Author Topic: PA. rules on posting property  (Read 33246 times)

Offline foxpro51

• PPHA Forum GURU
PA. rules on posting property
« on: January 24, 2009, 02:59:42 PM »
Does anyone know the Pennsylvania rules or regulations on Posting property? The reason i ask is i know two piece of property that are now posted but is not owned or lease by the person who posted it. Not one of the signs are signed or date etc. I can't seem to find it on the Game commission web site. That's Bull. I also know a farmer who gets paid for deer damage but post his property against deer hunting. More bull. If these POSTED signs are to be signed and dated by PA> regulations and property is posted by a non-owner these people should be fined big time. Its hurting our sport.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2009, 03:16:58 PM by foxpro51 »

Offline TrappinJohn

• Seasoned Forum Member
Re: PA. rules on posting property
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2009, 03:23:44 PM »
Posting property and trespassing has nothing to do with the PGC.

I here this all the time.  Fact is, you are not allowed on private property without permission from the land owner or leasee regardless if it is posted or not.  So, what's the difference if the signs are signed?   Get permission from the owner and don't worry about it.

Offline foxpro51

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2009, 03:31:28 PM »
You are correct. I just talked to game commission and they won't do nothing if you hunt on posted land unless you break game law. Futhermore, Many property's are not owned or lease by people who post them. A county/boro/township map will tell you the legal owner and boundries. There has to be a law or regulation in Pa on Posting property if you really own it. Trappinjohn, Doesn't it upset you that people who don't own or lease property post it and have no right to do so. It's killing our sport. Do you really think the person who posted it who don't own the property is going to give you permission to hunt? What a joke.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2009, 03:49:52 PM by foxpro51 »

Offline TrappinJohn

• Seasoned Forum Member
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2009, 03:56:18 PM »
Yes, it would bother me if someone posted a property that they didn't own.   Does the land owner know someone did this?   If so, they must be giving them permission to do it.  Same as a free lease I guess.

As a land owner, I expect everyone to ask me before they step foot on my land, even though it's not posted.  They don't ask, they get thrown off and told not to come back.

If someone posted it without my permission, I would have them arrested.

Offline swarter2

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2009, 04:34:08 PM »
Here is what I know bout posting property.  Posting is done  for a number of reasons.  The first reason, is if someone trespasses on a posted property and they get hurt.  They have no legal right to go after the land owner, only in a perfect world.  Second, the signing and phone number on a posted sign is in case you need to track a wounded animal or an emergencie.  This is what I was told in 2007, when I was asked to post the property I hunt.  The land owner had his big NY attorney meet me before I posted. 
David P Swarter
286 Parkview Drive
Souderton, Pa 18964
Cell (215)285-1820
e-mail - swarter32@verizon.net
District 2
Bees Obrien Game Calls Field Staff

Offline predator77

• PPHA Forum GURU
  • Ian
    • Facebook
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2009, 05:25:48 PM »
 I heard all signs must have a signature on it to verify ownership as well as the address of landowner. I also know they have to be within a certain amount of feet from each other. However I don't know the exact amount. We have a problem with hunters throwing up signs without the owners knowledge to keep people out of their hunting spots. You can always guess where a big buck is sighted, cause the posted signs go up unsigned. I would think of a posted sign as almost a legal document placed by the legal owner/leaser of propery incase of liability lawsuits.
FayetteNam

Offline TrappinJohn

• Seasoned Forum Member
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2009, 05:53:10 PM »
I've heard that too, but it's all hearsay.

I ask a state police officer once and he said there is no define way you have to post your property, incuding distance between signs.  If there is problems like that in your area, you may want to ask you district magistrate what is correct.

I know the land owners where I hunt and trap and don't know of them ever having a problem.   Guess we're lucky.

Offline foxpro51

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2009, 06:07:12 PM »
Trappinjohn,  NICE SIGN. I would like to know if someone can be fined for posting property they don't own. I recently seen a public power line posted when i know thay don't own it. Public Easment and recorded.  You will be amazed by the amount of land owned by the boro, township, state, federal. IRS that is posted by private people.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2009, 06:14:17 PM by foxpro51 »

Offline Buckwheat

• PPHA Forum GURU
    • http://EWCALLS.com
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2009, 06:34:46 PM »
The utility company has purchased the right of way only for the power line from the owner. That does not make it public land.   
For a brief moment I could hear nature through all the noise.

2008 PPHA State Predator Calling Champion
 Tri-X-Stand Rifle
Rests http://www.ewcalls.com/
Stand in the open, We will make you shine!

BP

« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2009, 07:47:29 PM »

Fact is, you are not allowed on private property without permission from the land owner or leasee regardless if it is posted or not.  So, what's the difference if the signs are signed?   Get permission from the owner and don't worry about it.
That right there is all you need to know.  Them ugly signs don't mean a dang thing.
Buckwheat is correct about the ROW easements, whether it be power, gas, coal, etc.

Offline foxpro51

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2009, 07:53:35 PM »
BP, many power lines , gas lines were allways owned by them Not easements. I have such a property up in Venango. Both sides of power line is owned by my family but powerline going through my property is owned be electric company. Electric company said power line is huntable.

Offline Buckwheat

• PPHA Forum GURU
    • http://EWCALLS.com
« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2009, 09:45:39 PM »
I am sure there are power and gas line property owned by utilities, but I would not count on that everywhere you think you can go. I have a few here that you would get arrested on.
For a brief moment I could hear nature through all the noise.

2008 PPHA State Predator Calling Champion
 Tri-X-Stand Rifle
Rests http://www.ewcalls.com/
Stand in the open, We will make you shine!

Offline foxpro51

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2009, 10:34:31 PM »
Buckwheat, your probably right but some power companies are own by stock holders. I ran across that one time and was chellenged. Guess what, i was a stock holder and they lost. What i am saying there are far more illegal posted land than most people think. It really hurts the young people trying to get into hunting.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2009, 10:39:21 PM by foxpro51 »

BP

« Reply #13 on: January 25, 2009, 07:23:54 AM »
What is hurting the youth participation isn't a lack of loophole knowledge.  It is a lack of gaining legal permission, lack of adult participation, and lack of game.

Offline predator77

• PPHA Forum GURU
  • Ian
    • Facebook
« Reply #14 on: January 25, 2009, 10:07:44 AM »
Alot of signs went up when they started putting in these gas wells in Fayette,Greene and Westmorland counties. I had a landowner who lives above me say that the gas company told them nobody was allowed to hunt on their propery now. I called Atlas Inc.(Uniontown) and asked them and they laughed saying they have no say what the property owner does. There was so certain distance you have to be from them and they are safe as long as you don't shoot the well head. This is a little off the subject but this is another thing you might encounter in an attemp to gain permission to posted property. The PGC should post a statement from the gas companies stating that the gas companies are not responsable for posting the properties in which they have placed a well on.
FayetteNam