Author Topic: Coyote pressure...  (Read 13899 times)

Offline Hern

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
Re: Coyote pressure...
« Reply #30 on: August 28, 2013, 05:29:50 AM »
L4F thanks for the info/reply.

LL, What is Heisenberg's uncertainty principle? Still waiting for the answer. ::)

Offline Leglifter

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #31 on: August 28, 2013, 07:31:35 AM »
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Uncertainty_principle

Basically states that,
just the fact that an object is in an experiment, influences the outcome of that experiment.

If you've seen the teachers of the night video where the coyote works a dirt hole from the back,
That experiment, IMO, didn't show that coyotes usually work the backing side of a dirt hole, it showed that they don't want to turn their back on the camera that was filming them.

uncle buck

« Reply #32 on: August 28, 2013, 04:01:06 PM »
I'm one of those people when I describe something I use other things or subjects to make people think about it... I don't want to be like Obama but Lincoln did this and even Jesus when he was spreading his word. What I like to use when it comes to coyote hunting is the kid that goes into the pool hall and just shoots at the balls and has no strategy for the follow up shot.. So when it comes to coyote you just don't go out there and  call... I do hunt coyotes like the mammals we are... I think of things that effect the human mammal and I use them on coyotes and fox since you never know if if Wiley is around..

« Last Edit: August 28, 2013, 04:21:14 PM by uncle buck »

uncle buck

« Reply #33 on: August 28, 2013, 04:35:51 PM »
Now some hunters will say that any old coyote howl or sound or bark will call in all coyotes... It is IMO that our Pa Eastern Coyotes do use communications to talk to each other... I have tremendous luck with the cheap Randy Anderson Power Dogg electronic caller... Randy Say's the coyote vocals are a challenge, a female invitation howl, coyote pup distress, group howl, and the lone howl... Now I do have other electronic callers that have coyote vocal on but it just seems I do better with this $99.00 electronic caller for coyotes.. I know of others on here.. Dreamcatcher and Jaspr etc that have called in coyotes with the Primos Power Dogg electronics.. Gee I hope they remember that they called in coyotes with their Power Doggs etc.  So if Randy says it's a challenge it's a challenge and it seems to work for me... I do use it at the appropriate time too... I never do challenges right at the beginning of my sequence.. I do them at the  35 min mark...So here is the yanking chain concept I use... a human doing coyote talk either with a Primos Power Dogg and or an open reed call and I'm calling them in...I'm a mammal they are a mammal... I think of things that upset the human mammal and those same things that upset a human mammal will upset the coyote the mammal...Now IMO those old dog coyotes and some of those old big fox lasted that long out there because they have some smarts...So by yanking the appropriate strings you get them so upset they drop their guard and come in for a look see.. Now the coyote vocals are just the tip of the ice berg.. there is so much you do have to do to make the perfect set up...  I will even tell you where I'm the weakest... That is the shooting area... However thanks to Ernie Wilson shooting rest I have now over come that area... Also another bad area is again... Taking people who are not discipline....  I know Ernie will vouch for me on the one person I went hunting with him with.  Ernie had to correct because of his unsafe gun handling... This guy has missed from a shooting rest three coyotes that I have called in 50 yards for him... This year when he calls I just  can't take it or him hunting... I need to be shooting at those coyotes not someone who just doesn't have the ability and WHO is truly an unsafe hunter...  So to be an outstanding Eastern Coyote hunter you have to put all things together..  A plan... If someone in that plan doesn't do what they are suppose to do... It' over!!!  Also you do have  to be careful when you get out of your car... Even me... I was hunting with Buckwheat.. I placed the shooting rest up against the van and OH it slipped down with a big bang!!!!! Yep I wrecked that particular stand up for sure...There is one good thing with hunting with other people... When your traveling from point A to Point B you discuss failures on stand... My son last year made me see one heck of an important area of calling that I wasn't aware of... When he pointed it out I could see that wow was he right abut that certain area of calling.. Now I use that concept and truly more shots will be fired at coyotes this year then other years that's for sure..
« Last Edit: August 28, 2013, 04:46:39 PM by uncle buck »

Offline coyotejohn

• PPHA Members
  • Senior Forum Member
« Reply #34 on: August 28, 2013, 04:41:28 PM »

Over weight leads me to believe the critter had less pressure.
Your thoughts??

Hern, I believe your correct, less pressure, plus easy food source.  This guy went 37 pounds which is really big for our desert coyotes.  He was estimated to be a 2 year old, living close to the ranch house with no hunting pressure and fairly easy prey source.  I have killed some old ones, eight to ten years old that barely tipped the scales at twenty-five pounds.

“Fate whispers to the warrior, ‘You cannot withstand the storm.’ And the warrior whispers back, ‘I am the storm’.’”

Offline Leglifter

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #35 on: August 28, 2013, 04:52:25 PM »

Agreed
I took this old 72 pound male from a stretch of river that was very hard to access and had no trapping pressure at all

uncle buck

« Reply #36 on: August 28, 2013, 05:00:49 PM »
Our small mature first of year coyotes in Pa are  28 pounds... Now the Old Dogs they get up to 50+ from my experience...The ones I have harvested after Christmas in restraints are from  32 to  38 pounds...

Yes food does make critters fat....I'm talking about the critters that go up to the top of the hill and bark and bark and bark but know something is up below...Now thanks to people like Coyotejohn I learned this from him... You hit them with the Coyotepup distress when all else fails.. I do thank Coyotejohn for that valuable bit of guidance...

Yes food will make things fat....Maybe it's my fault for the debate... We assume that if a coyote is fat it's old.  However more than likely when a coyote does get up to be  50 pounds in Pa it sure knows how to hunt and get food and IMO it's probably from being around many a years from paying his or her dues....

I'm also a believer that many of the Pa coyotes are harder to bag in different areas of the state too..Wow you get a small farm and your shooting area drops down because of all the confined corrals barns, multiple  county roads, ranch houses , developments,  and the populations.. But places like this have the making of a big wise old coyote to survive.

Why the coyote that won the Mosquito Creek Hunt  was from the populated farm county of Cumberland this year!!!
« Last Edit: August 28, 2013, 05:22:44 PM by uncle buck »

uncle buck

« Reply #37 on: August 28, 2013, 05:04:14 PM »
Funny...again this IMO....apples and apples, oranges and oranges ... we are talking Pa Coyotes and not Western coyotes ... Beavers are not called in with a call.. LOL  You truly are using  the apples and oranges to drive a point...topic is coyote pressure not western coyote pressure nor is it beaver pressure..

« Last Edit: August 28, 2013, 05:20:39 PM by uncle buck »

Offline coyotejohn

• PPHA Members
  • Senior Forum Member
« Reply #38 on: August 28, 2013, 05:28:00 PM »
East, west, north or south pressure is pressure.
“Fate whispers to the warrior, ‘You cannot withstand the storm.’ And the warrior whispers back, ‘I am the storm’.’”

uncle buck

« Reply #39 on: August 28, 2013, 06:48:09 PM »
But again each region is different... some place you can hunt night and day.. Others day and only by the light of the moon, no lights... Some  you can't hunt at night at all..
Then there are populations! Some places  it's so populated that just by playing JS Dying Rabbit  cassette you will call them in... Some places pigs distress, some domestic cat distress... Now you take good ole Pa... I never called them in with Wild Pigs, or domestic cat sounds..

Offline coyotejohn

• PPHA Members
  • Senior Forum Member
« Reply #40 on: August 28, 2013, 07:05:10 PM »
The primary area I hunt is now open 24/7 as of two years ago.  Additionally the ADC guys are permitted aerial gunning, leg hold traps and snares.  We have two full time ADC guys working coyotes on a forty hour basis in our little cattle section, plus every cowboy working cows shoot at them whenever they see them, then throw in the recreational caller.  The mule deer foundation and antelope foundation also hire shooters to kill coyotes and mountain lion, I worked one year with both organizations and was required to put in a thirty hour work week or no pay.  I seriously doubt that your Pa coyotes see the same pressure.  You talk as if the Pa coyote is the Einstein of the coyote world.   Coyotes are coyotes, it like playing checkers, not chess.

Offline Hern

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #41 on: August 29, 2013, 07:55:55 AM »
My territory is rural. But in your area, CJ, rural may be less human populated with larger ranches and farms.
Can't agree with you more, A Coyote is A Coyote.

CoyoteJohn states-
I seriously doubt that your Pa coyotes see the same pressure.
That's tough to compare, but I will give you some insight on our local, Pa. Coyote...my area of state has a good population of humans that like to be in the outdoors, hunting, fishing, hiking, farming, trap'n, atv'n, snowmachine'n, trail ride'n , logging, boating, 'sang'n, mushroom'n and even hunting Rattlesnakes. Lots of folks all year long in timber and field. Plus Coyote hunting is opened all year long and every Farmer, Rabbit hunter, Deer hunter, Groundhog hunter or property owner will take a crack at a passing Coyote for sure.
My point, CJ, my Coyotes, in my area, see pressure.
Now is it the same pressure as Coyotes in your area? I have no clue and not about to debate the issue...lol.
From time to time, local folks will ask how many Coyote/Fox I killed this season, My standard rely is, "I only kill the dumb ones. But some years there are a lot of dumb ones."

Years back on another message board the east/west debate raged, I was a player, but quickly realized each pressured area (from different areas of the U.S.A.) is the same and different in a weird way and a Coyote reacts and adapts to that area. The Coyote, east or west, was playing the cards he was deal with. It wasn't the state the Coyote was living in, it was the pressure the Coyote was dealing with and reacting too. Hence, a Coyote is a Coyote.

Offline Hern

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #42 on: August 29, 2013, 08:10:30 AM »
LL, thanks for the meaning of the Heisenberg principle.
Wow! that's a huge Beaver, nice picture.

Offline Pa Goosehntr

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #43 on: August 29, 2013, 08:58:29 AM »
LL that is one huge beaver ;) way to go on that one, you saved the forest!! 8)
I Speak Fowl Language!!
SRWA Life Member
NRA Endowment Member
NAHC Life member
PPHA Member
PTA Member

Offline bigben

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #44 on: August 29, 2013, 02:13:58 PM »
Ii think the biggest issue with many in pa is population density and terrain. Not so much pressure. If they are there they typically come in a survey the situation. Just sometimes callers do not see the animal or he winds them. Depending on how the caller setup determines if he seen the animal. I know one thing is no coyote will always do this or that as i hear how some always say they swing downwind for example. I do know that if i heard a coyote howling or knew they were there , and i could get into position to call him in so that i could see him by using topography to his disadvantage it usually results in either dead coyotes or atleast a glimpse of em. Scouting is key in pa as well as time spent hunting animals. Look at the succesful coyote hunters and they always scout and hunt hard year round. Not just for a few weeks out of the year.
“If you want to know all about a man, go camping with him. Probably you think you know him already, but if you have never camped on the trail with him, you do not”. Eldred Nathaniel Woodcock. “Fifty Years a Hunter and Trapper.”