Author Topic: Nose  (Read 5445 times)

Offline jaspr1

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
Nose
« on: January 30, 2014, 05:42:31 AM »
The other day I had a perfect example of how well a coyotes nose works.. Back when trapping season started I saw where a trapper had a dirt hole set, in the corner of a field. During deer season I was back in this area and saw that it was gone....Two days ago I was in this area..snow covered and frozen...a coyote had meandered his way around the field and ended up at the empty set..some nose on him....I wonder what he put down that hole???

Offline Predator100x

• PPHA Members
  • Senior Forum Member
Re: Nose
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2014, 12:45:48 PM »
Was there a log or something there were he may have put some urine on?Or maybe he stole a piece of bait out of hole an remembered it.Something mixed with skunk is only thing I know that may last that long in dirt.I do know they have a tremendous sence of smell,right up there with there hearing.
Skin that one pilgrim and I'll fetch ya another!

Offline Leglifter

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2014, 12:55:46 PM »
I remember setting up a dirt hole for fox in november, lured with a carmen's lure.
This was in a river bed, pulled the trap for deer season, came back in march to set for beaver and saw that a coyote dug that hole out within a few days of me being there in march.
What a nose!!!

Offline Hern

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2014, 02:03:53 PM »
It's not uncommon for a Canine to visit an ole set. #1 their nose, #2 location (in their line of travel).
Over the years, after I pulled sets, I revisited some locations either in Deer season, calling or re-setting.
I found droppings or dug up hole. These sets were on location, not taking anything away from their nose because dug up sets had to have an odor for them to spend time digging.

I think it was the winter of '95-'96...Remember we had record snow fall? Barn roofs were caving in, store roofs fell, other buildings fell. What a winter!
I was winter trapping and gave in to snowfall after snowfall. It was hard work keeping sets working.
I pulled all sets but 1. The double set was on the wrong side of the fence row and was under a 6' snow drift.
This set was near our home and I drove past every day. In Mid-March, on a Friday, the snow pealed back to were I could retrieve my traps. Good, I thought, tomorrow I'll get my traps.
Saturday morning I drove up the field and saw a Red bouncing around. It can't be...It was. That trap was buried for 3 months, One night it was exposed and caught a male Red.
I tailed him, grab the back of his neck, stepped on the springs and released him unharmed. Watched that bleached out, yellowish Red trot away for hundreds of yards.
Did the snow pack keep the lure/bait fresh? I have no clue.

Offline Pa Goosehntr

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2014, 06:48:04 PM »
 ;) ;) A big thanx Hern for sharing your experience and knowledge  ;) ;) ;)
I Speak Fowl Language!!
SRWA Life Member
NRA Endowment Member
NAHC Life member
PPHA Member
PTA Member

Offline Leglifter

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2014, 07:14:59 PM »
+1
Awesome

Offline jaspr1

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2014, 06:37:52 AM »
Thanks for sharing Hern....would have loved to have seen the fox..he probably looked humiliated and ridiculous being tossed by the neck and tail... ;D ;D ;D...after listening to you tell him how much of a dumbass he was.... ;D ;D You should write a book!!! Seriously!!!!I would buy it.... 8)

Offline Predator100x

• PPHA Members
  • Senior Forum Member
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2014, 10:39:43 AM »
Thanks for sharing Hern....would have loved to have seen the fox..he probably looked humiliated and ridiculous being tossed by the neck and tail... ;D ;D ;D...after listening to you tell him how much of a dumbass he was.... ;D ;D You should write a book!!! Seriously!!!!I would buy it.... 8)

I agree! I always like readin Herns posts,very educational.100x

Offline Pa Goosehntr

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2014, 04:27:22 PM »
 ;) ;) ;) ;) Hern be the Trapping Guru for sure  :o :o :o :o
I Speak Fowl Language!!
SRWA Life Member
NRA Endowment Member
NAHC Life member
PPHA Member
PTA Member

Offline Hern

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2014, 06:36:30 AM »
Thank you folks, but you really gotta get out more.
And don't follow me, it's a roller coaster ride, mild success to rock bottom, up and down not the life for most.
You get in front awhile and break trail... :)

Offline Hern

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2014, 06:57:17 AM »
jaspr says-
...after listening to you tell him how much of a dumbass he was
Funny you said that. I do recall talking to that Fox. I congratulated him for surviving such a winter and I told him I will see him next season. I recall not talking down to this Fox, but had admiration for him.

tossed by the neck and tail...
I didn't toss this Fox.
I tucked him under my arm, walked around remaining snow drift, through the fencerow to open ground, placed him on the ground and off he went on a trot as I said, 'see you next season.'

I talked with that Fox but he didn't answer and he only looked wide-eyed at me.
He was bleach'n out and yellowish in color because that time of year fur looses color and primness.

Offline jaspr1

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2014, 10:30:43 AM »
I didn't mean it literally, I was just having fun with it.... ;).....We don't have to follow you anymore  ;D we just send up a drone... ::)     8)

Offline Predator100x

• PPHA Members
  • Senior Forum Member
« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2014, 04:16:04 PM »

Hern,didn't mean to be disrespectfully by no means,It's  just always good reading your posts,not to many trappers are willing to share the knowledge...100x

Offline Hern

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #13 on: February 04, 2014, 06:49:18 AM »
I like you guys. No problems and not trying to rub you the wrong way. I know you were fun'n.
Jaspr, you made me remember this Fox and How I wondered about it's nose, the lure, the bait and why this happened, at the time.
Not only that, but how I spoke a few words to him and how I released him. A faded memory.

Offline Hern

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #14 on: February 04, 2014, 07:08:19 AM »
Anyway, my first reply echoes LegLifter's first reply.

So why does a dirthole get worked weeks after you leave the location?
I think location has a lot to do with it. An empty hole will get a looksee, pee'd on, or dropping left there.
If there is still an odor Fox can smell, I feel some Fox will dig at the hole.
Amount of digging does have several degrees...by that, some Fox can smell better, some Fox like to dig and work, some Fox will return for 2-3 nights to dig, some Fox will pee and never work set again and so on.