Author Topic: Whats the best skinning knife??  (Read 2450 times)

Offline Misterjake23

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
Whats the best skinning knife??
« on: July 31, 2013, 12:52:47 PM »
     With the predator season soon approaching and everyone starting to gear up, I was curious if anyone could suggest a good skinning knife??

Back in the day, my dad use to use a 3 bladed, folding,  "Buck" pocket knife.  That way he was always sure to have a sharp blade.  I assume most guys skin  the hide out in the field, so a good sharp knife is an important piece of gear.

Just curious as to what other guys prefer to use as a skinning knife?  Any suggestions?
Jake
York, PA
Bee's O'Brien Field Staff
If you heard my shot, Feel lucky...I wasn't aiming at you!

Offline Bowman66

• Global Moderator
  • PPHA Forum GURU
  • Work the bolt and give'em a jolt!
Re: Whats the best skinning knife??
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2013, 01:17:29 PM »
Outdoor edge makes some really nice knives that work great on deer and hold a hell of an edge. There worth a look.
Darin Hosier
Bee's O'Brien Game Call's
Pro Staff

Offline bigben

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2013, 02:04:59 PM »
I skin at home but like the old timer finger blade that isnt made in china. The new ones are junk steel. Or i use one i made. I would like to get a good damascus steel blade and make one soon but i got a couple good d2 tool steel blades in limbo that need finished

This shape has been favorite of mine for a while. A nice piece of cherry is sitting at home waiting on it.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2013, 02:11:05 PM by bigben »
“If you want to know all about a man, go camping with him. Probably you think you know him already, but if you have never camped on the trail with him, you do not”. Eldred Nathaniel Woodcock. “Fifty Years a Hunter and Trapper.”

uncle buck

« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2013, 03:07:32 AM »
I have a few of the TRAPPER model knives... I usually have about  three laying on the table when I skin..  Buck, Case, Grandad, Old Pal,... I sharpen all three... Some people use the Muskrat models... I like any good brand that is the TRAPPER Model... IMO the Trapper Model is what a person should use for skinning fox etc..
« Last Edit: August 06, 2013, 03:08:56 AM by uncle buck »

Offline TrappinJohn

• Seasoned Forum Member
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2013, 09:49:29 PM »
I've tried a lot of different knives over the years, but found the Chicago 4 Inch Skinning Knife to be my favorite.  Inexpensive, comfortable and hold a pretty good edge.  For $8 or $10, a guy can have several sharpened up and ready to go.

Offline jeremybrua

• Seasoned Forum Member
  • i can can do it because i dont know that i cant.
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2013, 09:12:04 AM »
I just got one of those havalon knifes with the scalpel blades.  The knife I use the most is a razor knife with a hook blade.

Offline Papa1

• Junior Forum Member
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2013, 09:47:45 PM »
I'm up to 7 Beaver W/my Dunn and have only touched my diamond steel.  Besides, they are made in America and the Dunn owners are GOOD to sportsmen's groups.  Dick
NRA Life-Benefactor   USP Member  SASS Life member  Mosquito Creek Life Member