Author Topic: Spring bear hunt in Maine  (Read 3532 times)

Offline coyotenightmare

• PPHA Members
  • Seasoned Forum Member
Spring bear hunt in Maine
« on: February 27, 2013, 04:52:56 PM »
Anyone have interest in going on a spring bear hunt in Maine? I am trying to make up my mind if I want to go and am hoping I can find someone else that is interested in going. I plan to take my bow and maybe a Glock 45 acp for personal protection.  A buddy going with would help with fuel costs. Old guys tell me all the time to do what I can now and don't wait till I am older. Trying to follow their advice and book some hunts the next couple years...

Offline Leglifter

• PPHA Forum GURU
Re: Spring bear hunt in Maine
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2013, 04:58:01 PM »
I'd agree with the "old"ones.
It's wise and time is precious

Offline Posty40

« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2013, 07:06:28 PM »
I am pretty sure there is no longer a spring season in Maine. Fall only Starts early September.

Offline Lookn4Fur

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2013, 08:53:02 PM »
I may be interested.  My son wants to go bear hunting for his graduation gift.  Pm me any info you have.
"Predators are either active & feeding, semi-active & callable, or utterly inactive & then practically speaking, no call is needed; we're just taking our guns for a walk. We can & should get used to it, & follow their leed cuz they just ain't eager nor apt to follow our’s any time soon!

Offline Misterjake23

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2013, 10:54:17 PM »
     If you don't go to Maine anddon't mind going to Canada (not real far up) let me know.  I know a guy in York that guides Bear hunts in Canada.  He guarantees opportuinity, but can't guarantee a kill due to the person shooting.  He specializes in Archery spring hunts.

The hunt is around $1200-$1500.  License is extra....i think
Jake
York, PA
Bee's O'Brien Field Staff
If you heard my shot, Feel lucky...I wasn't aiming at you!

Offline Posty40

« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2013, 08:54:37 PM »
I have a small hunting cabin in west central Maine (just SW of Kingfield) if anyone has an interst in hunting some big woods. We have partridge, hares, moose, coyotes and good fishing. There are some deer and bear but not abundent. Let me know if there is a desire by a member to try hunting Maine. It only sleeps four comfortably but is quite modern.

Offline Misterjake23

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2013, 09:28:17 PM »
     I would be up for going to Maine.  If you remember, hit me up sometime you're heading up. 
Jake
York, PA
Bee's O'Brien Field Staff
If you heard my shot, Feel lucky...I wasn't aiming at you!

Offline coyotenightmare

• PPHA Members
  • Seasoned Forum Member
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2013, 09:17:45 AM »
PM sent to those interested. I am still doing some research to find a good and reputable outfitter. From what I understand, spring bear hunts are limited to Indian reservations.

Offline coyotenightmare

• PPHA Members
  • Seasoned Forum Member
« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2013, 02:57:06 PM »
Booked a hunt with Huntley Brook Guide Service.  Still room for someone to go with.

Offline TrappinJohn

• Seasoned Forum Member
« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2013, 05:55:35 PM »
I trapped a bear in 2004 with Bounty Hunter Guide Service.  Was very satisfied and would use them again.

Offline predator1

• Junior Forum Member
« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2013, 04:29:26 PM »
Maine is an awesome place.I,ve been fortunate enough to spend a bunch of time in Maine through the years.Had a friend that had a lodge up past Baxter state park.We used to run bear baits up for his fall hunts.Great country to be in and explore.He sold out a few years back and opened a fishing place in Alaska.The old-timer is right.Do it while your young(or in my case semi-young)because time flies and before you know it your 50ish-LOL.I know I,ll never look back and say-DANG I wish i would have worked a lot more.Have a great day!!!!!

Offline Lookn4Fur

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2013, 07:42:52 PM »
Are you sure there is a spring season in maine?  I thought i saw different in a magazine.
"Predators are either active & feeding, semi-active & callable, or utterly inactive & then practically speaking, no call is needed; we're just taking our guns for a walk. We can & should get used to it, & follow their leed cuz they just ain't eager nor apt to follow our’s any time soon!

Offline Lookn4Fur

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #12 on: March 16, 2013, 07:45:26 PM »
Sorry.  Just saw the indian reservation reference above.  What are the dates again?

Offline jaspr1

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #13 on: March 17, 2013, 06:03:17 AM »
You should check and see if this outfit does coyotes...the last time I was up, I hunted in Moro Plantation west of Smyrna Mills..there were more coyote tracks than anything else....I think their night season runs up till June 1st..I'm not a bear hunter but I would go for the brook trout fishing, beautiful streams...I agree with P1 awesome place...Good Luck... 8)