Author Topic: why couldn't opening day be tonight??  (Read 1280 times)

Offline scott

• PPHA Forum GURU
why couldn't opening day be tonight??
« on: October 15, 2009, 04:22:23 PM »
there is already coating of snow at my house and it is coming down hard now, would be nice to go out tonight at 12:00 a.m.   

will this cold weather prime up the coats faster? 

Offline waterfowler1183

• Junior Forum Member
Re: why couldn't opening day be tonight??
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2009, 03:29:23 PM »
I think its hard to say I have peeled coons from oct that were almost prime and peeled em in middle of nov and they were blue.  As far as foxes at least around southern Pa they dont get real nice til after Thanksgiving.  Cant really say its the cold ive heard it has to do with several things and none really made sense to me LOL

Offline Lookn4Fur

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2009, 07:13:13 PM »
I agree with the statement above for the most part.  I do believe most fur is not prime until around the time you turn your clocks back.
"Predators are either active & feeding, semi-active & callable, or utterly inactive & then practically speaking, no call is needed; we're just taking our guns for a walk. We can & should get used to it, & follow their leed cuz they just ain't eager nor apt to follow our’s any time soon!

Offline CoyoteJeff

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2009, 08:23:58 PM »
Not sure how much truth there is to this but I have heard that what makes fur prime up has more to do with how long the daylight is then if it gets cold or not. I also feel it has to do with the region a animal is from being if there from the northern part of the state just by generics they prime faster then ones from the southern part of the state . The amount of daylight is the same for each but it does get cold faster in the north then the south.
PPHA District 3