Author Topic: PA. rules on posting property  (Read 33248 times)

Offline predator77

• PPHA Forum GURU
  • Ian
    • Facebook
Re: PA. rules on posting property
« Reply #15 on: January 25, 2009, 10:10:22 AM »
I've heard that too, but it's all hearsay.

I ask a state police officer once and he said there is no define way you have to post your property, incuding distance between signs.  If there is problems like that in your area, you may want to ask you district magistrate what is correct.

I know the land owners where I hunt and trap and don't know of them ever having a problem.   Guess we're lucky.

I agree with most of this but their would have to be a certain distance between signs. You couldn't post one on every side of your propery and expect a hunter to know it's posted or that he is entering another parcel of propery. In the Game lands their is a distinct line between ghame lands and neighboring properties.
FayetteNam

Offline foxpro51

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #16 on: January 25, 2009, 10:13:23 AM »
Predator 77 another example of lies. Property owner didn't post it and neither did gas company. Interesting.

Offline Leglifter

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #17 on: January 25, 2009, 10:22:53 AM »
They don't have to post it.
Its private property.
Is your yard posted?
Would you mind if someone had a party on your lawn?

Offline foxpro51

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #18 on: January 25, 2009, 11:24:01 AM »
My dig is not with private owners posting property. It's people who post property they do not own. I can show you property in Venango that is owned by timber companies and hunting is allowed. The locals post there 1 acre piece and also post 100 acres of timberland in front of 2000 acre plots. 

Offline TrappinJohn

• Seasoned Forum Member
« Reply #19 on: January 25, 2009, 11:49:05 AM »
I've heard that too, but it's all hearsay.

I ask a state police officer once and he said there is no define way you have to post your property, incuding distance between signs.  If there is problems like that in your area, you may want to ask you district magistrate what is correct.

I know the land owners where I hunt and trap and don't know of them ever having a problem.   Guess we're lucky.

I agree with most of this but their would have to be a certain distance between signs. You couldn't post one on every side of your propery and expect a hunter to know it's posted or that he is entering another parcel of propery. In the Game lands their is a distinct line between ghame lands and neighboring properties.

Yes I do I think you can expect a hunter to know it's private property and he should not be on it without permission, posted or not.

I see where your coming from, but the fact remains the same.  It's the hunters responsability to know where the lines are. 

Offline foxpro51

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #20 on: January 25, 2009, 11:58:27 AM »
Trappin john, Example i own 30 acres ajoining 750 acres of Timberland behind me.. I could landlock that 750 acres by posting my property. I won't do it.

Offline Leglifter

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #21 on: January 25, 2009, 12:14:59 PM »
I wouldn't go on your 30 acres unless I had your permission
even without signs.
I think thats how it should be

Offline Buckwheat

• PPHA Forum GURU
    • http://EWCALLS.com
« Reply #22 on: January 25, 2009, 01:19:37 PM »
I know there are people that post ground that does not belong to them just to keep other hunters off. You will always have cheaters, sneaks and thieves no matter what sport you take up.
For a brief moment I could hear nature through all the noise.

2008 PPHA State Predator Calling Champion
 Tri-X-Stand Rifle
Rests http://www.ewcalls.com/
Stand in the open, We will make you shine!

Offline foxpro51

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #23 on: January 25, 2009, 05:58:16 PM »
We were just out scounting today and saw two sign by Pennsylvania Game commission that said this property is open to hunting in cooperation. with the Pa. Game commission. Behind that sign was a posted sign with no signature or name. Futhermore, farmers who are paid deer damage should not post there property. Its our hunting license fees and taxes paying them.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2009, 06:00:33 PM by foxpro51 »

Offline CoyoteJeff

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #24 on: January 25, 2009, 06:11:00 PM »
Futhermore, farmers who are paid deer damage should not post there property. Its our hunting license fees and taxes paying them.
Foxpro51 I agree with you on this but i know a few farmers in my area that do get deer damage and have there land posted. The only reason it is posted is they want to know who is hunting on it not to keep anyone out. That way if something would happen to there equipment or what ever they know who all talk to about it.
PPHA District 3

Offline foxpro51

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #25 on: January 25, 2009, 07:20:55 PM »
Thanks CoyoteJeff, You understand

Offline swarter2

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #26 on: January 25, 2009, 10:20:31 PM »
We were just out scounting today and saw two sign by Pennsylvania Game commission that said this property is open to hunting in cooperation. with the Pa. Game commission. Behind that sign was a posted sign with no signature or name. Futhermore, farmers who are paid deer damage should not post there property. Its our hunting license fees and taxes paying them.
PGC posted the property.  That sign superceeds the land owners or whoever posted behind it.
David P Swarter
286 Parkview Drive
Souderton, Pa 18964
Cell (215)285-1820
e-mail - swarter32@verizon.net
District 2
Bees Obrien Game Calls Field Staff

Offline TrappinJohn

• Seasoned Forum Member
« Reply #27 on: January 25, 2009, 10:49:15 PM »
PGC posted the property.  That sign superceeds the land owners or whoever posted behind it.

I wouldn't count on that.  Who's to say someone put those PGC signs there illegally.  All the PGC sign in my area that state open to hunting also state ask for permission first.

The answer is still ask the landowner

Offline Lifes2fun

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #28 on: January 26, 2009, 12:03:59 AM »
I understand that it can be frustrating seeing no hunting signs behind a Co Op sign.
The PGC Co -Op sign is not a free for all sign to allow everyone the right to hunt the property.
Its a contract between the landowner and the PGC to allow some hunting.
Even if there are no signs at all except the Co Op signs...you must still ask permission.
If you look on the PGC website under hunting co op land....it will even tell you this portion.
As John and others said....even if there is no signs at all...someone owns that property...its still private property and we as sportsman should ALWAYS ask  permission first.
If a farmer NEVER allows anyone to hunt....then contact your local WCO and let them know, and they can take the proper measures for removing them from the Co-Op program
Also some of the farms listed in the Co-Op havent been in it for years, but the signs remain because the database hasnt been updated and the signs removed.

There is no posting regulations in Pa....but in order to prosecute for trespassing, it must appear evident that any logical person could tell they were trespassing and that the property is posted.
If I own land and have 10 posters on the road side, but the back side (which borders PGL) isnt posted and someone accidentally comes in off the Game lands....it would be difficult to prosecute them for trespass.
As for someone posting land which is not theirs....it doesnt matter if it is posted...if you have permission...hunt it.

If the timber company says you can hunt there....go ahead and do it, as there is no fear of being prosecuted for trespassing, when you have permission from the landowner.

Earl....the thing about being a stockholder has me though. (sounds like  you got away with that one, so you either had a good lawyer or a DJ and  LEO that didnt have a clue about what they were doing.)

That would be like me saying since I own PepsiCo stock I can walk into any Frito Lay, Pepsi building, or Yum stock restaurant and roam the back and they wouldnt be able to arrest me...because I own stock.
My father has PPL stock, but we couldnt go hunting down at Brunner Island? Or use the powerlines.
BTW my family owns property that has powerlines that run through it.....they own the property...the only thing the powerlines have are the ROW's to maintain the lines through the property...they dont have any right to keep people from hunting it (thats my uncles rights) But I am sure there may be different ROW leases, I'm definitely no lawyer.
THIS IS SPARTA!!

Offline foxpro51

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #29 on: January 26, 2009, 11:32:24 AM »
Yea, Posted property is really killing hunting for the young generaton. Hunting sport has dropped big time across the U.S. I also hate people who try to landlock public huniting areas.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2009, 11:36:36 AM by foxpro51 »