Author Topic: The 17 WSMRF is it going to become obsolete?  (Read 5087 times)

uncle buck

The 17 WSMRF is it going to become obsolete?
« on: November 15, 2015, 10:07:01 PM »
So many people are having accuracy problems with the BMAG 17 WSMRF.  I'm one of them.  My 17 Encore barrel wow what a shooter that is.. However I know of people who have the  17 WSMRF barrels and they are shooters too.. What a shame for a cal like the  17 WSM to fall by the road side because of a gun company not making an accurate one..  I wouldn't mind buying the Encore barrel in the 17 WSMRF.  However I worry because it a rimfire would I have a problem getting ammo in the near future... Actually I don't shoot my predator guns for target practice.. So if I took the  17 WSMRF BMAG out the odds are  the first  3-4 shoots will be accurate...Could be when the barrel heats up too...BUT like I said why use the 17 WSMRF when I have a tack driving  17 Hornet that you can reload the brass.

Does anyone own another mfg gun that their  17 WSMRF is shooting well in.. One other than the BMAG and of course the special order Encore barrel..

Offline Huntin 4 yotes

• PPHA officers.
  • PPHA Forum GURU
Re: The 17 WSMRF is it going to become obsolete?
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2015, 10:58:56 PM »
After dumping another $110 in it for a Boyds stock the b mag shot ok at 100 yds but still wasn't  acceptable or reliable to hunt with.  The big difference was when I started shooting Hornady ammo out of it and 3 shot groups are in a golf ball size circle now at 100 yds.

Offline 32-20

• PPHA officers.
  • Junior Forum Member
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2015, 09:05:43 PM »
I know where your coming from. Having  jumped on the band wagon myself only to be disappointed. After contacting Savage and a few trials and errors I ended up paying for an upgrade to the heavy barrel and glad I did. After a few sessions at the range and some of the new ammo this gun warranted an up grade to a better stock that would not flex.
Went with a Boyds stock also now the gun looks as good as it shoots.
I have been lucky enough to field test it on a red fox and it worked flawlessly.
It would be a shame to see the 17wsm fail It's just the best round out there for those of use who are hunting in a rimfire regulated area.

Offline Huntin 4 yotes

• PPHA officers.
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2015, 09:40:54 PM »
I bought that gun to hunt rimfire only county also.  Just a shame savage put that kind of stock on it.  I'd of rather paid more money up front for everything right then have to change stocks, order different ammo, ect. .

uncle buck

« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2015, 11:12:00 PM »
How much does a Boyd stock cost and where do you get them?  From BOYD? :)

uncle buck

« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2015, 11:37:58 PM »
I s this one of the Boyds stocks that will fit the  17 WSMRF?  $129.00..  http://www.boydsgunstocks.com/FindAStock?Make=43&Model=A58&Action=4D&Shape=1A

uncle buck

« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2015, 11:41:36 PM »
The people that did change out to the Boyds.   Did you have to do any adjusting on your Boyds stock to make   17 WSMRF action fit?
« Last Edit: November 17, 2015, 11:42:25 PM by uncle buck »

Offline Huntin 4 yotes

• PPHA officers.
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2015, 07:54:59 AM »
Uncle buck, that is them and looks like price went up, I have the pepper one. I ordered mine directly from Boyds, 3 days and at your door if in stock.  The action and barrel fit right in and bolt up but I did have to file a bit off of it for the safety to slide properly and a little so the magazine clip locked in place. I did hear there is a recall on certain serial numbered ones for some part on the bolt assembly, I'm calling today to see about mine.

Offline nepahunter17

• Junior Forum Member
« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2015, 08:35:45 AM »
I bedded the first 4 inches of my barrel then tne rest of the barrel is free
Floating .now shooting3/4 @100 with 25 vrain win ammo
Due to price increase in ammo,,,,,,,,,,,,,there will be no warning shots

Offline foxtrot

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2015, 05:26:02 PM »
I was pretty excited about the caliber when it was first introduced but Savages attempt was a disgrace.Many consumers wasted there hard earned money on the B mag only to realize they bought a lemon.The only way it might survive is if another manufacturer jumps in soon and produces something respectable but I think the caliber is already tarnished .Shame on Savage!!

Offline Huntin 4 yotes

• PPHA officers.
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #10 on: November 18, 2015, 07:39:48 PM »
+1 Shame on Savage!

uncle buck

« Reply #11 on: December 06, 2015, 01:24:44 AM »
Savage putting out a rifle like that could make the 17 WSMRF fall by the way side.....I saw on the other web site that people use gaskets where the forearm and barrel meet.. Makes sense to do that.. Looks like they wanted to make a rifle that everyone would buy...Cost was cheap but not of a good quality stock or bedding. The shame of it all the ammo is truly good for predator hunting if you use the right gun and or play around with the BMAG A bit..

I'm not a person who shoots my predator guns for target practice... So I do plan on using the 17 WSMRF for chucks and predators... I do like the idea that Wallyworld sells the Federal ammo for $13.+ 00 cents a box and the Win ammo for $14.77 a box.. It won't be the BMAG gun... To date I have 1250 rounds of 17 WSMRF ammo...
« Last Edit: December 06, 2015, 01:27:55 AM by uncle buck »

uncle buck

« Reply #12 on: January 05, 2016, 08:42:58 PM »
I now own a MGM 17 WSMRF Encore barrel...going to get around to shooting it in after i'm done trapping a bit...