Author Topic: Do you think bobcat's are dumb or a smart animal?  (Read 3551 times)

uncle buck

Do you think bobcat's are dumb or a smart animal?
« on: October 16, 2013, 10:45:52 PM »
I remember a well known predator hunter tell me that bobcat in fact were dumb... That scent hardly was a factor...That when calling you have to call long and constant because they lose interest if you stop calling. He said that they are not light shy! 

Could it be the main way to harvest a bobcat then is scouting.....If you find them then you might have a pretty good shot at getting one>

I have only called in two Pa Bobcats in my  28 years of calling....However that was in Pa Cumberland county farm belt and I guess that alone is an accomplishment...I called them both in using electronics and the cottontail distress was playing... They didn't run away and if there would have been a season back then on them in Pa they surely would have been dead...They did take awhile to creep in and they did act just like a common house cat coming to the rabbit distress call..   

I wanted to get a discussion to see  how you other Pa hunters feel that have encountered our Pa Bobcats.
One thing I notice their eyes were so large... About the size of half dollars!!!  I was using the red pop cover lights then and with the red lens pop covers their eyes were white like diamonds... Could be the new RED LED Powerful lights could also make their eyes red...
« Last Edit: October 16, 2013, 10:46:23 PM by uncle buck »

Offline Misterjake23

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
Re: Do you think bobcat's are dumb or a smart animal?
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2013, 03:34:21 AM »
I have never called in a bobcat, and very rarely see them in the wild.  I have a camp in N Clinton County where bobcats are reletively pleantyful.  However, in my 10 years up there, i have only actually seen 3 in the wild.  When I did see them, it was for only a very short glimpse, then they were gone.  Personally , i think they are smart animals.
Jake
York, PA
Bee's O'Brien Field Staff
If you heard my shot, Feel lucky...I wasn't aiming at you!

Offline Hern

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2013, 07:11:26 AM »
UB asks-
Could be the new RED LED Powerful lights could also make their eyes red...
UB, yes, the RED LED light I own (Carnivore 5) makes their eyes red.

I can't say a Bobcat is dumb or smart. But I know wild animal do have a wit about them to keep their hide.

Most folks can recall killing an animal that seem to be unaware what was happening, so they may think that critter to be dumb.
Some folks consider an animal smart because these folk don't go about it the right way. By that, they may lack experience, or miss a small detail.

Offline bigben

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2013, 09:12:57 AM »
They are easy to call if they are there. I have called in close to a dozen now all in pa some upstate some down home. Calling them and killing them is two different animals. Setup is very important in sealing the deal on a bobcat then sound. Jmo.
“If you want to know all about a man, go camping with him. Probably you think you know him already, but if you have never camped on the trail with him, you do not”. Eldred Nathaniel Woodcock. “Fifty Years a Hunter and Trapper.”

Offline Lookn4Fur

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2013, 11:00:46 AM »
I have only ever called two into my setup over the years and never got a shot at either of them.  I have trapped several though.  I don't think they are stupid but they do seem slightly easier to fool then a coyote.  Scouting and locating is the most important thing with cats that I see.  They are awesome creatures that is for sure.
"Predators are either active & feeding, semi-active & callable, or utterly inactive & then practically speaking, no call is needed; we're just taking our guns for a walk. We can & should get used to it, & follow their leed cuz they just ain't eager nor apt to follow our’s any time soon!