Author Topic: leaky muellers?  (Read 2769 times)

Offline bigben

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
leaky muellers?
« on: February 15, 2011, 10:47:03 AM »
I have been looking at getting a mueller next fur season for another gun I have but I learned a good bit with this thread.  any thoughts or opinions?

http://www.predatormastersforums.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1821264#Post1821264
“If you want to know all about a man, go camping with him. Probably you think you know him already, but if you have never camped on the trail with him, you do not”. Eldred Nathaniel Woodcock. “Fifty Years a Hunter and Trapper.”

Offline scott

• PPHA Forum GURU
Re: leaky muellers?
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2011, 12:56:55 PM »
Man that was a long read, but a very good one.  I have also heard that if you dent or scratch a scope during installation that they will void your warranty but a post in there say differently. 

that whole post makes me look at Mueller in a different light.  I take fully waterproof as not taking water under any circumstance.  we have 2 Muellers in the house and hadn't had a problem with either of them, but again they weren't dipped.   When i get my next predator gun i think i will try Burris, i know i will pay more but sounds like it will be money well spent in the long run. 

uncle buck

« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2011, 06:55:39 PM »
I was told by a dealer that if a Muller is scratched or nicked they void the warranty.. So that is true.. Didn't read the post but in short what are they saying that they leak?  I have 4 Mullers and have no problems... One of the AO's I have on a 308Win and it shoots great!!!

I suyppose with the use of the Red 250 Kill light you don't even need an illuminated recticle????

Offline scott

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2011, 07:03:10 PM »
they were saying that when the dipped them in water for 5 seconds to have the cammo'd the it leaked.  mueller voided the guys warranty.  i understand what mueller is saying and i never dipped a scope but i don't understand how it can be fogproof it is not waterproof. 

uncle buck

« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2011, 07:22:33 PM »
I too can understand too why Muller does not honor it.. Who knows what the guy really did to make the camo adhere??  Something like this should be done by the MFG.. See now that you can use the 250 kill Light that Nikon Coyote Model scope is looking nice too...you can get those already camo'd.

Offline bigben

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2011, 09:09:33 PM »
There is more to the thread then a guy got his scope dipped and it leaked.  It also talks about the ratings that these scope manufactures use to rate a scopes "water proofness"  Waterproof to me means that it can be dunked under water at a realistic depth and still work.  muellers are not rated to be submerged at all. mainly it is a fyi to do some research before you buy and "fully waterproof" might not mean exactly waterproof.  I believe I am gonna buy a vortex at this point after seeing their no questions asked warrenty and also looking through them at the show this past week.  The trijicons are nice but man the $ involved to get one is out of my grasp.  I do know many on here had muellers so it was also a heads up to those users as well.   ;)
“If you want to know all about a man, go camping with him. Probably you think you know him already, but if you have never camped on the trail with him, you do not”. Eldred Nathaniel Woodcock. “Fifty Years a Hunter and Trapper.”

uncle buck

« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2011, 10:18:00 PM »
I'd guess I'd be in trouble then if I hunted Great White Sharks with a Muller.. Could be then if you take a dip fall into a stream or your gun falls out of the boat with a Muller it could render it useless...However many of the other cheap scopes same thing can happen too..
Notice in Outdoor Life::   Feb issue:  they commented on what they felt were the Top optics  Nikon Coyote Special was one of them..  The Vortex Viper was another..Leupold VX11-C 3X - 9X 50 MM for bobcat,  Nikon Buckmaster 3 X - 9X 40 MM, author referred to it as "THE WORKINGMANS Swarovski"!!!!!!

"250 Red Kill Light! Say Again the  250 Red Kill Light!"  "That be the question? If the predator is illuminated then you probably are not going to need an illuminated recticle???????

Many of my Encore barrels have Basspro Red Head Scopes.. One of which is illuminated and on a 17 Rem 700 BDL.. They have been on those barrels since 2005..    5 + years now... I even have a Basspro Red Head on a wolf  209 Magnum 50 Cal inline. All of the Red Heads still shoot outstanding... Heard tell from friends that were Basspro Associates that Red Head scopes were made by Simmons..  
« Last Edit: February 15, 2011, 10:19:23 PM by uncle buck »

Offline bigben

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2011, 09:39:37 AM »
I am not looking at taking a swim with my gun either UB but I want the scope to hold up if I would take a fall in water.  will it ever happen?  prob not in my lifetime but if a scope advertises waterproof it darn well better be waterproof.  at least in my eyes. 

Offline foxtrot

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2011, 09:45:43 PM »
Bigben, A friend of mine got a new vortex and had issues from the start.They did give him a new one though after some grumbling from the dealer.Trijicon scopes are a little salty but if you can scrape up the funds they are an excellent scope.