Author Topic: I'm so naive.  (Read 2458 times)

Offline predator77

• PPHA Forum GURU
  • Ian
    • Facebook
I'm so naive.
« on: December 24, 2010, 04:44:58 AM »
Ok, Every year I get a little more stubborn and I must admit to being naive. I always assume that everyone is experiencing the same as me in the hunting woods when in reality a city or county seems like worlds apart. I can't understand how some hunters never see alot of deer and most think it's impossible for me not to see predator where I live. A couple years ago I heard someones ecaller in one of the pastures I hunt and for some reason I thought it was a one time thing. Well, I heard a ecaller again a couple days ago in one of my spots that is not open to other hunters. I called my taxidermist to see if he slipped in and he said no but there was a truck coming off the neighboring farm every night so he don't know it they're calling or checking traps. Predator hunting is getting so big now and I fear we don't have the animal numbers to support the intrested trappers and hunters. I don't know why for some reason I was the only one chasing the local fox around even after hearing a perfectly orchestrated rabbit sound 2 years ago in my area. So maybe it's not me doing things wrong, Maybe I'm just hunting like a hunter that thinks he was the woods to himself and it's full of critters. I need to find some new places off the beaten path.
FayetteNam

uncle buck

Re: I'm so naive.
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2010, 11:08:55 AM »
So much to know to call in predators the correct way...So many variables too..If they trapped that heavy that could be a reason the populations are down on the land.. I run into that...I don't mind but I like to know before hand so I don't spend a lot of time on those particular farms..   Surely the owner could tell you if they allowed someone to trap there????

A plus...The mating season starts soon...Predators  start to move greater distances and some should move back into your areas..

Biggest mistake that I see when I did hunt with other predator hunters over the years... They walk in to far on their first call stand...

Offline foxtrot

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2010, 05:25:59 PM »
There is more people than we are aware of pursuing predators in one form or another.I experienced the same thing this year while hunting a farm that supposedly no one else had hunted for years.After I had finished calling and was walking back to the truck an E caller started playing about 300 yards from my position, if that wasn't bad enough a shot was fired a short time later.I quess the e caller sounded more appealing than the noise I was making.There is very good spots out there that are very accessable to road hunters and trappers that get hammered ,sometimes a couple times a night.They get so conditioned to the standard sounds that they ignore them.A good example of this is a certain dog that I use as judge for my calls.He use to come running at most every sound I made now that he has heard it all a couple of times he all but ignores me.The only thing that seems to help is to give it a break for a couple of weeks and come back with a different setup and a different call sometimes it works.The three fox that I harvested for the members hunt were all called in on locations that I had been busted on weeks earlier.Different setup and sounds make a difference.

uncle buck

« Reply #3 on: December 25, 2010, 12:36:23 PM »
Recently I had discussion with one of the predator hunter.  You know what can hurt your predator hunting...when you hunt predators with someone that can take or leave predator hunting...See they don't have that fire in them..One that will complain that we should not have predator contest because it archery season..Also ones that use the wrong equipment, know it wrong but still use it,  For example someone who hunts predators at night time with a AO scope.. Now grant you if you know what your doing with an AO scope then it's OK.. Namely I would think you could properly use an AO scope let say if you were using E.W.  rest. See their heart is truly not into the hunt.. They will get you busted time after time after time.. Sadly you think there is no predator around.  They are there but you just have a hunting partner that does not have the big picture.. Grant you we all make mistakes...I just wanted to touch on this part of failure when you hunt predators and you don't get to see any critters...   

Offline predator77

• PPHA Forum GURU
  • Ian
    • Facebook
« Reply #4 on: December 25, 2010, 05:49:14 PM »
I realized something was wrong when I was doing good 3 seasons ago and last season was tough and this season is tougher that when I first started hunting these animals. I should have just faced the facts that others are possibly pressuring them since everything I try differently yields the same results. I've changed approaches, volumes,times,sounds,hand to ecallers and vice versa. I still see some tracks although they are a lot limited as compared to years prior. It's scary to think that I might have to leave my home base to find new fur.
FayetteNam

Offline Hern

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2010, 07:56:30 PM »
77, back in the fur boom ('70's-'80's) competition was heavy for call'n and trap'n and Coon & Fox hunting (with hounds). It was a crazy time. Crazy.
Everyone was looking for 'secrets'. Many articles were being written and some 'secrets' were still not in print. Many of thesehere writters gave up the fur business after prices dropped.
Trap'n lure makers, call manufactures were all stating they had the 'secret'.
Coon & Fox hounds were selling for big dollars and stud fees were high!
High dollar fur was being sought after like the '49 gold rush.
There seem to be 'some else' in your hip pocket at every location. Man, what a time.
Now-a-days...
Our state Coyote population and liberal Coyote laws has spurred alot of interest, in recent years, with predator calling combined with statewide, high-dollar Coyote contests. Many 'new' folks got started at this time to try to kill their 1st Coyote. The call manufactures have jumped on this fact. Leading folks into their products thur heavy advertising and TV call'n shows.
This seasons new Bobcat regulation also spurred more interest.
77, if you stick around long enough you will experience the highs and lows and hopefully things will level out in a few seasons.

Offline predator77

• PPHA Forum GURU
  • Ian
    • Facebook
« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2010, 08:07:27 PM »
Thanks hern and UB.
FayetteNam

Offline Buckwheat

• PPHA Forum GURU
    • http://EWCALLS.com
« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2010, 08:39:37 PM »
Hern
Good post, but do you think it will slow up. It has been a steady rise for at last 15 years. I think trapping may slow down if prices fall to a point it costs to much to check a line, but as far as call slowing up. This is a new question for this call sport today. There is a ton of media that might keep it going that was never there in the past. 
For a brief moment I could hear nature through all the noise.

2008 PPHA State Predator Calling Champion
 Tri-X-Stand Rifle
Rests http://www.ewcalls.com/
Stand in the open, We will make you shine!

Offline Hern

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2010, 07:46:07 PM »
BW, I have seen the fur market drop and trap'n, call'n & hound hunters suffered. Holy Smokes, look at the Coon houndmen and the Fox houndmen. Are there any left in Pa.? Who would have thought Coon and Fox hunting would die out? I know a few 'Coon hunters' (Coonhound guys) are left. But back in the fur boom, hokey cow...tons of Coonhound men and Foxhound men. Did low fur prices and high dollar hounds ruin this sport? Did they price themselves out of business? Will the high dollar call manufacture price themselves out of business some day? Time will tell.
For some reason, folks think they have to make money kill'n fur. So when market is low, so are the fur takers (trappers, predator callers & houndsmen).
I am asked how much did you get for your fur? I answer...How much did you get for the Deer you killed? or the Gobbler you got? or your limit of Trout or Bass?
I couldn't predict the hard economic times that is facing the U.S.A. It's not over. Still plants closing.
So am not going to say predator calling is here forever, always at a high level. BW, we may be experiencing the high point of predator calling, I have no clue. Just happy to see it all happen.
As long as the media has cash $$$ the show will go on.
I do think predator hunters will progress in fur handling. By that, put up or at least skun their fur to sell. Selling fur will offset their purchase on new call'n gear. I know many new folks don't know how to handle fur, once they learn and sell and make a few bucks, well then they will hit predator call'n even harder.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2010, 07:56:16 PM by Hern »