Author Topic: Coyote pressure...  (Read 13899 times)

Offline jaspr1

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
Re: Coyote pressure...
« Reply #45 on: August 30, 2013, 05:12:40 AM »
IMO...HAHAHA......the correlation between hunting,trapping, and even fishing cannot be dismissed here...what has worked for you with other pursuits will give you an edge here....Hern as pointed this out in the past.."Woodsmanship"...When placing a trap, you don't just put it out there, when placing yourself for calling you can't just sit anywhere...you can, but you will not be very successful. Location,scent dispersal,lay of the land all play in here...Scouting is essential like Ben has pointed out, I like to find someplace that has a few piles of fresh scat,at least you know he's taking a crap there...can't call something not there... ;D....if you are lucky enough to find a honey hole unmolested by others, good things are certainly in your favor...look at that beaver....but if your like UB and others around me, we have the infamous SGL170 and other heavily hunted areas...I have been out already and there are fresh boot prints where someone has just worked my "go to spot" for me, 10mins sooner I could have shook his hand...Primos.. :-\...love-hate... love sounds, especially for me "challenge" and "female invitation"..have had action with both..but sometimes caller will fail to operate at a crucial moment..not good...STORY 1..put out my JS tape caller w/fawn distress.. ( yes,the old man from the cave still uses his sometimes)...played for a minute VERY LOUD like something was grabbing it's.... ass...then came with a challenge bark from Pwr. Dogg (which was uphill about 50ft away) 3/4 vol., just enough to make about 2 barks..shut up...Coyote appeared within 5 mins came in from the side...in the brush.. :(.... and stood and looked and looked but would not commit further.. to thick to wade a bullet into him, and not a good id.... location was picked because daytime scouting showed he was dropping scat here on a regular basis and sure enough he was there but as you can see he used the lay of the land to negate "MY" big plan...lol...Story 2...Do you have a dog?? Have you ever played tug of war with him?? You know how they growl when pulling?? My brother taught himself how to mimic this sound with a mouth caller...I was sitting in the stinger position on a full moon night watching a grassfield..my brother was in hayfield next door up against a bale...he howls..I jump..then he starts that growling thing..good god, sounds awesome.. a coyote comes down the hill right by me..no shot, it is hauling the freight....went into fence row and about 75yds howled back 1 time...when we hooked up later I said thought you were going to shoot 1 there..he never saw it....my point being sometimes you have to think outside the box...We knew there was a mom and pups in this area as we heard group sing alongs during early evening scoutings and figured mom was responding to what she thought was Jr. having a problem... 8)... BTW.. wife got me a FOXPRO for this year,  my son got me an Eco-tech. They both said tired of hearing me complain about frozen wire...well guilty as charged...I sold my JS and then bought my brothers when he went FOXPRO...sometimes those old cassette players just have the sound they want to hear..it was the last sound a lot of foxes heard I know that...just occurred to me.. ::)..good back..6traps..4 callers...new rifle...zombie ammo...cave man action plan.. ;D coyotes are in for it now...HAHAHA
« Last Edit: August 30, 2013, 05:27:51 AM by jaspr1 »

Offline jaspr1

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #46 on: August 30, 2013, 10:06:14 AM »
I know I told that growling story already but it was an unusual sound that apparently plays with their mind.

uncle buck

« Reply #47 on: August 30, 2013, 01:04:03 PM »
Good info Jaspr!  "Plays With Their Mind!"   Why that's what I call Yank In  Chain!"
« Last Edit: August 30, 2013, 01:05:27 PM by uncle buck »