Author Topic: Locating  (Read 8038 times)

Offline QUATTRO

• Global Moderator
  • PPHA Forum GURU
Locating
« on: March 18, 2015, 03:35:12 PM »
How many of you guys on here locate for coyotes? What is your preferred method? I will say for myself, I rarely ever do it. Have considered buying a hand crank siren in the past and already have sirens downloaded on my Shockwave, but I never made it a practice ...the more I think about it, the silly'r it seems NOT to do it. Especially on large properties and as part of the scouting regiment on new properties. I suppose on some spots it isn't a necessity but seems like a "no lose" tactic in some scenarios.
PPHA President

Offline Misterjake23

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
Re: Locating
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2015, 06:37:50 PM »
I've heard of guys using locator howels.  I would think that could cause them to come in before I'm set and ready.  I don't use locater calls or sirens.
Jake
York, PA
Bee's O'Brien Field Staff
If you heard my shot, Feel lucky...I wasn't aiming at you!

Offline QUATTRO

• Global Moderator
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2015, 07:17:34 PM »
The use of a siren in place of an actual vocal is to illicit an instictive response and not an actual appearance...I know  that is the train of thought  behind it...but if guys are running around blaring sirens I suppose it's just a matter of time til they are educated to that sound as well.
PPHA President

Offline QUATTRO

• Global Moderator
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2015, 07:38:22 PM »
I guess I should have worded my question differently now that I read it..meant to ask if anyone on here used sirens as locators and what were the results/methods..I have used vocals as strictly locators but only a very limited amount of times in the past..with mixed results in terms of responses...more interested in the use of siren type locators based on the theory that it will get you just a response and not have them show up necessarily..sorry
PPHA President

Offline Brushwolf

• PPHA officers.
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2015, 08:13:47 PM »
If I a strictly hunting yotes I locate using a siren or howling or sometimes both before I make a stand. I prefer using a siren. Using a "locater howl or howls" could result in them coming in and there u are with your pants down. My method is locate them then setup on them. Just cause u don't locate them don't mean there not there. I have went many hours during the night did not get a response then come back through a few hours later and they responded. I don't know what it is but it is like a switch turned on. This has happend to me many of nights locating. U will be surprised where one night u will hear them and the next night where there will be. Then u have coyotes that r in roughly the same area. But yes I use a siren

Offline Buckwheat

• PPHA Forum GURU
    • http://EWCALLS.com
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2015, 10:32:41 PM »
Brushwolf
When you hear coyotes at a different area from your listening point how do you know they are the same coyotes you think they are?
For a brief moment I could hear nature through all the noise.

2008 PPHA State Predator Calling Champion
 Tri-X-Stand Rifle
Rests http://www.ewcalls.com/
Stand in the open, We will make you shine!

uncle buck

« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2015, 08:40:33 AM »
Ya can you tell if the coyotes are Lancaster SEPA Coyotes or Luzerne county NEPA coyotes by their ethnic twang of their howls! You got your Amish Coyotes and you got your Polish Coyotes!  :)

On two occasions one being on a hunt with Scott police sirens in the night caused coyotes to howl. The one time here in Cumberland county the police siren on a major highway near by caused a coyote to open up. I quickly went from my fox hunting sounds to my coyote scenario and called in the biggest coyote ever!
Train whistles, horns  and bells ! Wow now do they get the coyotes howling!
You could tell after awhile if a coyote is a female or male by the pitch of the vocals! Low a older male and  high a female! Yes use sirens to locate them big time!
In defense of if you can tell if it's the same coyote above.. If the food source is good the coyotes will hang around for quite a long time.. So you could actually get to hear them howl often..
By all means use sirens to locate them...Actually any loud noise will get them howling but I just can't see us predator hunter breaking the night silence with the air horns we use on our boats for safety.. the farmers household would get sick of hearing that constantly.
So many things we do post on here we need to ask ourselves is this theory or is it fact.. The siren thing IMO is fact. Read an article once that you should locate them in the morning hours with sirens and then sneak back in the sun up time frame and call them in with a rabbit distress.. There have been times when calling that two howls right at the beginning of the calling scenario called  in two coyotes within 20 seconds of doing the howls..  This has happened for me twice now.. so nope don't ever use howling to try to locate coyotes..
Something too that coyotes will sometimes come in for food distress sounds when calling fox and other times will not even be bothered when your calling fox but they are there...The coyote is such a unpredictable critter that's for sure..
« Last Edit: March 19, 2015, 09:09:15 AM by uncle buck »

Offline QUATTRO

• Global Moderator
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2015, 09:23:00 AM »
Ya can you tell if the coyotes are Lancaster SEPA Coyotes or Luzerne county NEPA coyotes by their ethnic twang of their howls! You got your Amish Coyotes and you got your Polish Coyotes!  :)

Great feedback ..I think the siren locating will be something I use more often..And as for Polish twangs, I am married to a bona fide Polish woman so I am quite familiar with being barked at in that twang! I hear it daily brother!
PPHA President

uncle buck

« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2015, 10:02:49 AM »
Quattro I can say the Polish thing because I'm Slovak .. So we are are just over the border to each other in Europe.. LOL wow those Polish women can sure cook!!!!!

Offline QUATTRO

• Global Moderator
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2015, 11:31:19 AM »
Quattro I can say the Polish thing because I'm Slovak .. So we are are just over the border to each other in Europe.. LOL wow those Polish women can sure cook!!!!!

HAHA! Yes they can! And I'm Italian so its a double whammy when it comes to food! It's even better when you can eat over there...and the vodka is mandatory at every meal! Actually, going back there in May for a wedding... Been a goal of mine to set up a fox hunting trip one of these times we go over in the winter...although they currently live in the city, her family still owns the farm that her father grew up in..absolutely beautiful from a fox hunting guys perspective...and believe me, last winter we went there and visited the farm I was looking for  fox the whole time..last trip out, on the way back, I finally saw a big ol red mousing in the snow..it was cool.
PPHA President

Offline Brushwolf

• PPHA officers.
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2015, 12:15:02 PM »
Brushwolf
When you hear coyotes at a different area from your listening point how do you know they are the same coyotes you think they are?
Well this is from locating farmland one night and hearing say a pair and come back and locate at the same place and hear a pair from the next farm over or like a 1/2 mile from where you heard them the night before. That's why I think they are the same yotes.

Offline Buckwheat

• PPHA Forum GURU
    • http://EWCALLS.com
« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2015, 12:49:12 PM »
Brushwolf
Thanks for the answer. I would also think they are the same ones since no others howled some were else at the same time. But i am never sure. The only time I feel sure is if they howl at the same place. I wish we had more reasurch information on pa coyotes
For a brief moment I could hear nature through all the noise.

2008 PPHA State Predator Calling Champion
 Tri-X-Stand Rifle
Rests http://www.ewcalls.com/
Stand in the open, We will make you shine!

Offline HDRoadking3058

• PPHA Members
  • Junior Forum Member
« Reply #12 on: March 19, 2015, 01:14:13 PM »
You are so right Ernie. There's definitely not much to be found on our dogs. The most information I have gotten was from listening and talking to you! and I dont want to leave out Hern as he has some great information also!
Tim
Westmoreland County
District 6

Offline coyotejohn

• PPHA Members
  • Senior Forum Member
« Reply #13 on: March 19, 2015, 01:28:46 PM »
I may have posted this a few years back, not sure.  Really no need to locate out here in the desert, find a good location and start calling.  However I was reading about how guys will play a siren to locate coyotes and we all know that dogs will howl at  firetrucks or a police siren so it must work.  I decided to give it a try.  Went to a rather wide but shallow sendero where I have called coyotes in before.  Sat down and turned on the siren, had illegals jumping out all over the place, they must of thought the border patrol was closing in on them. 

On another point not related to calling:  UB said "I can say the Polish thing because I'm Slovak" and then Quattro said " I'm Italian ".  Are you guys here on a green card or are you illegals.  Why do people say they are whatever, when I'm asked my nationality I say I'm American and proud of it. 

Just one of my pet peeves, if I made you think about it -- good.
“Fate whispers to the warrior, ‘You cannot withstand the storm.’ And the warrior whispers back, ‘I am the storm’.’”

Offline Pa Goosehntr

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #14 on: March 19, 2015, 02:46:39 PM »
 ;D ;D ;D ;D CJ I remember hearing the siren and illegals jumping before and still laugh at it....as far as what I am  ??? ??? ??? ??? Just a silly Goose.... ;) ;) ;) ;)
I Speak Fowl Language!!
SRWA Life Member
NRA Endowment Member
NAHC Life member
PPHA Member
PTA Member