Author Topic: I tawt I taw a putty tat!  (Read 7661 times)

Offline bigben

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
I tawt I taw a putty tat!
« on: January 16, 2010, 11:48:41 PM »
I did I did.   ;)

Well I tagged out this weekend.  I started north this morning around 4 and got to the happy hunting grounds at daybreak.  I started out at a location that Coyotejeff tipped me on.  I made a few stands and found some cat sign.  at around 11 I turned even further north to see if there was any sign at another location.  I found some but not as good as what I seen in the morning.  So I had enough time to head south to get a few stands in before dark. 

Atleast so I thought.  I ended up getting stuck numerous times as the sun beat on the roads it melted em just enough to be a pain in the side.  After making it down out of the mountain I made it to where I was in the morning and had just enough time for a short daylight stand.  I called for 15 minutes till it was too dark to see.  I walked back to the truck and grabbed the light.  I wanted to make a few stands and then take a break and then do a few more before heading home.  I wanted to make the most out of this trip. 

I setup in front of a dirt pile and was watching a pine tree line of some of the thickest country I have ever called.  I turned on the foxpro to screaming jay and made two sweeps of the light.  There they were.  A set of burning red eyes looking at me from the cover of trees.  I followed the set of eyes threw the trees.  I had to get him to stop soon because the truck was soon approaching to be between us.  I twisted the power up on my scope and made the id.  At the crack of the gun I imagined that I heard the solid thump of a bullet finding its mark but I wasn't sure of the hit. 

I had a good mark so I walked over and checked the spot.  A few drops of blood and paw prints.  I called Jeff and asked if he could come up and help me track it.  After about an hour we took up the trail.  With fresh snow on the ground it was easy to follow the cat.  I was starting to loose confidence as I followed the diminishing blood trail.  The trail went under a group of trees and I looked with my light but didn't find no hide piled up close by.  I walked around that clump of trees and found blood again.  I looked to my right and there he was laying. 

It is a 30 lb tom cat.  It was a 100 yd shot and the cat traveled about 100 yds before he finally collapsed. 
“If you want to know all about a man, go camping with him. Probably you think you know him already, but if you have never camped on the trail with him, you do not”. Eldred Nathaniel Woodcock. “Fifty Years a Hunter and Trapper.”

Offline bigben

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
Re: I tawt I taw a putty tat!
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2010, 11:50:20 PM »
“If you want to know all about a man, go camping with him. Probably you think you know him already, but if you have never camped on the trail with him, you do not”. Eldred Nathaniel Woodcock. “Fifty Years a Hunter and Trapper.”

uncle buck

« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2010, 11:54:58 PM »
Congrats!!!!!Outstanding Story too!!!Thanks for sharing that with us.....Wow 30 pounder yet????That is AWESOME!!!!!!!

Offline bigben

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2010, 12:00:22 AM »
One more pic yet  ;D

This is the entry side on the front shoulder.  I shot it with a .223 55gr psp.  I had shot through about 4ft of brush and the bullet stayed together.  Try that with a vmax. 
« Last Edit: January 17, 2010, 12:01:50 AM by bigben »

Offline Lifes2fun

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2010, 12:11:19 AM »
Nice going bud...Congratulations!!!!!!!!
THIS IS SPARTA!!

Offline longhair

• Seasoned Forum Member
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2010, 01:15:39 AM »
Way to go ben !!!! ;)
Whatado !!!!
District 6
"When the queen is happy, There's peace in the kingdom."

Offline 220_Woody

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2010, 01:43:04 AM »
WOOHOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

man Ben...i gotta tell ya...i was as pumped as you were when i got your call. i'm so happy for you!! hope to see some pics that are abit larger...i wanna see this cat real good!!!

CONGRATS AND A JOB WELL DONE!! your getting to be a he77 of a cat caller! ;D
A critic is a legless man who teaches running.
- Channing Pollock

Renny

« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2010, 05:33:20 AM »
Congrats!!!

Offline Hern

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2010, 06:49:09 AM »
Good Story, Ben.
Good Job. Congratulations.
A turdy pounder, wow!

Offline scott

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2010, 07:39:54 AM »
great story, congratulations. 

Offline muttbuster

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2010, 07:48:29 AM »
Great job Ben, be proud of that one. Bigger pics? Looks like a full body mount to me.
President PPHA

Offline Leglifter

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2010, 07:59:59 AM »
Great job Ben!!!
Congrats!!!

Offline dreamcatcher

• PPHA Forum GURU
  • bizubm43@gmail.com
« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2010, 08:29:53 AM »
Wow. Sometimes we do win. Nice going
NRA Endowment Life
Pa Trappers

Offline jaspr1

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #13 on: January 17, 2010, 08:35:48 AM »
Way to go Ben....great pics thanks....

Offline predator77

• PPHA Forum GURU
  • Ian
    • Facebook
« Reply #14 on: January 17, 2010, 08:37:09 AM »
Awesome Ben! I couldn't have happend to a nicer guy. ;) Congratulations!
FayetteNam