Author Topic: Deer do fear our Eastern Coyotes  (Read 2615 times)

uncle buck

Deer do fear our Eastern Coyotes
« on: December 04, 2010, 11:55:01 PM »
This is the 4TH time I experienced this...Deer know when the coyotes are in the immediate area... So the deer will hug close to the main roads and parking area... Instead of venturing deep into the interior where the coyotes are howling and yipping..Today  coyotes were howling,  yipping, and barking as deer hunters walked deep into the woods.. Notice a massive large racked buck along the road feeding as I drove to a public hunting area...It was not in public hunting areas but close to it...Legal shooting starts...All those hunters that posted by their vehicles in the parking lot got all the shooting today...Me I walked in deep, wish I did not...I did not see one deer.. However did see a lot of hunter walking a main trail in...However also did not see the coyotes but did hear them prior to the start of legal shooting hours..

Watch for this later on...If yo see many deer or deer hugging the main roads..Your probably going to call coyotes or hear coyote activity on your predator calling stands.. I know if I was prey and knew my main animal was deeper into the woods.. I sure would not venture there either...
Wish I would have turned around and hunted right by my vehicle this morning...

Again always watch of other animal behavior when going from point A to Point B..Even driving in your vehicle along our main county and roads..

Offline Hern

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
Re: Deer do fear our Eastern Coyotes
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2010, 05:40:17 AM »
UB, 25 years ago or so, a friend said there are Reds hanging around his work next to the parking lot.
At this time, I was having trouble finding/trapping Reds in that township. I figured Coyotes ate 'em up or scared them away.
I set traps next to the parking lot and BINGO, I found the Red Fox.
This became the norm for a few years before I realized the Coyotes were pushing the Reds out and Reds were setting up house keeping close to towns and industral parks.
Now-a-days, things seem to balanced out somewhat, but not totally in my area. It's not uncommon for me to catch Reds, Coyotes, Reds then Coyotes in the same location. Am still looking for Reds/Coyotes to tell me what's happening at these locations. Am spectulating it's Coyote territory (since I am catching pups & adults) but good travel location to also catch dispersing Red Fox.

uncle buck

Re: Deer do fear our Eastern Coyotes
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2010, 06:16:35 PM »
Neat Hern...see the small predator critters and all prey animals  acting different is an indicator that the bigger predators are near by or now on a certain property.....