Author Topic: Knight & Hale Heckl'n Howler  (Read 3450 times)

Offline melsdad

• Junior Forum Member
    • Traditional Muzzleloading Association
Knight & Hale Heckl'n Howler
« on: November 10, 2010, 09:50:00 PM »
>>>------Brian------>

''Life's tough ... it's even tougher if you're stupid.''

- John Wayne

District 6

uncle buck

Re: Knight & Hale Heckl'n Howler
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2010, 12:48:16 AM »
Nope sorry I don't own one of these...  I do like these calls http://www.critrcall.com/   One of the best is the Songdog Jr.However it takes a bit of mastering to talk coyote talk on it...

A good open reed howler call for a beginner would be the Primos Lil Dogs...
https://shop.primos.com/pc-607-20-lil-dog.aspx

You can do rabbits, woodpecker,  jackrabbits, puppy whines, kiyi, coyote howls etc etc.. It will not freeze up in the winter like a closed reed call that have metal reeds in it.. See your saliva will freeze it shut within seconds of using..

Now the Primos KIYI has plastic reed and you can do puppy whines, KIYI, and cottontail and jackrabbit distress on this particular closed reed call...
« Last Edit: November 11, 2010, 12:53:15 AM by uncle buck »

Offline bigben

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2010, 05:49:01 AM »
I have seen one and tried using one this summer and I couldn't use it but I think I was forcing too much air through.  This is JMO but when your dealing with howlers most of the time when they are closed reed such as this one they are hard to get volume out of along with getting different types of sounds out of it.  IMO you are better off using a open reed howler.  practice with it to.  not all howlers you can pick up and use right the first time.  practice with it and if possible sit down with someone and have them show you.  there are tons of howlers out there that are commercially made and also custom calls. 
“If you want to know all about a man, go camping with him. Probably you think you know him already, but if you have never camped on the trail with him, you do not”. Eldred Nathaniel Woodcock. “Fifty Years a Hunter and Trapper.”

uncle buck

« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2010, 12:14:31 PM »
I do have a few of the Knight & Hale closed reed calls and they will call predators... However IMO howler should be open reed.. I have closed reed howler...Quakerboy and such and just don't like the tone of them... It not hard to do a HOWL with a open reed call...Hold the open reed call in your mouth.  Turn it upward at an angle.. Not straight out...It should be facing up with the end about where your eyes are.  As you blow into the call and do the howl take your teeth and slide it from the back of the reed to the front.  your howl does not have to be perfect.. Probably one of the easiest coyote vocalization to make on any open reed predator call...

Offline melsdad

• Junior Forum Member
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2010, 07:47:19 PM »
Thanks guys I was looking at this call thinking it may be an easy call for a beginner. I have a Crit'R call "song Dog" I will just have to practice with it. Looks like I willl be freakin' out the dog, and chasin' the wife out of the house again ;D.
>>>------Brian------>

- John Wayne

District 6

Offline Leglifter

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2010, 08:04:08 PM »
melsdad,
will you be at the northcentral hunt luncheon?
If so, I have a closed reed howler that I will give you

Offline melsdad

• Junior Forum Member
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2010, 11:20:51 PM »
Leglifter, I will not be able to make it this weekend. I very much appreciate the offer though!!
>>>------Brian------>

- John Wayne

District 6