Author Topic: Hunting areas  (Read 1554 times)

Offline lone howler

Hunting areas
« on: November 15, 2009, 11:02:57 PM »
Just started last year and am looking for lots of info from everyone. I am wondering if anyone has ever gone to any sheep or goat farms to call for coyotes? there are a few farms like that around here and am wondering if its worth it. I guess if the landowners have a problem they will be more that willing to let me hunt.  And for that matter has anyone heard of coyote hassling cows around these parts?

Offline Hern

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
Re: Hunting areas
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2009, 05:59:21 AM »
I am wondering if anyone has ever gone to any sheep or goat farms to call for coyotes?
Several years ago I was contacted by a sheep farmer that was having a Coyote problem.
I took care of the problem.
Next season I ask permission to hunt and was turn down. Flat out...NO.
Sheep farmer's reasoning was...I killed the sheep killer and he hasn't a problem since, and know other Coyotes are in the area. If I kill more Coyotes, another sheep killer may move in.
His reasoning made sense to me.
I didn't tell him I Call and Trap 2 neighboring propertys. But he hasn't had any problems, because I stop in every 2-3 years  and ask.

Offline scott

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2009, 01:04:01 PM »
one farm i currently hunt had sheep,  the farmer would say when the coyotes were teaching their young to kill he would find 7 or 8 dead each morning, the coyotes would chase them and back them up into a corner of the fence then kill them.   he has since gotten rid of the sheep he said the coyotes are still around but not in the numbers they once were. 

uncle buck

« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2009, 01:54:22 PM »
Every May and June a sheep farmer contacts us and ask if we will come out and try to kill some coyotes that are killing their sheep...See the coyotes in May and June need protien for their pups...What an easy kill since sheep won't even run...They just go to the corner...The coyote grabs them by the throat.....

I wonder if you all caught the info provided by Dave Dunbar via the video of the NH study....She, the doctor said that if you throw out a pile of a certain dead animal the coyotes will like it and start to kill it...If the sheep farmer discards any of the lambs, afterbirth, or sheep that die on piles the coytoes will eat it and then go after the living coyotes.  Same thing like people who feed the coyotes in neighboorhoods with dog food.  That brings in the coyotes, they eat the dog food and then they start to eat the domestic dogs and cats too.  Same thing with deer......

So yes you can hunt sheep farms....However it would be better to gain permission and even harvest coyotes in May and June since that when they get a hankering for easy prey.  By the way if you want to save a few deer this is the time of the year to kill coyotes since they are also eating fawn and they come in so easy for turkeys...May...Gobbler season,,,, coyote pups.......No wonder they come to the butterball sounds then and many a Spring Gobbler hunters get shots at turkeys..

Offline lone howler

« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2009, 10:47:53 PM »
Thanks. Thats been great info so far!