Author Topic: Morels confirmed April 20,2011  (Read 7773 times)

Offline Lookn4Fur

• PPHA Forum GURU
Re: Morels confirmed April 20,2011
« Reply #15 on: April 26, 2011, 02:20:13 PM »
If you cut them or break them off at the base I think they hold enough spores to reproduce again but then again I havn't seen evidence of that.  All the websites say you should carry them in a mesh bag to help spread the spores.  I don't, maybe thats why I can't find a lot of them? (haha)  Maybe we should roll them in the dirt after we cut them?   ;D
"Predators are either active & feeding, semi-active & callable, or utterly inactive & then practically speaking, no call is needed; we're just taking our guns for a walk. We can & should get used to it, & follow their leed cuz they just ain't eager nor apt to follow our’s any time soon!

Offline Leglifter

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #16 on: April 26, 2011, 03:21:14 PM »
I carry in a mesh shooters bag, or onion sack, the spores will start dropping as soon as its cut, if not before.
I have picked spots clean and came back a week later and found more, year after year

Offline coyotenightmare

• PPHA Members
  • Seasoned Forum Member
« Reply #17 on: April 26, 2011, 03:48:51 PM »
Thanks for the info...I am going to start carrying them in an onion sack and keep close tabs the next couple years between spots where I pick them all, and spots where I leave a couple.

uncle buck

« Reply #18 on: April 26, 2011, 07:07:57 PM »
Keep a log book and write in when you found your Morel's..or other mushrooms...Same with Chanterelle.  Also save it your GPS unit memory too... Same time same place next year they should be there...

For example:  I have a Chanterelle spot...I know that around 12 July I should start to find the Golden Chanterelles..The only thing that can change the time would be excessive drought!!!!

Offline Leglifter

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #19 on: April 26, 2011, 07:12:31 PM »
Keep us posted over the years!!
I do wonder how many generations of morels can come up around the same tree.
Some spots totally dried up last year and morels were totally non-existent but I did notice them coming up around
other trees that did not have them for years.
I heard the same circumstances from other shroomers

uncle buck

« Reply #20 on: April 26, 2011, 08:17:27 PM »
I don't know if this is true or not... Forest Fires... The first year there after there will be Morel's but not necessarily the 2nd or 3rd years there after.  There is a county or state web site that tell you where all the wild fires occurred in the state.  Agriculture agencies I think maintain them..  Also  foresty... if you could find info on there where most of the different types of trees grow in a certain area of the county. you could find all kind of shrooms...Old apple trees and stands of Tulip Poplar trees... Maybe if you could find narrative or a report that spells out that such and such Pa State Forrest have so many percents of this tree and that tree etc etc?  

I remember that the state is still looking for the person that burned on of the PGL in SCPA.  I often thought ...I hope it was not some crazed shroomer thinking they could come back and get all kinds of Morel's the next year... There are some people who just don't think...(Not All Men Are Created Equal) that would do something stupid like that!!!!!

« Last Edit: April 26, 2011, 08:18:51 PM by uncle buck »

Offline coyotenightmare

• PPHA Members
  • Seasoned Forum Member
« Reply #21 on: May 01, 2011, 06:31:03 PM »
Found 45 morels saturday while I was turkey hunting. Had them for breakfast this morning and they were absolutely wonderful! This may be about the end of them in my area.

Offline jeremybrua

• Seasoned Forum Member
  • i can can do it because i dont know that i cant.
« Reply #22 on: May 01, 2011, 06:34:40 PM »

found a small patch of about 10.  letting them go a few days before i pick.

uncle buck

« Reply #23 on: May 01, 2011, 09:21:33 PM »
Found 45 morels saturday while I was turkey hunting. Had them for breakfast this morning and they were absolutely wonderful! This may be about the end of them in my area.

Ah this may be about the end of them in my area trick so no one follows you on your next turkey hunt!!

When I depart my house I travel through 3 counties, zig and zag and then go to my shroom hunting hot spots.. ;D

Um Buckwheat was over to see me the other day.  He had me go down stairs to get a few tools while he waited outside by my vehicle...I wonder if he put one of those honing devices somewhere on my vehicle to locate where I travel too?? ;D
« Last Edit: May 01, 2011, 09:24:35 PM by uncle buck »

uncle buck

« Reply #24 on: May 01, 2011, 09:26:27 PM »
Jermybrua real nice picture of Morel's.. thanks for sharing that with us...

uncle buck

« Reply #25 on: May 01, 2011, 09:27:37 PM »

Congrats that is one heck of a find!!!!Keep up the good work!!!

Offline coyotenightmare

• PPHA Members
  • Seasoned Forum Member
« Reply #26 on: May 02, 2011, 01:15:30 PM »
Ah this may be about the end of them in my area trick so no one follows you on your next turkey hunt!!

Hey I would hate to give away my good mushroom spots. haha I figured someone would say that. Anyway, just about nailed a gobbler this morning and had to rush off to work or I would of found more morels. I have some beautiful pics of them on my phone if I could figure out how to load them on here. Guess I should just carry a camera and at least give away the pics of them. I do hope to find a few more. Check them out on ebay. They sure sell good on there...I eat all mine...

Offline SongDogSilencer

• Junior Forum Member
« Reply #27 on: May 02, 2011, 03:50:20 PM »
Every time i try to get out it rains. Found twenty 0ne last week on the only day I could get out after work.

Offline jeremybrua

• Seasoned Forum Member
  • i can can do it because i dont know that i cant.
« Reply #28 on: May 02, 2011, 09:28:43 PM »

found 16 today with a felow PPHA member. 

Offline Leglifter

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #29 on: May 02, 2011, 09:32:36 PM »
Cute kid Jer!!
Save some for that seafood stuffed recipe