Author Topic: WHY?  (Read 2666 times)

uncle buck

WHY?
« on: January 04, 2012, 10:17:28 PM »
I wonder why the Eastern coyote act different in many of the Pa counties when coming to the call...Some states the coyotes think they are out of range and start barking at the hunters when calling even in day light.. I have called in many a coyote now in Pa and the coyotes that I have called in never did that. Go to the end of the field and start barking at me at 300 yards just inside the field...

It's got to be the populations of where the coyotes are being hunted.. One wrong move in some of the Pa counties it's over... They are probably educated to human activity and they know they best high tail it..

67 counties of Pa:  Do you think that our Pa coyotes in some of the remote counties or certain areas act different then in our populated county areas?

Offline RyanX

• Junior Forum Member
Re: WHY?
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2012, 08:57:32 PM »
Uncle Buck I agree with you when you say they prefer to High tail it instead of staying. But a coyote is a coyote I don't think they are that different from other parts of the state or the country. The coyotes we have today are from the western population. Where they were hunted and shot at every time they saw a human. They then moved East where some interbreeding with wolves happened. Where the wolves have been hunted and persecuted also and pushed into very remote areas. When the coyotes got here in PA in the late 50s early 60s they found more populated areas with plenty of food. Not until recently they have been pretty much left alone. A normal coyote is a very paranoid animal which is spooky of everything that is out of place. They breed with wolves which made them even more paranoid. Then these animals came into a higher populated area with smaller areas to hide they became very spooky. Today I personally don't believe the coyotes we have don't "fear" human scent, but have a deep respect for it. These animals have a uncanny ability to determined if a human is a threat to them. I have had coyotes walk within 150 yards of me in broad daylight in a middle of big field, and I was with my dad and brother-in-law talking not trying to be quite the ONE day out of the summer I didn't have a gun.   

Offline foxtrot

• PPHA Forum GURU
Re: WHY?
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2012, 10:04:14 PM »
It seems when our coyotes are in the hunting mode such as when coming to a call they are deep thinkers,constantly thinking how to put this situation in their favor and many times they do.But then there are times that they are a bit to confident and let their guard down.An example of this happened this weekend.A neighbor of mine that I infected with the predator bug went out hunting and as he entered the field he was going to hunt he saw eyes looking at him.Before he could make a sound the coyote came running towards him for some strange reason and was taken at about 40 yards.I feel if he would of made a sound to attract him it probably would have turned out differently.