Author Topic: How to use a light  (Read 3751 times)

Offline swarter2

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
How to use a light
« on: August 07, 2010, 04:57:25 PM »
Came across this guy on youtube.  I know I've seen this before but I think it is helpful info.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A0joMHaPqGo
David P Swarter
286 Parkview Drive
Souderton, Pa 18964
Cell (215)285-1820
e-mail - swarter32@verizon.net
District 2
Bees Obrien Game Calls Field Staff

Offline vmaster59

• Junior Forum Member
  • Coyote One Production
    • West Tx. Varmint Hunting
Re: How to use a light
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2010, 03:21:49 AM »
Here's a clip for WTVH Vol.1. This is the way we do use it.

Clint

-----------------CLICK HERE-----------------

Offline Whitefeather

• Junior Forum Member
  • I am NOT the Whitefeather on HuntingPA.com!!
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2010, 08:54:27 AM »
Figured I would post on this topic because it refers to night lights.  As I had mentioned in another post, I purchased a 1M Stanley spotlight at Wallmart for about $17. on Tues.  Along with my Promos 100yd light I called in two coyotes that night.  I had placed red transparent tape, used for putting over a broken taillight, over the Stanley spotlight.  The tape filtered the light too much.  Would only illuminate out to about 30 yards.  Without the tape you could light up the inside of a tree line at at least 200 yards.
The next day, I removed all the tape from the spotlight and cut out a circle from the red transparent material from an EXIT sign.  That night was very dark, and I went out back in the yard and tried the spotlight.  Again, the material filtering the light way to much.  I removed the material and simply took a red Sharpie, and colored the entire clear lens.  I waited for it to dry and went out and tried it.  From my house to the tree line is 65yards.  Using the spot with the red Sharpie lens, I am able to illuminate a RED beam well into the tree line.
This is promising!!  I was tempted to do the same to the Promos rifle light, for that has a lens like a taillight which only illuminates EYES, at maybe 80 yards???  The other night I could spot the coyotes eyes through my scope at about 110yards, but barely, and as soon as it turned it's head I couldn't see anything.
I plan to go out this evening to call with my nephew.  I am going to place the Stanley spot on a broom handle as suggested by others on these forums.  With someone holding the spot, I believe you could easily make out the entire body of a varmint at 100 + yards.  I will let you folks know, how I made out.
Chris Deckard  District 2

uncle buck

« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2010, 09:40:28 AM »
You might be better to use the shotgun and post somewhere down wind where the coyotes are showing themselves. Have the Powerdogg up wind. They come in and they are going to the Powerdogg and as they pass your crosswind position you shoot them..

If you want to illuminate the entire targeted animal and your cousin is hunting with you...Tell him when the predator appears to shoot that white spot light up over the horizon, then drop the beam ever so slowly down until just the bottom of the beam lights up the predator and then you take the rifle shot.. Might be OK to leave the Sharpie red ink on it if it does illuminate well enough to light up the entire animal..You ALL will need red lens on your head or on a broom handle  also your cousin included so you can see the eyes coming in and of course to act as a shield to buy you some time..

Offline Whitefeather

• Junior Forum Member
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2010, 09:47:22 AM »
Thanks UB.  All my lights are red.  I am possibly going to be able to borrow a shotgun from my father n law...he just called back..only has double barrel, not rifled for slugs.  Anyway, I removed the red lens from the rifle scope and red Sharpied that too which makes it brighter than the red lens that comes with it.  I think I'll be in good shape.  Both lights are bright with the red Sharpie out pretty far.  Any local hunters want to go out tonight and call??

Offline Whitefeather

• Junior Forum Member
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2010, 05:02:27 PM »
Who wants to go coyote hunting tomorrow night with me in Carbon County?  My nephew keeps procrastinating and pissing off his mother so he cant go.

Offline scott

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2010, 07:13:43 PM »
with the shotgun you do not want to use rifle slugs, buy a box of 4 buck shot, they come in a box of 5 and are around 5 bucks for the rems.

uncle buck

« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2010, 08:41:08 PM »
I visited Basspro today..Camping Department has a red and yellow lens combo pack for $4.00. you get both for that price for spot lights.  Kind of spot lights that people use to spot deer...