Author Topic: Under calling or over calling...  (Read 2082 times)

Offline icecube

• Senior Forum Member
Under calling or over calling...
« on: November 16, 2009, 06:27:21 PM »
What is the lesser of 2 evils. Also what is the best electronic caller under $200.00 bucks. Thanks ED

Offline predator77

• PPHA Forum GURU
  • Ian
    • Facebook
Re: Under calling or over calling...
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2009, 06:40:51 PM »
I would have to say under calling is better than over calling. You will have less time to educated predators and most prey animals don't take 15 minutes to die. That is just my opinion though. I know of guys that play the call continuously and harvest predators. Calls, I've heard great things about the power dog and I personaly like the Johnny Stewart digital calls. PM series
« Last Edit: November 16, 2009, 06:42:21 PM by predator77 »
FayetteNam

Offline scott

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2009, 06:50:55 PM »
Calling for fox I let it rip for 15 to 20 minutes changing up volume and calls every 2 to 3 minutes.  

coyotes i call for 30 second to 1 min and wait 8 minutes until i call again,  i repeat that for 45 minutes to an hour.  

best call imo for under 200 would be the foxpro spitfire or the JS Preymaster 4 the one with the remote.  If you are going to get the spitfire let me know before you do and i will go through the fury and pick the sounds i like the best, if you wanted me to.  

Offline Leglifter

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2009, 06:57:23 PM »
Icecube
If you're hunting at night and want a really inexpensive call
I'd go with a Cass Creek caller for around 25 bucks.
Called a lot of critters with that during the day, but with no remote, all the focus was on me.
Night time calling, you want the focus on you

Offline icecube

• Senior Forum Member
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2009, 08:17:09 AM »
Thanks guys, Christmas is coming and my girls and wife need something to buy me. I do most of my hunting by myself and I'm new to all this....ED

Offline Grass Stain

• PPHA Members
  • Senior Forum Member
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2009, 03:35:32 PM »
I just bought a Power Dog by Primos 2 days ago LOL Randy Anderson is like my predator god.  Anyhow I used it the same evening I got the call only takes 4AA inunit and 2AAA in remote works easily out to 100yards call sounds great and called 3 dogs in within 10 min of using it . So if your asking try it out its around $150 at Gander Mountain.

Enjoy and have fun
"Live Life for what tomorrow has to offer,Not for what yesterday has taken away!"

D.Sapko
District 6

uncle buck

« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2009, 11:46:24 PM »
It really depends on what your hunting for......Coyotes.....your better off to undercall thats for sure but that does not mean that your not going to call in a coyote when your letting your fox sounds rip into the night......

I was hunting with my brother Tom last evening.......I  must have tried 6 or 7 sounds on the FX5 to call in fox...Nothing showed...It was about 30 minutes into the calling...I used a Crit-R-Call Song Dog Jr and did a call that only a few people have heard..It would not win a contest thats for sure....W minutes into my calling I hear BANG!!!!!!!!!!!A Red Fox....

So  let her rip for fox....I say but coyote mum is better......

Offline Seeking_Coyotes

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2009, 12:02:10 PM »
In my limited experience....let er rip for fox and by all means use the woodpecker distress call.   ;)