM »
Well I determine the female urine pattern was in circle pattern ,where the females squat and the males are ideally strung out in the snow from hacking their legs....just a guess....im no expert...but that's what im guessing...as for the scat can never tell..just seen enough of it to know it's coyote.As for the 1.5 I'm guessing it's one of the females the were born last year...how do I know this...?Ive been watching these coyotes for some years...ive observed these 2 females squatting and peeing in the wild...I can also say that the alpha pair has let them in their territory...Ive seen them around this dairy farm alot....ive called them both in on late nights,but couldn't close the deal...Ive gotten pictures of the alphas...but not the pups...im not a expert.....just my observations.Rusty
« Last Edit: February 07, 2016, 12:42:33 PM by Predator53 »

Offline Predator53

• PPHA Members
  • Seasoned Forum Member
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2016, 12:33:32 PM »
Alpha male....he's an old boy....the dates are incorrect they were taken 3 years ago...Rusty
« Last Edit: February 07, 2016, 12:38:51 PM by Predator53 »

Offline Predator53

• PPHA Members
  • Seasoned Forum Member
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2016, 12:34:32 PM »
Alpha female,if you look at her closely...you can tell shes female ;)
« Last Edit: February 07, 2016, 12:40:36 PM by Predator53 »

Offline coyotejohn

• PPHA Members
  • Senior Forum Member
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2016, 12:54:44 PM »
Damn good reasoning on the urine and you would probably be right the majority of the time. Although most of the males I have witnessed will lift their leg and not move, leaves a circular pattern also.   Scat, guess you got a fifty - fifty chance.  As to age - no way of knowing until you have them on the ground.  Curious to the timestamps, AM or PM?
« Last Edit: February 07, 2016, 12:59:08 PM by coyotejohn »
“Fate whispers to the warrior, ‘You cannot withstand the storm.’ And the warrior whispers back, ‘I am the storm’.’”

Offline Predator53

• PPHA Members
  • Seasoned Forum Member
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2016, 01:29:00 PM »
Well....this pair was moving at dark during summer....after 7pm..their howling activity was 9 to 10 pm....but was known to howl earlier in the fall..how do I know...I also bowhunt the 3 connecting farms and observed that also....and my cousin kept bugging me to hunt it....and I did....got shots twice at them..but didn't close the deal....it wasnt till last year,i found  the den (holding area) ,other hunters telling me their observations and so I went in and found it....but stayed away from it....didn't want to blow them outta there till,i had a good shot at them,so thats when I did some recon yesterday with a friend and found out alot...im going to put the trail cams back out and try to perfect my next move....up and personal..Here's another im after..she's a pretty female(squatter)....time and date are good on this picture
« Last Edit: February 07, 2016, 01:34:03 PM by Predator53 »

Offline Predator53

• PPHA Members
  • Seasoned Forum Member
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2016, 01:35:05 PM »
Male....check the time out...

Offline Rookie furtaker

• Junior Forum Member
« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2016, 06:20:22 PM »
Well went scouting today picked hit 3 spots that I knew were good coyote areas from word of mouth. Picked up on 2 sets of tracks at each stand. Was just too windy today to pull anything out. My morning stand I had several routes of tracks. I howled like crazy this morning but they didn't want to respond back or come out. I'm guessing even they didn't want to be out in these high winds. Another day....

Offline Pa Goosehntr

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2016, 06:46:26 PM »
Watch with your howling that you are not sounding too aggressive.... ??? ??? ???
I Speak Fowl Language!!
SRWA Life Member
NRA Endowment Member
NAHC Life member
PPHA Member
PTA Member

Offline Rookie furtaker

• Junior Forum Member
« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2016, 07:09:05 PM »
I use an open reed call and generally just do pup barks and howls. I used a coyote decoy I have as well along with gland lure and dazed dog for scent cover. Maybe next time I have to bring some KFC with me . I'm so hungry for my first yote!!!
« Last Edit: February 10, 2016, 07:10:37 PM by Rookie furtaker »

Offline Hern

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2016, 08:02:32 AM »
 Maybe next time I have to bring some KFC with me . I'm so hungry for my first yote!!!

Coyote & Rattlesnake tastes like Chicken.:)

Offline Pa Goosehntr

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #12 on: February 11, 2016, 08:08:57 AM »
 ;D ;D ;D ;D Hern, you would know!!  :o :o :o :o :o I do agree with the rattlesnake taste..
I Speak Fowl Language!!
SRWA Life Member
NRA Endowment Member
NAHC Life member
PPHA Member
PTA Member

Offline Lookn4Fur

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #13 on: February 11, 2016, 08:20:38 AM »
You are both crazy!  I eat snake every year and it does not taste like chicken. >:( >:( >:( >:( >:(  Actually I don't think it has any taste at all unless you season it.  I will agree the meat texture is like chicken.
"Predators are either active & feeding, semi-active & callable, or utterly inactive & then practically speaking, no call is needed; we're just taking our guns for a walk. We can & should get used to it, & follow their leed cuz they just ain't eager nor apt to follow our’s any time soon!

Offline coyotejohn

• PPHA Members
  • Senior Forum Member
« Reply #14 on: February 11, 2016, 11:23:52 AM »
Living in prime rattlesnake country I have had my share of rattlesnake.  Until one morning while tending to the horses I heard some rustling in the straw.  Went over to take a look and saw a rattlesnake swallowing a rather large packrat.  Have not eaten a rattlesnake since!