Author Topic: Who's hunting in this weather?  (Read 9017 times)

Offline swarter2

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
Re: Who's hunting in this weather?
« Reply #30 on: January 16, 2009, 10:52:18 PM »
At least you tried
David P Swarter
286 Parkview Drive
Souderton, Pa 18964
Cell (215)285-1820
e-mail - swarter32@verizon.net
District 2
Bees Obrien Game Calls Field Staff

Offline Hern

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #31 on: January 17, 2009, 06:18:06 AM »
BP asks...
I ain't picking no fight...All the critters we are talking about are canines and don't hibernate.  How can one dog breed "hole up" and not eat for a few days in sub-freezing tempatures while the other 2 dog breeds increase their traveling/hunting/eating by adding daylight hours?
Because you are talking about three different critters. They don't hibernate, you're right. They will hole up during extreme conditions,all 3, even Wolves. High winds, heavy snow, heavy rain will force these critters to lay up from hunting/traveling. Their nature is to wait it out. Wait to hunt or to breed. They sense approaching weather fronts and  feed up before foul weather. During extended cold periods, they will hunt/travel when hunger urges 'em. Breeding season has a large window, and it will occur, sooner or later.
Grey Fox can hole up because of fat reserves. Any one that has skun a Grey can testify to Fat and having to flesh 'em. Greys live in a small area and don't have to travel far.
Red Fox have little Fat and have to keep moving. Reds do lay up for a day or two or three but have to keep moving and that's part of their nature. Skun a Red and see how much Fat is on the hide.
Coyote hole up too for several days. Coyote do have Fat, just skun a flee biten, stinky Coyote.
Canines, by adding daylight travel hours during or mid-January to late February will get the breeding done and food in their belly.
I am not an expert. These are my obersvations and knowledge from studies I read. Am interested in learning more.

Offline foxpro51

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #32 on: January 17, 2009, 09:04:36 AM »
7 below last night. I tried but only lasted 3 stands. We did notice lots of fox tracks in the snow. Fox are in pairs.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2009, 09:06:12 AM by foxpro51 »

Offline Rosko

• Junior Forum Member
« Reply #33 on: January 17, 2009, 10:59:18 AM »
I have notticed they are running in pairs also but no luck calling them in. think I,ll start hunting them with the truck they seem to be running in front of it more.

longhair

« Reply #34 on: January 17, 2009, 11:18:24 AM »
I would agree with hern. With the extreme cold at night, you are more apt to see more critter activety in daylight hours. ;)

Offline foxpro51

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #35 on: January 17, 2009, 01:09:35 PM »
Rosko, funny you said that. Both pairs of fox were walking down the middle of dirt or gravel roads.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2009, 01:31:19 PM by foxpro51 »

Offline predator77

• PPHA Forum GURU
  • Ian
    • Facebook
« Reply #36 on: January 17, 2009, 01:49:05 PM »
I've been dealing with the same in my area. Tracks everywhere (even in my neighbors yard) but I can't call them in. I'm downloading the female red fox in heat mp3. Maybe that will work. They have to be moving sometime through the day or night to leave tracks.
FayetteNam

Offline Rosko

• Junior Forum Member
« Reply #37 on: January 17, 2009, 03:09:27 PM »
I plan to put an all out assalt on them tonite the truck is full of gas and everything is charged. We,ll see what happens.

Offline Hern

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #38 on: January 17, 2009, 03:16:46 PM »
I was out before daylight this morning. Nothing.
Came home to warm up and headed out at daybreak. Made a few stands along back roads. Saw one Red and didn't get a shot.
I gave up just before ten o'clock.
Called Tom P. on my way home and he said it was -10 degrees! No wonder I was cold... :o
Tom and I talked about the conditions here in the central Susquehanna Valley and Buffalo Valley. It's near impossible to make a quite approach to a stand. We have snow, then an icy glaze then another inch of snow. Crunch, crunch, crunch. Rough conditions. Am hole'n up the rest of the weekend with Whiskey and Water.
Is there any Golf or Racing on TV this weekend? I need a good nap.

Offline Rosko

• Junior Forum Member
« Reply #39 on: January 17, 2009, 04:04:10 PM »
Just looked out side here in wesrten Pa. it is dumping down the snow that will make it hard to see tonite. Hope it stops in a little while, a fresh coating will make it nice to see fresh tracks.

Offline Rosko

• Junior Forum Member
« Reply #40 on: January 17, 2009, 09:14:41 PM »
Just got back in from huntin, it,s snowin so hard I could,nt see 20 feet in front of me for the last 2 sets so it was time to hang it up till tommorrow morning. these old eyes can see a little better in the daylite anyways.

Offline Coulter

• Junior Forum Member
« Reply #41 on: January 17, 2009, 10:27:47 PM »
Well, It's blizzard conditions in NW PA right now. It was 1 degree this morning and I stayed home to work on calls. Tomorrow I plan to head out in the mornig regardless of temps. I need to get out for a spell. And my snowshoes need a good workout anyway. I have at least 3-4 stand locations in mind maybe more if I get in touch with a landowner tomorrow. You gotta be out where the fur is to put it down. I will be back in time to watch Arizona head to the Superbowl though. ;D

Steve
It does not require a majority to prevail but rather an irate, tireless minority keen to set brush fires in people's minds    ~Samuel Adams~

Offline swarter2

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #42 on: January 17, 2009, 10:29:59 PM »
I will be back in time to watch Arizona head to their winter vacation spot.
David P Swarter
286 Parkview Drive
Souderton, Pa 18964
Cell (215)285-1820
e-mail - swarter32@verizon.net
District 2
Bees Obrien Game Calls Field Staff

Offline ED HALL

« Reply #43 on: January 18, 2009, 01:31:27 AM »
I'D BE HUNTING.  ITS PRIME TIME. COLD WEATHER, MATING SEASON, CANT KILL THEM IF YOURE NOT HUNTING. THIS IS THE FIRST AND LAST HUNTING AND TRAPPING SEASON I EVER MISSED. LEAVING FOR IRAQ IN A COUPLE DAYS.  BE BACK IN SEPTEMBER.  I FEEL BAD FOR THEM PREDATORS NEXT YEAR.
OTHER THAN MISSING MY KIDS MISSING HUNTING AND TRAPPING IS THE WORST.

Offline Dale

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #44 on: January 18, 2009, 04:22:46 AM »
Ed... thank you for your service... good luck and keep your powder dry... get back here safely in time for next season...
« Last Edit: January 18, 2009, 01:59:40 PM by Dale »
when you step out the truck, you become part of the food chain...

Genius by birth....    slacker by choice!...