Author Topic: Local Coyote Hunters  (Read 8330 times)

Offline Hern

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
Local Coyote Hunters
« on: February 13, 2010, 07:22:24 AM »
Here's  pictures from a local Coyote Hunter (Snyder County).
They been having luck for the past 6-8 weeks. Say they really been on a roll.
Two weeks ago they had a 27 mile chase!

These pictures are from Tuesday (2-9-10). Lots more snow since Wednesday dumping.
They killed 2 Coyotes Tuesday.
Coyote at bay under crick bank....

Offline foxpro51

• PPHA Forum GURU
Re: Local Coyote Hunters
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2010, 09:33:32 AM »
Hern are the dogs trained to go around posted property. You know if they ran a coyote 27 miles they passed through posted ground. Impossible not to.

Offline foxpro51

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2010, 09:43:38 AM »
Did the hunters follow the dogs for 27 miles on foot or follow with a vehicle? You allready know the answer. The latter is illegal. Must stop it hurts our sport.

uncle buck

« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2010, 06:56:09 PM »
Hern neat thanks for sharing.

Offline Hern

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2010, 07:02:10 PM »
'51, they have tracking device on some hounds and can determine how far hounds travel.
This hunt was a remote mountain area. I wasn't there, so I can't say if they strayed on private property. I don't think anyone in this rural area has a beef with hounds run'n Coyote.
This group of hunters are well known to our area. I never heard of them getting into trouble. Several of these hunters are in law enforcement, but most are farmers and all are good folks, down to earth, good ole boys for sure. I think our WCO has hunted with them a time or two. I have hunted with them (their fathers and grandfathers) years ago and they are as rough and tough as they come, they hunt hard and work for every Coyote.
Earlier this season, a Coyote pulled trap stake out and took trap from a local trapper (aka Shade Mt.). He called the hound hunter and ask if he could get this Coyote for him. He did. He killed the Coyote and got the trap back for the trapper. Hound hunter even wanted to give the Coyote to trapper. Trapper declined Coyote but got his trap back.
I don't have a beef with hound hunters. Not at all. They do what they do and are good at it, for sure.

Offline foxpro51

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2010, 07:09:16 PM »
Tracking devices are illegal. To follow a tracking device by vehicle is illegal in Pennsylvania. Hope that guy pointing the gun at the other hunters head knows the gun might be loaded.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2010, 07:11:13 PM by foxpro51 »

Offline Hern

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2010, 07:23:08 PM »
'51 asks-
Did the hunters follow the dogs for 27 miles on foot or follow with a vehicle?
Naw, sorta like a Deer drive. Post shooters (watchers) at key spots.
Modern day hound hunters use tracking devices on hounds.

Deer hunters use a method of driving up/down roads, in field/woods then dumping (deploying) watchers outa vehicles to wait on Deer drivers to push Deer. Hound hunters adapted same methods to deploy watchers.

Offline foxpro51

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2010, 07:28:47 PM »
Again, tracking devices are illegal to use. This is how you do it. You track dogs by vehicle and than post hunters by vehicle. ILLEGAL period in Pa.. Kill dogs are also used. Anyone can shoot coyotes with tracking devices and dogs. Predator hunting is calling in animal, out smarting animal and maybe getting a shot. Yes, i am against the sport if you call it that.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2010, 07:32:06 PM by foxpro51 »

Offline payotechaser

« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2010, 08:02:23 AM »
Congrats to those hunters for a hard earned coyote,and hern ive read your other posts you are a sportsman that sticks together with other sportsman whether trapping ,hunting with dogs or calling ,need more guys like you.

Offline jaspr1

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2010, 08:13:14 AM »
Apparently this was all the talk up that way.....My brother was saying last night, he heard this at a local gun shop.... whatever happened to "FAIR CHASE"?  40 yrs ago the coyote would have gotten away...the dogs would have been lost for a day or two and the hunters would have been in a frazzle.... I have no beef with houndsmen, as almost everyone today is guilty of some indiscretion....trail cams, walkie talkies,tree stands,scent lok,scents,cover scents,gps,tracking devices,etc.,etc..some may be legal... but... whatever happened to getting your gun or bow out of the closet and going hunting one on one? For example.. Is a 20 pt buck shot off a trail cam out of a tree stand on the first day more of a trophy than a 6 pt. shot on the ground the last day  sans any artificial help...Depends on how much you respect the creature your pursuing, who only has his instincts to help him....JMO...I'm guilty to,by the way...getting lazier by the year..One other point of interest...these upstanding, law abiding houndsmen, aren't displaying hunting license, be interesting to see if local WCO picks up on this....OOPS! no WCO in Snyder Co. right now, I believe due to retirement...besides its cold out and whomever is covering is either home doing paperwork in warm house or trapping turkeys from someone who has some, to give someone who has none...not worrying about that dog under the bank who couldn't out run Techno-Geeko...

Offline mountain dog

• PPHA Members
  • Junior Forum Member
« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2010, 09:44:45 AM »
Hern great pictures, Thanks

Offline mountain dog

• PPHA Members
  • Junior Forum Member
« Reply #11 on: February 14, 2010, 10:25:56 AM »
Maybe I am wrong, but why are younot aloud to use tracking collars to hunt. Page31 of the pa. hunting&trapping digest says you can.

Offline scott

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #12 on: February 14, 2010, 10:39:35 AM »
you can use them to locate your lost dogs but you cannot use them to help kill a coyote.  very fine line. 

Offline Hern

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #13 on: February 14, 2010, 01:17:24 PM »
Back when I hunted with this outfit, they didn't use modern electronics.
Am not sure how they track nowadays. Maybe a laptop? or hand held GPS? I have no clue.
You can split hairs and pick these boys apart, but they hunt hard as anyone for sure and care for hounds 365 days a year.
Jaspr, these pictures were on Shade Mountain, near your brother's home.

Offline Pa yote hunter

• PPHA Members
« Reply #14 on: February 14, 2010, 01:26:30 PM »
Was is there always a sore As* that has to run their mouth in every crowd.I say fantastic job and great pics.