Author Topic: My New Pup  (Read 5638 times)

Offline keystoneman 85

• Seasoned Forum Member
My New Pup
« on: January 20, 2009, 04:33:01 PM »
Well guys I just got back from WV (more like Kentucky) it was a 15 hour round trip but we came home with "Dixie" a Black Mouth Cur.  She sure is a cutie & estimated at 3 months old.  The entire ride home she didn't bark once and sat on my lap the whole way - very content.

Once we got her home you could tell she loved being here - socialization went well and shes 4-6 on the bathroom trips only 2 mis haps.  She did notice my deer head on the wall and sat and stared at it for about 10 minutes.

Last night however was interesting, we decided we are going to crate train her and when we put her in the crate she is fine, if we close the gate on the front of the crate she barks like mad and won't stop crying.  We tried this off an on last night - the only way we could get her to go to sleep in the crate was to keep the gate open and have myself position my head at the front of the door (to keep her in, and let me know if she was getting up to wonder around).  On top the the crate we also had my shirt I wore for the whole trip and a watch to try and calm her.

Any ideas?

We are taking her to the vet in two weeks to finish up some shots and general general check up?

She really is a great dog already and I'm glad we could rescue her.

p.s. - I doubt she knew her mother for very long.

« Last Edit: January 20, 2009, 04:34:56 PM by keystoneman 85 »
Sore Lip 'Em All -- Catch & Release

Offline Lifes2fun

• PPHA Forum GURU
Re: My New Pup
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2009, 04:37:29 PM »
Eric cute pup   ;D

THIS IS SPARTA!!

Offline keystoneman 85

• Seasoned Forum Member
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2009, 04:41:48 PM »
Thanks boss - gota figure out what shes gonna hunt!
Sore Lip 'Em All -- Catch & Release

Offline Lifes2fun

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2009, 04:46:49 PM »
I dont know much about Cur's....are they usually coon dogs?

Let me know if youre gonna run her.....I'll tag along for company if ya want.

Had my brothers English Springer on pheasants .....boy is it nice when its natural and they WANT to do it. She loves to hunt
Our friend had a pup from the same litter as my brothers and I told him to crate that thing and make it a house dog....it ran right over the Chukkar about 4 times and never flinched.

I'm used to Labs  myself...lol
« Last Edit: January 20, 2009, 04:50:22 PM by Lifes2fun »
THIS IS SPARTA!!

Offline bigben

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2009, 05:51:10 PM »
they run curs for everything I think.  coons and coyotes mainly.  I can refer you to a good fella that raises and sells curs that are champs.  go over to predatormasters or finsnfur and find bopeye.  his name is james holbrook.  he is a good fellow.  tell him bigben sent ya.
“If you want to know all about a man, go camping with him. Probably you think you know him already, but if you have never camped on the trail with him, you do not”. Eldred Nathaniel Woodcock. “Fifty Years a Hunter and Trapper.”

Offline swarter2

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2009, 07:33:34 PM »
Cute pup!!!  My eldest daughter saw the pic and she now wants one.  For now try putting a sheet or blanket over the cage.  That may help to calm her down.
David P Swarter
286 Parkview Drive
Souderton, Pa 18964
Cell (215)285-1820
e-mail - swarter32@verizon.net
District 2
Bees Obrien Game Calls Field Staff

Offline Gimmieabeer

« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2009, 08:15:03 PM »
wrap a wind up alarm clock in a shirt with ur scent on it and put it the crate with her at night, should calm her down.  Make sure the clock is wound up each night.

Offline Leglifter

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2009, 08:42:06 PM »
wrap a wind up alarm clock in a shirt with ur scent on it and put it the crate with her at night, should calm her down.  Make sure the clock is wound up each night.
That does work
Its supposed to immetate the mothers heartbeat

Offline Gimmieabeer

« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2009, 08:45:49 PM »
I did that with my brittany and german shorthair, they were like completely different pups at night when they were in their crates.

Offline Leglifter

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2009, 08:47:23 PM »
I did it with my beagles and labs
calms them right down

Offline Gimmieabeer

« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2009, 08:57:36 PM »
hey leglifter, how many beagles do  you have?  When I was younger, we used to raise beagles.  The most we had at one time was 5.  We don't raise them anymore, I miss them lil buggers.

Offline Leglifter

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2009, 08:59:32 PM »
I'm down to two
had to put one down last year.
I love to watch them work

Offline Gimmieabeer

« Reply #12 on: January 20, 2009, 09:07:09 PM »
there is nothing like listening to the beagles tongue their ways when they are running bunnies

Offline swarter2

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #13 on: January 21, 2009, 06:11:52 AM »
My wifes uncle runs Beagles.  His oldest one is a champ in the unlimited class.  His pup, from what he says, has alot of potential but is dumb as a rabbit.  The pup was jumped/attacked by yotes last spring and that is what got me into predator hunting. Photo's in photo section.

http://ppha.us/smf/index.php?topic=1787.0
David P Swarter
286 Parkview Drive
Souderton, Pa 18964
Cell (215)285-1820
e-mail - swarter32@verizon.net
District 2
Bees Obrien Game Calls Field Staff

Offline scott

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #14 on: January 21, 2009, 08:08:18 AM »
barking in a crate is not acceptable in my household.  you need to take control right now.  as soon as the pup starts barking, you open the crate put your hand over its muzzle, squeeze lightly and say "STOP THAT NOISE"  while shaking its head lightly.  it is going to depend on the dogs personality on how long it is going to take.  my yellow, i had to do it 2 times and he got the hint,  my black it took 2 nights.  but every time it barks you need to do it.  also a good time to when you put them in the kennel say "KENNEL" and put them in.