Author Topic: CSI---Fox  (Read 5195 times)

Offline jaspr1

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
CSI---Fox
« on: February 23, 2012, 11:46:05 AM »
   This fox was found last Sunday inside a small open sawmill on a local farm..Farmer told me there was not a mark on it. He kicked it off to the side and something was worrying it around a bit but nothing has eaten any part of it..Sort of isolated spot...meaning no hunting and close to houses. ??  I set up my trail cam. There are coyotes here,I would have thought they would tear it up some if they killed it... ??? UB got any thoughts?

Offline Leglifter

• PPHA Forum GURU
Re: CSI---Fox
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2012, 08:05:12 PM »
sometimes they (coyotes)just kill fox so they dont compete with them for food.
if you were to skin it, you'd possibly find trauma around the neck and head, or hind quarters from running it down. IMO

Offline Team Howler

• Junior Forum Member
    • Lycoming Fence Company LLC (Personal Business)
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2012, 10:41:12 PM »
I just learned something today! Thanks Leglifter
Hunt safely!
District 3
Matt Brown
Arsenal: Savage Model 12 22-250, Tikka T3 lite Stainless .233, Ruger model 77 mark II .243, Tikka T3 Lite Stainless 25/06
Tools
FoxPro Firestorm w/ Fox Jack, Kill Light 250 and 100, Various Hand Calls

uncle buck

« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2012, 01:16:55 AM »
How big was this fox?  Could be of natural causes...Old age!!!!I know felines will go to a secluded spot behind work benches when it's time to die... Maybe that why it went inside the shed to protect itself from predators. They  know they are not feeling well and on it's last leg..They will go to places to die and try to get out of their predator way!!!

Maybe it drank something in the shed too... I know that people kill coyotes by putting out pans of antifreeze.. Could have gotten into some chemicals...Maybe it ate rat poison that the farmer had out in the shed??????

Being that it was inside a building too....Who knows the thing might have climbed up high fell and hit it's head on let say the metal saw blade... maybe something gave out when they were trying to get at someting in the shed...They fell to their death....

My thinking is just where the fox carcass was found...Something happen inside that building... Natural cause, poison, a bad fall.  Maybe it was just bumped by a vehicle and it ran inside the shed because it was hurting and bleed internally????

« Last Edit: February 24, 2012, 01:54:14 AM by uncle buck »

Offline Leglifter

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2012, 07:54:12 AM »
I missed where the post said it was in a building

uncle buck

« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2012, 02:43:44 PM »
post deleted in this area.  I moved it to appropriate area.   
« Last Edit: February 24, 2012, 02:52:46 PM by uncle buck »

uncle buck

« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2012, 02:46:05 PM »
Looking at the fox picture again the red does look a bit emaciated???Could have died from a sickness and took refuge in the saw mill to protect itself from other predators.

Offline jaspr1

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2012, 06:59:47 AM »
This is an open air farm mill ...just has a roof to protect saw and rails...Fox was in good shape,my friend said it looked perfect,like it was sleeping there. I could see her teeth and I would have guessed she was only a year or two old, this picture was more than a week old..she was across rails back to the saw...I guess I should have put on a mask, gloves and done an autopsy!!!    :-\ :P

Offline Lookn4Fur

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2012, 08:40:51 AM »
Nice clip.
"Predators are either active & feeding, semi-active & callable, or utterly inactive & then practically speaking, no call is needed; we're just taking our guns for a walk. We can & should get used to it, & follow their leed cuz they just ain't eager nor apt to follow our’s any time soon!

Offline jeremybrua

• Seasoned Forum Member
  • i can can do it because i dont know that i cant.
« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2012, 08:39:00 AM »
it was the butler, in the library, with a candle stick.

Offline Cooper13

• PPHA Members
  • Junior Forum Member
  • Hern's Fire Hand
« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2012, 06:37:21 PM »
it was the butler, in the library, with a candle stick.
lmao!!!!

great video too..very informative
« Last Edit: May 17, 2012, 06:47:16 PM by Cooper13 »
J.Cooper
District 4, Camp Hill