Author Topic: Want to give it a try  (Read 2693 times)

Offline seanthefreak

• PPHA Members
Want to give it a try
« on: January 26, 2011, 09:02:29 PM »
I live in a borough near pittsburgh.  I hunt deer but have always wanted to get involved with predator hunting.  I bought a randy anderson howler and ki yi.  I have called at night driving around fox chapel and had a coyote answer.  I dont really know how to get started.  I have a .270 and 12 ga.  i dont know where to hunt.  Dont really have the camo for it or anything.  I need some basic info.  I think its about breeding season now, so is there anywhere around pittsburgh to hunt?  any new guy tips would be great.  thanks everyone, happy hunting

uncle buck

Re: Want to give it a try
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2011, 01:43:09 AM »
Don't over call...Long gaps of Silence  are what gets them to come in... You could just call them by howling a few times and then remaining silent.  they have to be there.. So many people go out into the wild and call and nothing comes in.. if they are there and howling  I'd try that.. It's simple just do what they call Interrogation Howls....AKA Simple two howls..I know people that have killed coyotes within minutes of just doing the howls like this with mouth calls or electronics.. if you know how to do the KIYI you can do that too after a period of silence.. Just jump back and forth to those two coyote vocalization can bring them in...Good luck let us know how you do?  Welcome to the site...Glad you joined us..

Offline seanthefreak

• PPHA Members
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2011, 04:06:45 PM »
Well the area i was calling in was just full of houses, just was driving with a buddy messing around and was like " hey lets call here, and one answered back, i was sitting in my friends yard with the ki yi on the mouse squeeker and called 2 red fox in too, but you cant hunt where they are.  not alot of open area around pgh.  What areas around the city would you recommend

uncle buck

« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2011, 01:48:51 PM »
I'd get me a crossbow!!!!

uncle buck

« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2011, 02:04:20 PM »
If you could find places open for hunting along any of the three rivers.. Predators and prey all need water.. They are always abundant along rivers.. I would take a ride and go check towns out on the outskirts.  Are there any state parks open to hunting along any of the great Pittsburgh rivers????My daughter use to live in Pittsburgh we always go to places on the outskirts..20 miles out and there were a lot of fields and things.. You might need to knock on the farmers doors and ask.. I kill predators on farms that only have about 1 acre of shooting space...  Of course this is shotgun areas for sure..

Offline ozadug9

« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2011, 08:29:08 PM »
what boro do live in....if it is fox chapel i would say go to your county 911 center and get a map of you county and it will list the state game lands or you can go to the game commissions web site too for the info....if you live near the airport then the game lands near raccoon state park also or my favorite thing is to get permission from a couple of farmers to hunt their property for ground hogs and then see if they minded if hunt coyotes and other fur bearers after deer seasons for the most part a farmer will at least let you hunt ground hogs during the summer and coyotes too...so check out some of your local farms.....

Offline bloodhound

• Junior Forum Member
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2011, 07:00:33 AM »
I just killed my 3rd yote around the Burgh... Send me a PM and we can hook up for a hunt... I live 20minutes north of downtown... 

Offline Lookn4Fur

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2011, 06:01:25 PM »
Thats very nice of you Bloodhound.
"Predators are either active & feeding, semi-active & callable, or utterly inactive & then practically speaking, no call is needed; we're just taking our guns for a walk. We can & should get used to it, & follow their leed cuz they just ain't eager nor apt to follow our’s any time soon!

Offline seanthefreak

• PPHA Members
« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2011, 06:47:11 PM »
Yea thats really nice of you.  I want to get a coyote and a fox.  trapping seems good too, and learning how to skin and stretch things. 

Offline bloodhound

• Junior Forum Member
« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2011, 03:56:17 PM »
I sent you a private message   did you get it???

Offline zekedogg

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2011, 06:48:49 PM »
Jeff, let me know when you and Sean go out. If my knee is feeling any better I'll hook up with you guys.
Rick Comport

Pennsylvania Predator Hunters Association

Offline seanthefreak

• PPHA Members
« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2011, 07:23:39 PM »
Yea i got it but no days off for a little while, whens the best time to go?

Offline bloodhound

• Junior Forum Member
« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2011, 07:29:59 PM »
We hunt at day or night...

Rick   nurse that knee back 100%   I am itchin to put another dog down... Your #1 shooter till next kill...