Author Topic: Locating Coyotes  (Read 9579 times)

Offline Hern

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
Re: Locating Coyotes
« Reply #30 on: January 28, 2016, 08:06:48 AM »
Scott says-
I will bet all of them have Sorel boots and wear the old wool red and black coats.

Am guilty...lol
Have Sorel's and Woolrich at back door...

Offline Lookn4Fur

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #31 on: January 28, 2016, 08:11:59 AM »
Words of wisdom right there. :o :o :o

Truth be told, I like the old coots or I wouldn't tease them.  They are very knowledgeable if you can keep them awake long enough to filter through the BS.

IHaveADreamCatcher can't sleep at night because the Old Coots are hijacking posts so could we please get back on subject (Locating Coyotes).

Nothing beats a female howl or group yip howl for me however, most of my coyote hunting is north of route 80 and for some reason they seem to respond better up there than where I live. 
"Predators are either active & feeding, semi-active & callable, or utterly inactive & then practically speaking, no call is needed; we're just taking our guns for a walk. We can & should get used to it, & follow their leed cuz they just ain't eager nor apt to follow our’s any time soon!

Offline TheBig1

• PPHA Members
  • Junior Forum Member
« Reply #32 on: January 28, 2016, 08:15:02 AM »
LOL  You called it Scott!

Lookn4, where are you located at?  I'm from Mifflinburg but live up near Wilkes Barre now.  Oh how I miss home.

Offline Hern

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #33 on: January 28, 2016, 08:17:40 AM »
Lookn2getbackontrack states-
...most of my coyote hunting is north of route 80 and for some reason they seem to respond better up there than where I live.

That's interesting.
Do you have any reasoning why that happens?

Offline Hern

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #34 on: January 28, 2016, 08:21:23 AM »
:)
« Last Edit: January 28, 2016, 08:23:44 AM by Hern »

Offline Lookn4Fur

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #35 on: January 28, 2016, 08:36:51 AM »
I live in Cumberland county.  South Central part of the state.

Hern, I feel the reason they are not as vocal is because of pressure and lack of big woods (Space).  A vocal coyote is an exposed coyote.  Exposed to hunters and other coyotes.  I feel their home territories are smaller here because of the terrain and most coyotes stay away from confrontation unless they are the Alphas that are breeding or protecting.  I also feel although the population is rapidly expanding in my area it is still lower than the north so there are less coyotes to be vocal.  I am not sure what the holding capacity is in my area but again because of the terrain it would not be as high as up north.  Just my thoughts for what it's worth. 
"Predators are either active & feeding, semi-active & callable, or utterly inactive & then practically speaking, no call is needed; we're just taking our guns for a walk. We can & should get used to it, & follow their leed cuz they just ain't eager nor apt to follow our’s any time soon!

Offline dreamcatcher

• PPHA Forum GURU
  • bizubm43@gmail.com
« Reply #36 on: January 28, 2016, 08:44:42 AM »
Hern
 It's probably because there are more of em.
 D-9's hunt starts at midnight. HOPE TO SEE Al Eppleman on Sunday.
NRA Endowment Life
Pa Trappers

Offline coyotejohn

• PPHA Members
  • Senior Forum Member
« Reply #37 on: January 28, 2016, 11:29:59 AM »
I may have posted this before or maybe on UB board.  Had never used the siren to locate coyotes, just find areas with scat and tracks set up and call.  However after reading about the siren for locating decided I'd give it  try.  Found a wide dry wash with plenty of cover for critters to spend the day in.  From the top of the wash I had a good view of anything that that would move.  I set  up and turned the caller on with the siren full blast.  Within
seconds I had a group of illegals bust out of the cover and scattered like quail, they too reacted to a siren. 
“Fate whispers to the warrior, ‘You cannot withstand the storm.’ And the warrior whispers back, ‘I am the storm’.’”

Offline Misterjake23

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #38 on: January 28, 2016, 11:36:09 AM »
Now that's funny !!!!
Jake
York, PA
Bee's O'Brien Field Staff
If you heard my shot, Feel lucky...I wasn't aiming at you!

Offline TheBig1

• PPHA Members
  • Junior Forum Member
« Reply #39 on: January 28, 2016, 11:38:04 AM »
I may have posted this before or maybe on UB board.  Had never used the siren to locate coyotes, just find areas with scat and tracks set up and call.  However after reading about the siren for locating decided I'd give it  try.  Found a wide dry wash with plenty of cover for critters to spend the day in.  From the top of the wash I had a good view of anything that that would move.  I set  up and turned the caller on with the siren full blast.  Within
seconds I had a group of illegals bust out of the cover and scattered like quail, they too reacted to a siren.

LMAO!!!!!

Offline Bowman66

• Global Moderator
  • PPHA Forum GURU
  • Work the bolt and give'em a jolt!
« Reply #40 on: January 28, 2016, 12:16:29 PM »
That would have been a sight to see. Run manny run!
Darin Hosier
Bee's O'Brien Game Call's
Pro Staff

Offline foxhound

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #41 on: January 28, 2016, 12:36:11 PM »
That's hilarious!  Would've made a great YouTube video.  :)
District 5 coordinator

Offline Hern

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #42 on: January 28, 2016, 03:07:00 PM »
Lookn2locate, thanks. That's sound reasoning.

Offline jaspr1

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #43 on: January 30, 2016, 07:51:19 AM »
 :)  IHaveADreamCatcher can't sleep at night because the Old Coots are hijacking posts so could we please get back on subject (Locating Coyotes).  :) :) Well in defense of "Hijacking" adding a little nonsense keeps the readers interested and all kinds of stuff surfaces funny (CJ's post) and other items of note.  ;D ;D The "Best" way to locate a coyote  ;).............."ASK PEOPLE YOU HAVE CONTACT WITH"..............My CEO was in Wellsboro recently for a Quilt Retreat  :P she was staying in a place close to Morris...coyotes were howling both nights she was there.  ;D some type of Religious Group owns the place for you guys who are up that way  ;D I ask the PO clerk if she ever heard any at her place,located in the country. Well nope but my brother has some who are trying to catch the cats at his barn  ::) ::) I went,he said have at it and get rid of the raccoon's also  :) :) Rangers and road crews and the list goes on.......all these people can save you a lot of time  :o...just sayin...... 8)

Offline Pa Goosehntr

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #44 on: January 30, 2016, 08:11:07 AM »
 ;) ;) ;) ;) The milk truck drivers are some of the best sources for critter information  ;) ;) ;) ;)
I Speak Fowl Language!!
SRWA Life Member
NRA Endowment Member
NAHC Life member
PPHA Member
PTA Member