Author Topic: Would an experienced coyote hunter help out a williamsport area newbie?  (Read 1709 times)

Offline Team Howler

• Junior Forum Member
    • Lycoming Fence Company LLC (Personal Business)
Just checking to see if an experienced hunter from the Willemstad area would help out a new guy. I live in the mince area but will travel to where you are. Ive been hunting coyotes for a few years now but with minimal success. I am eager to learn the sport and get seasoned and be successful. The guys manning the PPHA both in Harrisburg told me this is a good way to get out there with some experienced hunters. So please drop me a line so we can plan a hunt.
Thanks
Matt Brown
Hunt safely!
District 3
Matt Brown
Arsenal: Savage Model 12 22-250, Tikka T3 lite Stainless .233, Ruger model 77 mark II .243, Tikka T3 Lite Stainless 25/06
Tools
FoxPro Firestorm w/ Fox Jack, Kill Light 250 and 100, Various Hand Calls

Offline Lookn4Fur

• PPHA Forum GURU
Re: Would an experienced coyote hunter help out a williamsport area newbie?
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2011, 10:40:33 AM »
As it is late in the season and there are some major hunts at the moment, you may not find a lot of guys willing to help out at the moment.  Early next fall may be a different thing.  This is a great place to learn.  Ask questions and read post then go out and apply.
Calling Coyotes and putting up numbers are not synonymous in PA.

There is a lot of pressure right now.  Good luck though and thanks for jumping on the boards.
"Predators are either active & feeding, semi-active & callable, or utterly inactive & then practically speaking, no call is needed; we're just taking our guns for a walk. We can & should get used to it, & follow their leed cuz they just ain't eager nor apt to follow our’s any time soon!

Offline scott

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2011, 10:45:37 AM »
I am about an hour away from Williamsport if you are willing to meet at the bottom of redrock (487 and 118) i can hunt with you.   But like Tim said it wouldn't be until mid March and they are pretty educated by then.  but we can give it a try.   

Offline Team Howler

• Junior Forum Member
    • Lycoming Fence Company LLC (Personal Business)
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2011, 10:52:09 AM »
I'm definately getting out there. 2-3 times a week i try to hit the woods. I appreciate the response. I look forward to talking and meeting with members in the future. I want to be involved as much as possible.
Hunt safely!
District 3
Matt Brown
Arsenal: Savage Model 12 22-250, Tikka T3 lite Stainless .233, Ruger model 77 mark II .243, Tikka T3 Lite Stainless 25/06
Tools
FoxPro Firestorm w/ Fox Jack, Kill Light 250 and 100, Various Hand Calls

Offline coyotenightmare

• PPHA Members
  • Seasoned Forum Member
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2011, 01:48:35 PM »
The only way to learn is by experience. What you do before you call is the most important thing you do and will determine your success. I am not a pro, but have killed a number of coyotes in Pa. Don't think you can go out there and call in and shoot high numbers of them. Never call an area where you can't set up right, even if you can hear them howling. The sound you use don't matter so much as the wind direction, your approach, if your concealed, etc...most distress sounds work great. My favorite is rabbit distress, and my favorite howls are female invitation and a long lonesome howl. Never overcall an area. Usually the coyotes will get very educated if you do, and never tell someone else your honey hole...trust me i learned the hard way...