Author Topic: productive areas of Pa.  (Read 8114 times)

Offline zekedogg

• PPHA Forum GURU
Re: productive areas of Pa.
« Reply #30 on: October 23, 2011, 06:24:22 PM »
be glad for that.  coyots are knokking down the deer here.it is pretty simple easy to kill a coyot here.

I'm looking forward to all the pics of dead yotes you're gonna post this year.  ;D
Rick Comport

Pennsylvania Predator Hunters Association

Claybird

« Reply #31 on: October 25, 2011, 07:59:36 PM »
im lokking foward to a new electonic camra your sending me hahaha
i pop them and let them lie. i got 7 so far this year 1 in jan-1 in feb-2 inturkie-1 in sep-2 in oct

Offline Lookn4Fur

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #32 on: October 26, 2011, 08:18:21 AM »
I think what people are saying is, its hard to believe your numbers without some pics.  Not that you have to prove anything but putting up consistant numbers by calling only is hard to do in PA.
"Predators are either active & feeding, semi-active & callable, or utterly inactive & then practically speaking, no call is needed; we're just taking our guns for a walk. We can & should get used to it, & follow their leed cuz they just ain't eager nor apt to follow our’s any time soon!

Offline zekedogg

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #33 on: October 26, 2011, 04:09:21 PM »
Claybird please show us how easy it is, cause it doesn't seem all that easy to me. I seem to work hard for every critter I shoot. Maybe if you have the secret you could pass it on to me!!  :o
« Last Edit: October 26, 2011, 04:10:40 PM by zekedogg »
Rick Comport

Pennsylvania Predator Hunters Association

Offline Bees OBrien

• Seasoned Forum Member
« Reply #34 on: October 26, 2011, 07:59:51 PM »
as far as areas go Im sure i live in one of the toughest parts of the state to kill critters. All mountain terrain no farm fields. just straight up tall standing woods and some thick brush, gray population is steady, coyotes are here in good numbers but i think cover and terrain make them difficult at times, coons are tough here with no corn fields to call, bobcats are bobcats tough any where in the state and reds, well i can count the number of reds ive seen here on one hand anyone can attest to the difficulty of the sproul state forest for fur calling that has come to the NC Hunt or the guys that have cabins up this way......

Offline Rosko

• Junior Forum Member
« Reply #35 on: October 26, 2011, 08:16:10 PM »
Well it isn,t realy a secret it,s mostly a lot of scouting and knowing where the critters are then you can get an idea of what kind of numbers are in the area you are hunting. Your success or lack of success is in how much time you put into it. you look for tracks, scat,feeding areas and travel ways. Now that you have done now its time to look into the appoach and setup. the appoach starts when you pull into the parking area no doors slaming no more talking to anyone and as little noise as posible . move to the setup area with red light on scanning the area, use tree lines , tall grass edges to break up your silowet as you move. pay attention wind dirction if its blowing into your calling area you may not want to set up there.

uncle buck

« Reply #36 on: October 26, 2011, 09:10:57 PM »
Most times all areas are productive.  Many times it's what you did or what you didn't do that ends up in a predator coming to a call...Things like walking in to far on your first stand... yep....you just scared a red or a coyote because you wanted to call a certain terrain... However that predator was real close to where you parked your vehicle..

There are going to be some nights no matter what sound you use your going to call in predators... Others nights the conditions you feel are going to be just right and your wrong you won't call in anything.

Using to much electronics and not being a person who uses either hand or mouth calls will make you fail too....When starting with electronics finish with using mouth calls or if your using electronics always end with using the Gray Fox Pup... you be surprised on how many red fox you can pop now and then with the GFP sound..

Playing the electronics to loud.. Especially food sounds..

Even hunting with a new hunter that just won't listen to you... Like move from a stand you put them on or turns off his light after the hunt... many a time a coyote is near and all of a sudden his light goes off and you hear that howl and barking in the distance..

In populated  areas start later like 8:00 PM  stay out later into the morning hours...After Standard Time it will get dark at 5:00 PM but there is going to be 999 people coming home from work traveling past those farms your trying to hunt..
« Last Edit: October 26, 2011, 09:16:52 PM by uncle buck »

Offline Rosko

• Junior Forum Member
« Reply #37 on: October 27, 2011, 11:49:26 AM »
Reading this post has made me deside  to take a road trip im heading north to Forrest County to chase some fox and coyotes for the weekend. Turkey season comes in there this Saterday so i will hunt some turkey also.

Offline predator77

• PPHA Forum GURU
  • Ian
    • Facebook
« Reply #38 on: November 19, 2011, 02:56:55 PM »
i hear on the eastern side of the state you cant kick a bush without a fox running out of it.  over here on the western side there are a good number of fox.  but i know around me they are trapped hard and often shot at by all kinds of hunters and farmers.
So very true. I once thought I had this area of woods to myself and used to see alot of reds but then I heard about a guy trapping, one predator hunting and one property owner who shot 4 himself.
FayetteNam